Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Legacy Auto Makers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been a long time advocate for Chrysler vehicle's. I absolutely love my 2020 Ram 1500. But have had 2 service experiences this week. One with Chrysler the other with Tesla. It just seems like the industry just doesn't get it.

Scheduled an oil change on Monday with my ram 1500. Was Scheduled at my local chrysler dealer. I paid extra for service including maintenance and paid hefty for it. Anyways I show up for my 15 minute oil change only to be told they are extremely busy and would be 2 hours if they are even to get to the vehicle.... For Fu** Sakes. Whats the point of making an appointment. Ended up going to the local oil shop and paying to have it done.

Tesla was scheduled today to complete the FSD retrofit and also HW 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade o
20200715_133714_008.jpg
n my vehicle. Showed up on time. Completed the service as expected and even had a couple games of pool with me while waiting for updates to complete.

It just seems as though the legacy auto industry just doesn't understand. Really frustrating as I still love my ICE vehicles.... But it seems like they are just so out of touch with their customers.

It varies. I don't have a lot of experience with car service centers since I do all my own maintenance. Of course, this doesn't hold true for the Tesla. The only experience I have there was for a camera alignment issue - it wasn't fixed the first time and they left my car with greasy fingerprints all over my window/door handle. Also, I made an appointment for multiple MCU screen resets while driving and my appointment is 3 weeks.

Now, on the rare occasion I have to take my wife's Porsche to the service center, I get incredible and fast service. It helps that they are independently owned and there is some competition.

I also have a Ram 2500 I use for towing. I take this to an independent mechanic only on those issues I can't fix (usually due to not having the right tools).

Just my 2 cents,
-craigger.

Remember, the dealers have a service department because it is required if they want to sell cars. The success of service is less important than it's existence. (The lack of dealer+service what impedes Tesla from selling in some states.)

I think the last time they understood was 1965. Dealers are terrible nowadays. Constantly hear about bad experiences from people and recently from 2 co-workers. 1 Mazda & 1 Toyota - both sales and service. It all starts with people.....

Remember, the dealers have a service department because it is required if they want to sell cars. The success of service is less important than it's existence.
This is fully and completely backwards. You could actually go so far as to say that dealerships really only sell new cars so they can service them.

Modern dealerships make almost all of their money on service, not sales.

Modern dealerships make almost all of their money on service, not sales.

You're not wrong, dealers make plenty of profit on service.

Service Department Now Makes Up 49% of Your dealership's Gross Profit

I was implying that they "don't care" about the service quality because they have you in a closed ecosystem; you can't really go anywhere else for warranty repairs, factory recalls, or OEM parts.

They also do crappy things, like sell you a "free oil changes!" service contract with the car, but then make you wait 3 hours when you come in. They already have your money so they DGAF.

Good for you. My FSD upgrade appointment was cancelled and I was told to go to the service center.

Must be nice to be able to walk from the dealer and go around the block to another shop.

There is a Tesla certified body shop near me that can do things like alignments and other types of general maintenance. They can also do part replacement for many items since they are a body shop. So yes, one can bring a Tesla to another shop outside of Tesla service centers for many tasks. Can also bring it to BelleTire for basic service and tires. Granted it’s not around the block but it is near by. About two hours closer in fact.

Of course would need to bring it in to Tesla for the FSD upgrade. Or they come to your house.

Have been a long time advocate for Chrysler vehicle's. I absolutely love my 2020 Ram 1500. But have had 2 service experiences this week. One with Chrysler the other with Tesla. It just seems like the industry just doesn't get it.

Scheduled an oil change on Monday with my ram 1500. Was Scheduled at my local chrysler dealer. I paid extra for service including maintenance and paid hefty for it. Anyways I show up for my 15 minute oil change only to be told they are extremely busy and would be 2 hours if they are even to get to the vehicle.... For Fu** Sakes. Whats the point of making an appointment. Ended up going to the local oil shop and paying to have it done.

