TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Let the Speculation Begin: changes for 2014 model year

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Argelius, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

I don't know if Tesla follows the same model year schedule as regular manufacturers, but just curious when the 2014 models will come out and what sort of changes we might expect. In other words, is it worth waiting for next year's model. Sure would like parking sensors and blind spot warning (two technologies I find strangely missing in such an otherwise advanced automobile).

I realize this requires pure conjecture, but thought I'd throw this out there....

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Tesla doesn't do model years. For the Roadster they did "1.5", "2.0", "2.5". Also there wasn't a hard dividing line between these versions, as they implemented many of the upgrades incrementally. They only changed the version number when there was an apparent cosmetic change (internal and/or external).

3. Argelius

Argelius Member

Ah, thanks. I think I knew that in the back of my mind....

4. RDoc

RDoc S85D

They've already announced a running change to simplify the structure construction and as speculation, perhaps it will also fix the windshield cracking issue. I'm assuming that's caused by the body flexing.

5. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

The certificate of origin for my car lists the model year -- so 2013 for current production. They may just use calendar year for the distinction though...

6. Sus

Sus Member

Here are some guesses:
    1. LTE support
    2. Trunk A/C vents

7. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

I'll take Wifi support...

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

I seem to recall adaptive cruise control as well.

9. johnmodels

johnmodels Member

Proximity sensors
    Side view cameras
    lane departure warning, with kill switch.
    better sun visors
    addition of 2 new colors

10. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

The service plan description mentions that paying for annual service includes "hardware upgrades," so hopefully 2013 cars can get upgraded if they are easy changes. Don't know if that includes A/C vents in the trunk.

11. Jack_L

Jack_L Member

Elon has previously said that parking sensors and I think ACC would be available "in a couple of months". I believe pretty much all the European options will be available in the US this fall.

I was told by factory rep at one of the MS Tech Talks this spring that AWD would likely be available on the MS in the next 6-12 months....specifically told it will be before the X arrives....Sweet if true!

12. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

Oh, please let this be true! And please let there be an upgrade path for my Sig S. I'd drop my X reservation in a heartbeat.

13. discypl

discypl New Member

Where'd you see this? No adaptive cruise is keeping me from plunking down an order. BMW's implementation is just too good to ignore for my highway commute.

14. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

I'll bet their is an upgrade path, but it'll more than likely involve you trading in your car for the new AWD Model S, that's probably more than they are liking to offer an upgrade for (most manufacturers wouldn't do upgrades involving the drive train, I'm betting Tesla is similar).

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Trading a Sig for a non-Sig is not an upgrade path.

16. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Sure it is, it's all wheel drive compared to rear wheel drive. Whose to say they don't have a performance plus AWD?
    Besides, modding a Sig, it's not really a Sig any longer, is it? Elon has pretty much laid out the "major upgrade" paths, bring your car in for service, you want to keep the loaner Performance Plus? No problem, they'll bill you the difference. I expect that's how they'll handle major upgrades.
    I can't see them taking cars back to the factory and reworking their drive trains, and it's probably beyond the capabilities of the service centers.

17. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

By that argument, replacing an 85 kWh vehicle with 5 miles on it with a 85 kWh vehicle with 100,000 miles on it but a spoiler is an upgrade path. I respectfully disagree in both cases.
    I somewhat agree with you though I wouldn't consider "different tires", for example, to be "modding" for the purposes of such an evaluation. So then you get into where you draw the line, etc. A debatable point, but OT. :)

18. heems

heems Member

#19 heems, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    Hopefully an entire refresh of the interior. Perhaps bringing the S and X to be the same:

New steering wheel controls (ala X concept)
    Moveable headrests (ala X concept)
    Rear foldable console
    Bucket seats in performance models
    Lighted vanity mirrors
    Different cup holder design/location
    Additional space under center arm rest
    Better ventilation (addressing fogging up front and flow in the rear)
    Better quality/finish on stiches (places where the stich line is not straight/inline)

Plus a new tech package that makes certain things standard (eg lighting) and adds new ones: parking sensors, adaptive cruise.

And one external item: roof rack support for all not just pano.

19. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

And design out the "balloon whine"/inverter resonance problem.