Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lease - excess wear and tear insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who leased, were you given the option of purchasing "excess wear and tear" insurance (sometimes also called waiver) so that you don't have to worry about extra charges when returning the car?

If so how much was it?

the only thing that I know of that comes close is some dealerships will sell "ding" insurance to cover body damages. when my son leased a VW he bought that for +/- $250 and it covered minor dings and dents but not excessive body damages from a crash. I don't believe Tesla offers these plans, maybe a google search would turn up some sources.

For those of you who leased, were you given the option of purchasing "excess wear and tear" insurance (sometimes also called waiver) so that you don't have to worry about extra charges when returning the car?

If so how much was it?

I doubt under normal circumstances you would need unless you are terribly hard on your auto. I have been leasing for 18 years and never charged a penny except for 1 tire that was under the safe tread limit. All lease companies must give you their criteria for what is considered normal wear and tear BEFORE you take the car if you ask. MOST consider body damage that cannot be covered by a credit card (in size; like a scratch/minor ding/dent and NOT a HOLE), one place on each of the 4 sides, a violation requiring repair or fee. Interior is a bit more subjective, but unless your seats or carpet are ripper or frayed, you should be OK. Ask upfront what the acceptance criteria will be at time of return and get it in writing. They have to provide, its the law.

I picked up my MS a month ago and asked multiple times for such insurance. They don't offer it. I would have bought it, especially for my 21" turbine rims.

I may be mistaken, but wheels usually are not covered and require a separate policy. There is already a thread on here somewhere. On my previous cars, I was always offered the policy due to having a low profile setup, but I turned them down. It was like $500, plus a deductible for each occurrence. I've been lucky and never needed the coverage. I also live where the streets are pretty much like glass. Up north, I can understand that there are areas/states that you probably should have coverage.

Lastly, that's one reason I went with the 19" on my MS. I got tired of babying the car over little bumps and the rough ride I seemed to like at first, but in the end did not. YMMV.