Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's discuss Dual Motor range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the wait and see approach, but there’s flaw in your logic if you’re thinking that Tesla is lying about the 5 mile decrease in range between Model 3 SR RWD and AWD versions. I don’t see any posts on the forums where people are thinking (or asking for EPA data) that Tesla is lying about the decrease in range with the P100D relative to the 100D.

Perhaps the 100 is on the wrong side of the power to weight ratio when it comes to efficiency.

The other Dual Motor S's increased their range over their RWD counterparts.

When are we likely to see EPA test protocol results on the AWD and P-AWD variants?
Well past the time we'll see lots of semi-rigorous and likely fairly accurate data here. ;)

My understanding is that Tesla's requirement to report it hinges on how many of the given variant are sold, and it would require a lot of people here having one. Tesla owners being Tesla owners we'll start getting reports within days if not hours of delivery and I expect someone with access to both AWD and RWD will run at least a modest controlled test within a week or two.

Well past the time we'll see lots of semi-rigorous and likely fairly accurate data here. ;)

My understanding is that Tesla's requirement to report it hinges on how many of the given variant are sold, and it would require a lot of people here having one. Tesla owners being Tesla owners we'll start getting reports within days if not hours of delivery and I expect someone with access to both AWD and RWD will run at least a modest controlled test within a week or two.

Actually, we saw the RWD 3 documents leak in late October. Just before non-employees saw their cars. So again, we may be in for a news dump any day now on all things Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Perhaps the 100 is on the wrong side of the power to weight ratio when it comes to efficiency.

The other Dual Motor S's increased their range over their RWD counterparts.

Yes, and I agree there's a possibility that maybe the LR versions of the Model 3 tip the scale in that direction, but there's still no logical reason to explain why Tesla would indicate 5 miles range LOWER with SR AWD unless it were 1) true, or 2) not true but Tesla want's to discourage sales of SR AWD. Possibility 2 doesn't make any sense since Tesla at the same time indicates improved acceleration of the SR AWD (5.1 seconds compared to 5.6 seconds for SR RWD), not to mention shorter delivery times.

I hope you’re right and will cheer too if that’s the case. We’ll just have to wait for the official EPA numbers and updated Model 3 owners manual (gearing ratio info) which shouldn’t be too much longer if production begins next month.
If recent evidence is indicative we will need to see the actual EPA document, not the Tesla preferred EPA range. The Model 3 LR, remember, had an actual EPA result of 334 miles, reduced to 310 at Tesla’s request.

Yes, and I agree there's a possibility that maybe the LR versions of the Model 3 tip the scale in that direction, but there's still no logical reason to explain why Tesla would advertise 5 miles range LOWER with SR AWD unless it were 1) true, 2) not true but Tesla want's to discourage sales of SR AWD. Possibility 2 doesn't make any sense since Tesla at the same time indicates improved acceleration of the SR AWD (5.1 seconds compared to 5.6 seconds for SR RWD), not to mention shorter delivery times.

Here'a an anecdotal story about Tesla and how things are going right now:

I know we get a lightning cable and a Micro USB with the Model 3.

My wife and I both have USB-C phones.

I ordered 2 USB-C cables.

I got an invoice and shipping notification for one cable.

I emailed them to point it out, and I got a corrected email with 2 cables in the box.............

They're human, and they're running around like chickens with their heads cut off right now. So it's possible it was unintentional.

also, they know we poke around in source code, and could be trolling us....if the numbers are mind-blowingly better or worse than RWD, that would be a news story.

source code is not considered a public announcement of anything, so if it's "wrong" in any way, they're covered legally.

let's all wait and see.......

Reactions: ℬête Noire
If recent evidence is indicative we will need to see the actual EPA document, not the Tesla preferred EPA range. The Model 3 LR, remember, had an actual EPA result of 334 miles, reduced to 310 at Tesla’s request.

Correct. But I'm just saying/asking why would Tesla offer a preferred EPA range of 215 miles on SR AWD versus 220 miles on SR RWD? Goes against everything they've done in the past with regard to dual motor. The only logical explanation is that it's true, at least from a relatively point of view (i.e. the SR AWD has roughly 5 miles less range than the SR RWD).

