Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leather wrinkling after 3 days??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had issues with leather seat wrinkles so soon after delivery. I am a 75d owner. Just got my car 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 808
I wouldn't be surprised of it wrinkling so early, it is leather afterall. Depending on a lot of factors before delivery, the condition of the leather may benefit from an initial moisturization/conditioning to help prevent this over time.

Yup. I noticed the same thing after 400 mile road trip. Since they borrowed some Mercedes parts for the interior they should've asked them who supplied the leather for their seats. ;-) Benz leather holds up really well in my experience

The thing that bothers me the most is that the trim is already getting destroyed on the inside of the B pillar. This will only be an issue with taller drivers since the seat sits back farther and they rub on the inside of the B pillar when entering and exiting the car

I had the same wrinkling on my X. The leather quality in Teslas are certainly not up to par with the Nappa leather surfaces that BMW or Mercedes uses. I think its also due to the softer foam cushioning that is on the bottom part of the seat, I feel other car makers use a firmer foam that doesn't helps not to put a lot of stretch on the leather.

• Informative
Reactions: rjcbox
Not a leather expert, but it seems there's not enough tension on the leather during stitching process or simply a little too much material causing excess to move around as you sit on the leather.

If that's the case, design refinement should be considered.

We don't see that on the Porsches, MBZ, or any other cars we work on daily.

Reactions: Diavel
Wow I am so surprised for the leather wrinkling, the car is not cheap, if it's mine i can accept it. Though it only three weeks. If it will go with time pass by then no problem. My friend got his model x last month, it looks perfect. Smooth no any wrinkling....

Attachments

• 711i4OBHeWL._SL1001_.jpg
    711i4OBHeWL._SL1001_.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 630
Not a leather expert, but it seems there's not enough tension on the leather during stitching process or simply a little too much material causing excess to move around as you sit on the leather.

If that's the case, design refinement should be considered.

We don't see that on the Porsches, MBZ, or any other cars we work on daily.
That was my first impression, too. Looks like the leather is kinda loose and not evenly stretched in all directions.

Wow I am so surprised for the leather wrinkling, the car is not cheap, if it's mine i can accept it. Though it only three weeks. If it will go with time pass by then no problem. My friend got his model x last month, it looks perfect. Smooth no any wrinkling....
The white leather is not real leather, is synthetic. The only issues with wrinkling are being reported for real leather seats (black, grey and tan)

I just got my car on Saturday, I have wrinkling issues from the get go. Having owned other luxury cars, it is difficult to digest the current quality of the leather seats. We complained during delivery and they told us that this wrinkling is present with all the cars that have real leather. Is this true? If such, there is a huge quality control issue, because the stitching should be tighter....

Picked up Sunday with same issues in tan leather. Was told it was normal and some cars had even more wrinkles than ours. Not as pronounced in the front seats but loose and slacky in the 2nd and 3rd row. Will bring it up at the next SC appt when the realign and replace the seal on the driver side FWD.

My concern is I don't know what the fix would be. Based on TMS research it doesn't seem like any member has escalated to the warranty/fix stage.

Surprisingly the leather is bothering me more than any other issues with the car which we are "overlooking."

Very disappointed in my tan leather seats and had the DS to note this on my delivery sheet. I told him this is not acceptable for a $116,000 auto.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0587_1.JPG
    IMG_0587_1.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_0588.JPG
    IMG_0588.JPG
    385.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0591_1.JPG
    IMG_0591_1.JPG
    317.1 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mmd
Quality of the 'leather' of the seats for me is really disappointing. Our 4yo base Hyundai i30 has leather seats that are superior and not showing nearly as much wear as my 3 month old MS. The Tesla seat material can't be real leather and the drivers side seat outer edge doesn't look like it will survive the life of the vehicle at this rate. Also there is a scuff on the piping that I'm sure will get worse and loose the top completely. This all caused by me the only driver carefully entering and exiting every time in that super careful first few months of ownership, so no way to avoid it, the quality just not up to normal wear and tear. When it's new it looks and feels great! But it doesn't stay that way long!