TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Leather wrinkling after 3 days??

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by eddysan, Aug 30, 2016.

1. eddysan

eddysan Member

Has anyone had issues with leather seat wrinkles so soon after delivery. I am a 75d owner. Just got my car 3 weeks ago.

Attached Files:

2. eddysan

eddysan Member

Also, I'm normal height weight 155 lbs.

3. 00poop6x

00poop6x Member

I wouldn't be surprised of it wrinkling so early, it is leather afterall. Depending on a lot of factors before delivery, the condition of the leather may benefit from an initial moisturization/conditioning to help prevent this over time.

4. McManX

McManX Member

I also had the same wrinkle in my early 90D delivery. It went away after a few weeks.

5. Nader

Nader Member

Yup. I noticed the same thing after 400 mile road trip. Since they borrowed some Mercedes parts for the interior they should've asked them who supplied the leather for their seats. ;-) Benz leather holds up really well in my experience

The thing that bothers me the most is that the trim is already getting destroyed on the inside of the B pillar. This will only be an issue with taller drivers since the seat sits back farther and they rub on the inside of the B pillar when entering and exiting the car

6. markn455

markn455 Member

This has happened on every leather seat car I have owned. I think it's just they way it is with leather seating.

7. onesixeight

onesixeight Member

I had the same wrinkling on my X. The leather quality in Teslas are certainly not up to par with the Nappa leather surfaces that BMW or Mercedes uses. I think its also due to the softer foam cushioning that is on the bottom part of the seat, I feel other car makers use a firmer foam that doesn't helps not to put a lot of stretch on the leather.

• Informative x 1
  8. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Not a leather expert, but it seems there's not enough tension on the leather during stitching process or simply a little too much material causing excess to move around as you sit on the leather.

If that's the case, design refinement should be considered.

We don't see that on the Porsches, MBZ, or any other cars we work on daily.

9. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Generally this is caused by excess moisture. Were you in rain and your pants/shorts got wet? Is it excessively humid? If it's moisture related and the conditions change to the dryer, it should resolve in a week or less.

10. Shelly

Shelly Member

Wow I am so surprised for the leather wrinkling, the car is not cheap, if it's mine i can accept it. Though it only three weeks. If it will go with time pass by then no problem. My friend got his model x last month, it looks perfect. Smooth no any wrinkling....

Attached Files:

11. Spidy

Spidy Member

That was my first impression, too. Looks like the leather is kinda loose and not evenly stretched in all directions.