Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let Tesla know what features or tech the Roadster should have to make it even more awesome?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Few” things I believe necessary, and hoping for, in priority order ;)
1) Lidar and radar stealth composite covering, bonus points for overview of where you’re being painted from.
2) four wheel steering with independent motors
3) MagneRide-based suspension: MagneRide - Wikipedia
4) HUD, with ability to turn off all over displays.
5) Tiny status indicators in immediate line of sight of driver, creating ability to turn off HUD. Minimal example - speed could be simple line indicating %age of speed limit
6) Vented ceramic brake discs
7) Active, independent front/rear, aero control with tunable downforce
8) finally, of course, Hypercar doors:
375C7197-EF50-4CA7-845E-D052A84828CA.gif

8) finally, of course, Hypercar doors:
View attachment 273277
Really depends on what the car is.

If it's to be usable as a daily driver, then from first hand experience of using an i8, they are a pain in the ass.

Seems to be a mix on here. Some wanting an all out poster car that hangs on a teenagers bedroom wall. Others would like something more usable.

I'm in the latter camp.

Normal doors, lighter pack, more focus on it being a driver's car that could also be pressed into service as daily transport.

Really depends on what the car is.

If it's to be usable as a daily driver, then from first hand experience of using an i8, they are a pain in the ass.

Seems to be a mix on here. Some wanting an all out poster car that hangs on a teenagers bedroom wall. Others would like something more usable.

I'm in the latter camp.

Normal doors, lighter pack, more focus on it being a driver's car that could also be pressed into service as daily transport.

It was number 8 on the list ;)

I also wouldn’t want a Tesla to spend 3 years+ trying to figure out doors, *cough* fwd *cough*, though a car this low is going to be a pita to get into anyway for some of us old farts. At least this way it looks more like an hyper car :)

Reactions: smac
In 3 1/2 years of Roadster ownership, what you describe has never happened to me.
Really? Mine close as if I'm parked on a slope. There's no "detent" to hold them partly open, so you have the whole weight of the door pushing itself closed. The only benefit is that you don't have to actually push on the door to get it closed, which I suppose can be handy if you have something in your hands. Just get out of the way before it knocks you back in. I continually have to remind my kids not to slam the door.

How is yours different?

@gregd I've never really thought about it, but I'm pretty sure that my Lotus doors are the same.

From memory they don't have the "detent bar", the small flat notched bit that follows the door out as it opens. (Gladly like to be educated by anyone in the industry the correct name for this piece!!!)

Last edited:
Really? Mine close as if I'm parked on a slope. There's no "detent" to hold them partly open, so you have the whole weight of the door pushing itself closed. The only benefit is that you don't have to actually push on the door to get it closed, which I suppose can be handy if you have something in your hands. Just get out of the way before it knocks you back in. I continually have to remind my kids not to slam the door.

How is yours different?
My 1.5 Roadster doors work like...car doors. I open them and they stay open unless I close them.

To get back to the topic of this thread; maybe the new Roadster won’t have any visible door “handles”. Make a section of the door capacitive touch sensitive and if you have the fob with you or your smartphone Tesla app running in the background and you just touch the door and it opens.

I’m just wildly speculating while waiting for the Falcon Heavy to launch...

Reactions: cizUK
I would like to see some thoughtful integration of a Lidar jammer, radar detector and cameras, or at least the wiring infrastructure.

I can agree about the cameras - the ones used for autopilot should also record so can be used as evidence in an accident. Disagree about jammers / detectors though. If you want to add them to your vehicle that is your choice but it does not send the right impression if the manufacturer fits them (and is illegal in some countries). Its a great aim to make the worlds fastest and safest car but do not undermine it by actively encouraging speeding on public roads.

I just came back from the level 2 corvette track racing school at Spring mountain, which reconfirmed the need for HUD.
At speed, or on a technical track, you must have relevant information front and center. It's dangerous to look down, and especially down and off center like the model 3. Since the roadster seems to no visible dash in front of you, HUD becomes mandatory.

I'm a fan of the steering wheel, as this gives the car a plane or spaceship feel and adds to the many other nonconventional features of the car.
This car is a roadster, and by definition a car built for fun, not a dedicated track car.
It does not have the suspension to be a track car.
With two 100 Kw batteries stacked on top of each other, it will not have the necessary cooling ability needed for track racing.

However, a flat bottomed steering wheel should be offered as an option for those, who simply just can't adjust

A amphibious mode will be awesome, we have a lot of rivers here, so when i can cross them on other ways or use them to skip the traffic jam that would be awesome.
And with a 200khw accu it is also usefull. I think you can travel at least 100km on water with that.
If it is 200km you can really reach any continent execpt antartica with a powerfull sportscar :).
Bring a solarroof with you becaus elektricity will not be that available in a lot of remote area's

track credibility is very important. if i were elon, i'd hire randy probst, chris harris and Walter Röhrl to help tune the suspension. sub 7 minute ring times are crucial too. tires, battery cooling and even braking are also huge concerns for me. i'd also need some sort of automatic fire extinguisher system and roll cage.

Reactions: Colasec
Good ring time and bragging rights come with it are fine but the thing way more important to me is I can also drive the car comfortably for 600 miles on the road until the battery runs out. It will be a first for Tesla but this car definitely needs a selectable suspension hardness for, say, comfort, sports and track.