Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leaving Phone in Car while at work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How come nobody has yet suggested Pin-to-Drive?

Because, while that will prevent someone from driving off with the car, it will not prevent them from opening the car doors and possibly taking items out of the car. The question was about locking the car with the phone inside the car. Pin to drive only prevents drive off, but doesnt have anything to do with locking the vehicle itself.

Around the DC Metro area there are many sites with a no phone policy. These sites have lockers for small electronics but there are not enough lockers to accommodate the need so the phone must stay in the vehicle. An insulated lunch box and 2 freezer packs will keep your phone on ice for more than 8 hours even in summer (so I have been told.)

Reactions: CapsEngineer
You definitely want to keep your phone on ice, as flash memory data retention & lifetime drops in half for every 5C (9F) increase in temperature. A car inside temperature can easily exceed 60C (140F).

If you put it inside the glove box, you should probably put a pin on opening the glove box. For the phone, don't put it inside a metal foiled container for the ice, as that will reduce the cell power signal, causing the phone to put out more power to try to reach a cell, and the phone will discharge faster.

I cant take my phone into my workplace at all (not even to be left at reception/entry) - I therefore have to leave it in the glovebox oy my car. What is the best way to manage this? I presume I can lock my car with a card and open it also - but will the phone in the car impact? Any suggestions - only thing I can think of is to turn off my phone (or Bluetooth) and leave it in the car, using the card to lock and reopen? Any smarter ideas? Thanks (p.s taking my phone with me onto our premise is not an option at all [security] - and I do have to lock my car on exit).
Do you work in corrections? I did for a period of time and turning phone off and using card was the only option that made sense.

Another option that will saves you from forgetting to turn off BT is a 'blocking pouch' for the phone. If the phone is inside, it blocks all wireless communication from and to the phone. You just slide the phone into it and that's it.

I turn on secondary verification . If if have my cell on a the mount I
can sometimes forget it as it sits there and runs Waze and Ytube music .
Also secondary verification and caring the card around your neck while
doing water sports is a good option. I turn off the phone and leave it in the
glove or put it in airplane mode when leaving the car.

Another option that will saves you from forgetting to turn off BT is a 'blocking pouch' for the phone. If the phone is inside, it blocks all wireless communication from and to the phone. You just slide the phone into it and that's it.
If you do slide in into a pouch, you should definitely turn the phone off (or put in airline mode). If you don't, the phone will try to connect to the closest tower, increasing the power until it can. When you come back after work, you may find your battery dead!

Just to bring this up to date. I don't know about back in March or April, but now you can go into the app under "Security" and disable the phone key with a single click. Don't have to disable bluetooth or permanently remove the phone as a key.

Reactions: David99
HAHA!

I find it amusing that "security" at his job doesn't permit him to bring his cell phone, but doesn't provide "security" for his car? ;):D
Sounds like a defense contractor. I interviewed with one a while back and the job was basically "leave all electronics in your car and work in a secured EMI-shielded windowless room with no outside connection".

That said I lock my phone (and card, because it's in my wallet) in the car during my morning workout. I have a Tasker/Bolt routine that disables Bluetooth based on calendar entries, and my watch can work as a key. If that fails and my phone doesn't re-enable itself, I can call borrow someone's phone to call my wife and have her unlock the car for me. But usually I'm not even leaving sight of the car.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Or completely disable/delete the phone key and get a key fob instead so you can still have the convenience features without having to remember your phone Bluetooth settings multiple times a day.
I have "phone key" disabled in my app and use a fob. For some stupid reason, the car will ignore walk away lock if I leave the phone in the car but take my fob with me. If I take the phone and fob with me, it will auto lock. If I leave the phone at home for a trip and just bring the fob, the car will auto unlock/auto lock as expected.

The fob is definitely tied to my profile (if I change to my wife's, get out, lock and unlock, my profile is restored; no phone present). Walk away lock is turned on in my profile.

Anyone have a solution? This feels like a bug. Or at least really bad UX design.

I have "phone key" disabled in my app and use a fob. For some stupid reason, the car will ignore walk away lock if I leave the phone in the car but take my fob with me. If I take the phone and fob with me, it will auto lock. If I leave the phone at home for a trip and just bring the fob, the car will auto unlock/auto lock as expected.

The fob is definitely tied to my profile (if I change to my wife's, get out, lock and unlock, my profile is restored; no phone present). Walk away lock is turned on in my profile.

Anyone have a solution? This feels like a bug. Or at least really bad UX design.
Phone can use LTE, BT and NFC to lock/unlock and drive the Tesla Model Y. Turn off the phone.

Phone can use LTE, BT and NFC to lock/unlock and drive the Tesla Model Y. Turn off the phone.
Not helpful. If I need to remember to shut off the phone, I wouldn't forget and leave it in my car, would I?

If the phone didn't unlock the car, its presence shouldn't prevent the car from locking. If that’s what’s happening, it’s either a bug or a bad UX design.

Last edited:
Not helpful. If I need to remember to shut off the phone, I wouldn't forget and leave it in my car, would I?

If the phone didn't unlock the car, its presence shouldn't prevent the car from locking. If that’s what’s happening, it’s either a bug or a bad UX design.
Not necessarily. Some can't bring the phone into their workplace so the phone must remain in their vehicle.

It's not supposed to, unless it is a phone key. He has that disabled in the app.

I found the same thing. Turned off the phone key in the app, yet it still functions like a phone key.
I have noticed the same thing. It doesn't seem to be consistent. I believe when you entered the car with the phone key and then turn it off in the app, it will not immediately disable and leave you unable to drive. I believe only once you take the phone with you and park the car, it will not work as a key any more. So leaving the phone in the car doesn't work even if the phone key is disabled in the app.