Tesla was scheduled today to complete the FSD retrofit and also HW 2.0 to 3.0 upgrade oView attachment 565012 n my vehicle. Showed up on time. Completed the service as expected and even had a couple games of pool with me while waiting for updates to complete.

It just seems as though the legacy auto industry just doesn't understand. Really frustrating as I still love my ICE vehicles.... But it seems like they are just so out of touch with their customers.

This is a funny post! It was a visit to my dealer for regularly-scheduled maintenance on *my* RAM 1500 this past May that sealed the deal for me to trade it in for a Tesla.

I wanted to schedule service on the truck online so that I wouldn't need to call anyone. I was especially intrigued about doing this since I got a notification through the Uconnect app to download the Mopar app which touts this as one of its features.

Upon downloading the app and logging in, I struggled to find the link to click that would let me put in a service request. Once I found it, I had to fill out what felt like a long-ish form and pick a time and a dealer from which the service would be performed. (Why it didn't pick my default dealer which I selected in the Uconnect app is beyond me.) After filling out the form and clicking 'Submit' (or something like it; it's been a while since this happened), **the request timed out**! It lost all of my data. This was very frustrating.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I tried doing it through the website. It was the _same_ form, but for some reason, I was able to successfully submit the request that way. I didn't get an email confirming the request, and there wasn't a history of this request ever having been recorded in my account, so I had to remember the date/time I scheduled the service. It was also interesting to me that every time slot was open.

Upon getting to the dealer's service center (at the right time), I was told that there was a wait and that I had to hang out in the waiting area. I asked him about the time that I booked online; he replied, "Yeah...that doesn't really matter." I love useful-sounding features that are useless! He also asked me if I had a wheel lock. I didn't know what that was (I'm not a car guy); he laughed in surprise upon telling him that I didn't know what that was. That put a bad taste in my mouth.

The cherry on top for the whole experience was actually pretty small: _not one_ of the members in the service center or dealership were wearing masks. While this was during the period in which cases were declining, I found that unbelievably irresponsible given that they are all in a customer-facing position.

This is a funny post! It was a visit to my dealer for regularly-scheduled maintenance on *my* RAM 1500 this past May that sealed the deal for me to trade it in for a Tesla.

I wanted to schedule service on the truck online so that I wouldn't need to call anyone. I was especially intrigued about doing this since I got a notification through the Uconnect app to download the Mopar app which touts this as one of its features.

Upon downloading the app and logging in, I struggled to find the link to click that would let me put in a service request. Once I found it, I had to fill out what felt like a long-ish form and pick a time and a dealer from which the service would be performed. (Why it didn't pick my default dealer which I selected in the Uconnect app is beyond me.) After filling out the form and clicking 'Submit' (or something like it; it's been a while since this happened), **the request timed out**! It lost all of my data. This was very frustrating.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I tried doing it through the website. It was the _same_ form, but for some reason, I was able to successfully submit the request that way. I didn't get an email confirming the request, and there wasn't a history of this request ever having been recorded in my account, so I had to remember the date/time I scheduled the service. It was also interesting to me that every time slot was open.

Upon getting to the dealer's service center (at the right time), I was told that there was a wait and that I had to hang out in the waiting area. I asked him about the time that I booked online; he replied, "Yeah...that doesn't really matter." I love useful-sounding features that are useless! He also asked me if I had a wheel lock. I didn't know what that was (I'm not a car guy); he laughed in surprise upon telling him that I didn't know what that was. That put a bad taste in my mouth.

The cherry on top for the whole experience was actually pretty small: _not one_ of the members in the service center or dealership were wearing masks. While this was during the period in which cases were declining, I found that unbelievably irresponsible given that they are all in a customer-facing position.

Dealing with my local Chrysler dealers has been nothing but problematic. The last time I took one of my company vehicles into the shop the Tech. working on the vehicle blew over on the interlock breathalyzer and had to get reset. Costed me a few hundred bucks. Was installed due to an employee issue. But still very unprofessional tl have workers either hung over or drunk on the job working kn vehicles. Still till this day I never got a refund or an explanation as too why the vehicle came back with a fail. Thats one of many stories