Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let the Speculation Begin: changes for 2014 model year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if Tesla follows the same model year schedule as regular manufacturers, but just curious when the 2014 models will come out and what sort of changes we might expect. In other words, is it worth waiting for next year's model. Sure would like parking sensors and blind spot warning (two technologies I find strangely missing in such an otherwise advanced automobile).

I realize this requires pure conjecture, but thought I'd throw this out there....

Tesla doesn't do model years. For the Roadster they did "1.5", "2.0", "2.5". Also there wasn't a hard dividing line between these versions, as they implemented many of the upgrades incrementally. They only changed the version number when there was an apparent cosmetic change (internal and/or external).

Tesla doesn't do model years. For the Roadster they did "1.5", "2.0", "2.5". Also there wasn't a hard dividing line between these versions, as they implemented many of the upgrades incrementally. They only changed the version number when there was an apparent cosmetic change (internal and/or external).

The certificate of origin for my car lists the model year -- so 2013 for current production. They may just use calendar year for the distinction though...

Elon has previously said that parking sensors and I think ACC would be available "in a couple of months". I believe pretty much all the European options will be available in the US this fall.

I was told by factory rep at one of the MS Tech Talks this spring that AWD would likely be available on the MS in the next 6-12 months....specifically told it will be before the X arrives....Sweet if true!

I was told by factory rep at one of the MS Tech Talks this spring that AWD would likely be available on the MS in the next 6-12 months....specifically told it will be before the X arrives....Sweet if true!

Oh, please let this be true! And please let there be an upgrade path for my Sig S. I'd drop my X reservation in a heartbeat.

Oh, please let this be true! And please let there be an upgrade path for my Sig S. I'd drop my X reservation in a heartbeat.

I'll bet their is an upgrade path, but it'll more than likely involve you trading in your car for the new AWD Model S, that's probably more than they are liking to offer an upgrade for (most manufacturers wouldn't do upgrades involving the drive train, I'm betting Tesla is similar).

Trading a Sig for a non-Sig is not an upgrade path.

Sure it is, it's all wheel drive compared to rear wheel drive. Whose to say they don't have a performance plus AWD?
Besides, modding a Sig, it's not really a Sig any longer, is it? Elon has pretty much laid out the "major upgrade" paths, bring your car in for service, you want to keep the loaner Performance Plus? No problem, they'll bill you the difference. I expect that's how they'll handle major upgrades.
I can't see them taking cars back to the factory and reworking their drive trains, and it's probably beyond the capabilities of the service centers.

Sure it is, it's all wheel drive compared to rear wheel drive.
By that argument, replacing an 85 kWh vehicle with 5 miles on it with a 85 kWh vehicle with 100,000 miles on it but a spoiler is an upgrade path. I respectfully disagree in both cases.
Besides, modding a Sig, it's not really a Sig any longer, is it?
I somewhat agree with you though I wouldn't consider "different tires", for example, to be "modding" for the purposes of such an evaluation. So then you get into where you draw the line, etc. A debatable point, but OT. :)

Hopefully an entire refresh of the interior. Perhaps bringing the S and X to be the same:

New steering wheel controls (ala X concept)
Moveable headrests (ala X concept)
Rear foldable console
Bucket seats in performance models
Lighted vanity mirrors
Different cup holder design/location
Additional space under center arm rest
Better ventilation (addressing fogging up front and flow in the rear)
Better quality/finish on stiches (places where the stich line is not straight/inline)

Plus a new tech package that makes certain things standard (eg lighting) and adds new ones: parking sensors, adaptive cruise.

And one external item: roof rack support for all not just pano.

Last edited: