Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Less energy is available due to cold battery" trying to charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no way to know what that icon really indicates. It could just be that the computer has commanded the battery heater to turn on, and not actual confirmation that the relay has actual closed, voltage is present, current is flowing, and the heater is actually heating.

But yeah, if the icon isn't there, it sure begs the question, "why?"

There is definitely no battery heater icon on the iPhone app on my phone and I do preheat my car at least once a week. I know what this icon looks like. I just always assumed because I’m an early build I don’t have this “feature” whatever it is.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
But that would still have to draw power from the battery, reducing your SoC, and since the battery is too cold it can't be charged during the off pulses.

If you are going to do that you might as well just turn it on and let it drain the battery. You would get to the end result quicker: either the batter gets warm enough to charge or the battery is run dead and you are screwed.
True... maybe the UI can prompt “do you feel lucky today?” and ask.

That would explain why it won’t work on a low power L2, but on a higher power L2 (40A x 200V) or supercharger it should definitely have enough power to run the battery heater.

The other possibility is that the battery heater cannot draw power from shore power directly, but instead can only draw from the battery. I know for example that the motor regen must go back into the battery before it can be used on the model S, as regen can be totally 0 on a cold battery even when the cabin and battery heater is going full blast drawing 10-12kw.

True... maybe the UI can prompt “do you feel lucky today?” and ask.

That would explain why it won’t work on a low power L2, but on a higher power L2 (40A x 200V) or supercharger it should definitely have enough power to run the battery heater.

The other possibility is that the battery heater cannot draw power from shore power directly, but instead can only draw from the battery. I know for example that the motor regen must go back into the battery before it can be used on the model S, as regen can be totally 0 on a cold battery even when the cabin and battery heater is going full blast drawing 10-12kw.

I remember when someone first suggested this to Elon at a live event “can we use shore power to power when it’s plugged in and not use the battery pack” that he said this was not technically possible because of the way it’s wired up, it has to use the battery pack but that he thought this was a really good idea to help extend the life of a battery pack by not using it if they don’t need to while they are plugged in. He said for now they could technically do something to let it flow through by pulling from the battery while charging at the same time and that they’ll look into improving this. Perhaps later models they incorporated using shore power without flowing through the battery pack into the wiring design but definitely not the early models like mine.

Wondering if the deer hit did any damage to front cooling rads that is part of the problem? When I had a freon leak the car complained at the supercharger that it would not charge fast. Also read on the forum that if your louvers are stuck shut, same thing, slow charge.

There are temp sensors right behind each condenser rad. If the car does not detect slightly warmer temps there, figures you have a failure of some sort.

In your case with body damage things could have gotten unplugged.

Is your AC working ok? Even in winter it comes on to held defog front windshield.

Two collisions with a Deer!!! Wow!!! I have never even seen a Deer while driving, much less come close to my car.

There needs to be a Federal Law that allows drivers to "Harvest" any Deer or other animal that dares to run into your car, without having to purchase a hunting license or Deer Tag, or even be in season. What a waste of GOOD EATING.

Well, looks like it’s charging now. They left it dead all weekend and plugged it in about 45 minutes ago. It’s only gained 10 miles but at least it’s charging. Big difference now though is that it’s 50 degrees outside, not sub-zero. Can’t wait to get their call because I’m going to flip out if they say “hey we plugged it in and everything works fine”.

2C984179-8ECC-43DF-992A-A158A2D915DE.png

Well, looks like it’s charging now. They left it dead all weekend and plugged it in about 45 minutes ago. It’s only gained 10 miles but at least it’s charging. Big difference now though is that it’s 50 degrees outside, not sub-zero. Can’t wait to get their call because I’m going to flip out if they say “hey we plugged it in and everything works fine”.

Well the battery is still blue, and has limited charging. (30 of 40A.)

I do look forward to finding out what the issue was.

View attachment 374441

Not sure which is worse, the phone or the car... Not even noon yet!

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
Two collisions with a Deer!!! Wow!!! I have never even seen a Deer while driving, much less come close to my car.

There needs to be a Federal Law that allows drivers to "Harvest" any Deer or other animal that dares to run into your car, without having to purchase a hunting license or Deer Tag, or even be in season. What a waste of GOOD EATING.

Where do you live? I can’t go anywhere without seeing one and pretty much at least once per commute I have to slam my brakes on to not hit one.

It's probably not a good idea to let individuals keep the deer they hit since that could lead to people intentionally hitting deer.
However, I believe Alaska and some other states allow charities to pick up these deer and elk. The highway patrol has a list of eligible charities and they call as soon as they find a dead animal.

Reactions: MP3Mike
It's probably not a good idea to let individuals keep the deer they hit since that could lead to people intentionally hitting deer.
You say that like it's a bad thing... ;) Around here, they're like big rats. I've counted 8 in my yard at once. I have to be careful coming home at night; they run out in front of the car at least 2x/week.

And don't get me started on the deer tick minefield that is my yard... :mad:

• Funny
Reactions: erik_k and Graffi
If you are driving the car and the battery doesn't heat up that sounds like the Battery coolant pump went out. If the heater pack went out, driving around would heat up some of the battery modules then the coolant would move around enough to warm all the modules passively. All though if it's really cold not sure if it would enough. If the pump goes out once the pack is cold it will not charge no matter how long you leave it plugged in. Somewhere on the forums someone wrote about their car fell below 5% SOC and no matter what he did the car would not charge or heat the pack up because the battery heater turns off when SOC is below 5%. It's my understanding that the battery heater only pulls it's power from the battery and not the outlet, then the charging system charges the battery pack. This keeps the charger from popping the outlet the UMC is plugged into if it's on 110. Normally not an issue unless the HV pack is below 5% and cold soaked then you're in for a world of hurt if it gets crazy cold.

ding ding ding you're the winner. broken battery coolant pump , so theres no pumping any fluid through the heater into the battery pack. the heater itself is fine, just the pump is blown. repair cost is about $275 installed.