Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Leds on main PCB in the MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Leds.jpg
Should all these leds be on normally? Does this indikate trouble with the power supply circuits? The car is a 2014 model S

The MCU is on my workbench with 12V from a power supply. Screen is still connected but black. It takes about 0.8 A.
When I put back in the car, I can drive the car but the MCU seems braindead. Scroll wheel reset makes the leds go out and come back again after a few seconds.

Here’s what mine looks like for a comparison:
1663189A-350C-49E8-8010-4085B94AF19B.jpeg

If you can connect to the screen via Ethernet you can troubleshoot more... most common cause of “black screen” is corrupt emmc. If cid-updater is still loading (and/or you can get to recovery mode), you may be able to install updated fw and get up and running again.

If you want to test more on the board, meter the 3.3V, 5V, And 12V rails at one of their labeled test points and make sure you have good stable voltage for all.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Tried Ethernet. The yellow led lit up and the green flashed quickly. (arrow in pic.) I tried to ping 192.168.90.100. No reaktion.
I tried both ethernet connections with the same result.

The 5V0LCD and the 12V0LCD are on on your board. Are they turned on in a later stage in the boot sequence?

The problems started when I was listening to Aerosmith on spotify! Occationally the MCU didnt start up. Then, after from a couple of minutes to an hour, it could start without warning. It was like this a couple of months til I tried "return to factory settings". After that it has shown no signs of life at all. SO DON'T LISTEN TO AEROSMITH.

Leds2.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: appleguru
Tried Ethernet. The yellow led lit up and the green flashed quickly. (arrow in pic.) I tried to ping 192.168.90.100. No reaktion.
I tried both ethernet connections with the same result.

The 5V0LCD and the 12V0LCD are on on your board. Are they turned on in a later stage in the boot sequence?

The problems started when I was listening to Aerosmith on spotify! Occationally the MCU didnt start up. Then, after from a couple of minutes to an hour, it could start without warning. It was like this a couple of months til I tried "return to factory settings". After that it has shown no signs of life at all. SO DON'T LISTEN TO AEROSMITH.

View attachment 387775

Which ethernet port are you connected to? Unless you unlock it, the diagnostic port will be locked down/you won't be able to ping. But you should be able to ping from the IC port. try pinging 192.168.90.102 (the gw) and 192.168.90.100 (cid).