Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the hacking begin... (Model S parts on the bench)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 20 minute trace that shows the VIN coming out every 5 minutes with only a 7 msec variation.

Also SOC frame 0x302 always has 8 bytes of data whereas wk057's excellent document lists it as having 3 bytes. Typo perhaps?

Not a typo. At least in older firmwares for US cars this frame has three bytes. It is possible that they changed it in later firmwares or for a different market or something.

Replying to myself, I just put in a mouser order for 1,000 pins.

For a while now, we've been making DIAG connectors for OVMS on the Tesla Roadster. I notice that some guys here are using those in Model S now (even though only 1 CAN bus is wired).

I'm considering getting some fully wired connectors made for my own use. The same as the existing OVMS cable (https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000001/1000400-ovms-data-cable-for-tesla-roadster-1-x-2-x), with the same DIAG plug, but with all 12 pins cabled. Perhaps 1m (3feet) of open ended cable on the end. Something easy to solder on to a DB9 (or whatever is required).

View attachment 111574

Would that be something useful to the community here? If so, I can easily get them to make up a batch. Is 1m cable enough? Cut and pre-tinned for soldering useful? Any other suggestions?

I finally received my Particle Electron (cellular enabled dev board running on the ST32 micro) in the mail yesterday, looks like it could be promising as a totally wireless logger, I have to experiment with their CAN library (the ST has a built in controller so all that's needed is a transceiver to deal with signaling) unfortunately I'm heading off for vacation soon so I might not get a chance until I get back, news from the frontline to follow ASAP.

As they say, keep calm and carry on...

Bump. Can anyone answer this? Under what condition does the BMS set a passive cooling target of 52 C in an S85 (S85 = No max power mode)? Is this with range mode?

Good question. I haven't had time to map the temperature targets to various conditions. So far the only time I've seen a passive target that high is with max battery power on the P85D.

On phone.. can't get upload working. Sent you an email

Definitely interesting. It's close, but not quite the same connector. Very odd. I have never seen one with a different connector, and I've seen an EU on before as well. I also didn't see any different tool for this connection in Tesla's online service manual last I was on there, either. So, I'm confused for sure.

Definitely interesting. It's close, but not quite the same connector. Very odd. I have never seen one with a different connector, and I've seen an EU on before as well. I also didn't see any different tool for this connection in Tesla's online service manual last I was on there, either. So, I'm confused for sure.

Had a 3rd attempt, this time a November delivered 90D, again same thing :(

So despite my best efforts to get some logs from a fairly exhaustive set (70S 90S and 90D) all have failed. Might be a RHD difference ?.

Along with the different blue connector, there was also a small white connector:

Connector.jpg

All cars I've seen made since about September 2015 have a new connector.

Interesting.

Certainly born out by my findings if this isn't a RHD market thing.

Quite what the motivation is to change the plug escapes me, surely it will make it harder for the Tesla techs ?? Maybe they needed another bus for the X and there are more pins? (But I'm clutching at straws here!)

Quite what the motivation is to change the plug escapes me, surely it will make it harder for the Tesla techs ??

Is it possible Tesla could make some sort of connector for the techs that actually fits both types of connector (has backwards compatibility) in which case the change in the connector wouldn't really be an issue at all for the techs once they had whatever new part they needed?