Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I searched and could not find this message.

Driving with AP this morning on highway and this message popped up:;

Left door pillar camera blocked or blinded
Clear camera or wait for it to regain visibility

I noticed that the morning sun was directly on my door. AP continued to work except for auto lane change in the left direction. When I would turn away from the sun the message would disappear. When I stopped and checked cameras they were clear. I did a reboot just to make sure it was not a fluke message.

On the way home I would get the Right Door message when turned toward the sun and disappear when turned away from sun.

HW 2.5 and EAP only.

Has anyone else seen this message?

I just picked up my M3P a few days ago and every morning since I have received this message, "Right door pillar camera blocked or blinded". I get this only during the hours of darkness so it's not blinded and its not blocked as you can see from the pics I have added. Was going to contact service if this continues.

IMG_F44A79D70090-1.jpeg
IMG_505392A53A45-1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: jdcollins5
I saw this particular message for the first time today. However, I think it's a more specific variant of the 'blind spot detection reduced' (or something like that) message pre-2019.40.2.1, which showed up whenever a camera's view was impaired.

For me, it's condensation on the inside of the glass that encases the driver side pillar B camera.

Had it this morning and have had it several other mornings. In each case, it is AM commute and my right pillar camera. Looked at it today, condensation. Interestingly, my morning commute is towards the East, so the right side is always facing the sun. And in every case I can recall, it happened right after my front windshield fogged up, necessitating the front defroster.

Got the message as well for the right pillar camera which was facing a bright, low early morning sun. As soon as I made a turn away from the sun, the message went away. A minute or so my next turn put the camera back into the sun again, and there was no message. I haven’t had the message a second time.

I had this yesterday for the first time, too. I suspect the fact that we are just days from the winter solstice is part of the reason. The sun is lower in the southern sky than any other time of year, and thus will be more blinding than when it's higher in the sky.

Had my M3 here in the UK for a week now, after latest update I have been getting the left door pillar camera blocked or blinded message on pretty much every drive, both day time and at night. Camera is clean, no condensation or anything blocking it. Right side has been fine.