Here'a an anecdotal story about Tesla and how things are going right now:
also, they know we poke around in source code, and could be trolling us....if the numbers are mind-blowingly better or worse than RWD, that would be a news story.

source code is not considered a public announcement of anything, so if it's "wrong" in any way, they're covered legally.

let's all wait and see.......

Agreed. That's a possibility. Though we haven't really seen any other errors on the configurator lately. And 215 miles is oddly specific. A typo would be 229 or 22- miles from a keyboard pecking perspective.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
The one thing I think people are forgetting is that with the Model 3, you are buying a LR version. Not a 80 or 75kw version. In theory, Tesla could increase the efficiency of the motor/software in the next couple of years and release the same EPA rated 310 LR version of the car with less batteries. Less batteries = bigger margin.

I thought that test was not realistic/ real world.
Folks that already have their cars seem to be getting the advertised 310 real world.

I'm more interested in actual 0-60 for the AWD. I expect it will be closer to 4.0s

It's also entirely possible that Tesla made the in-car software report 310. The only way to know for SURE is to have someone brick it and take it all the way down to absolute zero.

One thing we're not mentioning is that the front motor on Model 3 AWD is not PM. Why? Because they need torque sleep to optimize efficiency when extra power is not needed, just as they do with Model S and X. regardless of what source code may say, we can be assured that is why both motors are not PM, since torque sleep is not so easy with PM.

We really do not know what modifications in motor management take place between P and non-P. Once we do find out I'll win my wager that there are modifications to inverter and/or changes in maximum battery discharge rate, probably similar to those between the Ludicrous and Insane P85D.

Between Performance and Optional Performance the reduction in range is a certainty if only because of 20" wheels vs 18".

Anyway, I really just want my car NOW!!!!

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
The one thing I think people are forgetting is that with the Model 3, you are buying a LR version. Not a 80 or 75kw version. In theory, Tesla could increase the efficiency of the motor/software in the next couple of years and release the same EPA rated 310 LR version of the car with less batteries. Less batteries = bigger margin.

True. It’s also possible that Tesla added or can add more batteries to achieve whatever EPA range they want. E.g. even if dual motor decreases range, a few dozen more cells could offset it.

Yes. because Tesla was already advertising the 310, but within the charts and diagrams, we were able to see the 334.
So the biggest question then is when will the EPA testing get done. I don't know the rules for variants of an already EPA tested and shipping vehicles well enough to assess that. However if the initial order last year was Tesla announces EPA number then EPA leak occurs, if Tesla doesn't need to report an EPA number for a while it sorta follows that it'll be some time until the EPA docs leak.

The biggest question then is when will the EPA testing get done. I don't know the rules for variants of an already EPA tested and shipping vehicles well enough for that.

It has to be on your Monroney Sticker at the time you take delivery.

Tesla was able to tip toe around that with First Production for a few months by going employees-only. But as soon as the vehicle is available and deliverable to the general public, it's required.

They could very well be testing it as we speak.

It has to be on your Monroney Sticker at the time you take delivery.

Tesla was able to tip toe around that with First Production for a few months by going employees-only. But as soon as the vehicle is available and deliverable to the general public, it's required.

They could very well be testing it as we speak.

Note Tesla does the testing not the EPA. EPA only tests a very small subsample of all cars they get data on and they haven't ever tested a Tesla.

EPA numbers are self reported and only a small number of car models each year are chosen for random testing. In 2017 that percentage was near 9.58% (0.0958 if I got the math right).

It'd cost them something but not much. For example in 2017 the EPA tested 0 Tesla cars. Same for 2018 as well.

See Data on Cars used for Testing Fuel Economy | US EPA for the raw data.

Reported cars for 2017 were:
Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Tesla Model 3 Long Range
Tesla Model S 100D
Tesla Model S 100D
Tesla Model S 60D
Tesla Model S 60D
Tesla Model S 60R
Tesla Model S 60R
Tesla Model S 75D
Tesla Model S 75D
Tesla Model S 75R