Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's Lobby Tesla for 8-Year Warranty on all X Doors and Seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read so many reports of various issues with X doors and seals both here and on the Tesla Model X Owners Club on Facebook. Tesla fixes them under the 4-year warranty, which is great. But what happens after 4 years? I think we should lobby Tesla to provide an 8-year unlimited miles warranty on all Model X doors and seals, including the Falcons. Of course, accident-caused damage would be excluded, as that's covered by insurance. (Note that Tesla extended the battery and drive train warranty to 8 years after earlier Model S had issues.)

Comments?

If you support this idea, please re-tweet and/or reply to a tweet I just sent to Tesla and Elon:

@TeslaMotors @elonmusk @TeslaModelX 8-year warranty on door mechanisms & seals, including Falcons, would give new X customers peace of mind

Even as an investor, I think it's a good move for Tesla. It will cost them some additional warranty reserves. However, I think that will be more than compensated by additional Model X sales due to the confidence it will give prospective new customers that are leery about Falcon Wing Door reliability after reading this forum and media reports.

Reactions: highedu
I've read so many reports of various issues with X doors and seals both here and on the Tesla Model X Owners Club on Facebook. Tesla fixes them under the 4-year warranty, which is great. But what happens after 4 years? I think we should lobby Tesla to provide an 8-year unlimited miles warranty on all Model X doors and seals, including the Falcons. Of course, accident-caused damage would be excluded, as that's covered by insurance. (Note that Tesla extended the battery and drive train warranty to 8 years after earlier Model S had issues.)

Comments?

If you support this idea, please re-tweet and/or reply to a tweet I just sent to Tesla and Elon:

@TeslaMotors @elonmusk @TeslaModelX 8-year warranty on door mechanisms & seals, including Falcons, would give new X customers peace of mind

Even as an investor, I think it's a good move for Tesla. It will cost them some additional warranty reserves. However, I think that will be more than compensated by additional Model X sales due to the confidence it will give prospective new customers that are leery about Falcon Wing Door reliability after reading this forum and media reports.

That would be great ... but I recommend just getting the 8 year warranty for the whole X. I have it for my S, and as soon as it's available, I will get it for the X. The doors are not the only thing that will be extremely expensive when it breaks. I've had repairs done in the S that would have been thousands of dollars without a warranty.

Done but is it possible?

It's up to Tesla. At this point, it is just a suggestion from a group of customers, including 24 fellow owners who liked my post on the Facebook Tesla Model X Owners Club group, 12 retweets and 11 likes on twitter so far.

People have also asked when the +4 year (total 8 years) extended warranty plan from Tesla (the Model S has this available for $4K) will be announced and available for purchase.

Tesla also has staff that monitor TMC that will probably see this thread.

lol kort677. They did refuse to sell a Model X to some media-type that was publicly disrespectful towards Elon Musk. I believe he published a private letter?

Tesla implemented my previous suggestion. About 3 weeks before this feature appeared in the latest firmware release, I used the "report" voice input command to suggest that we have a scrolling list of "favorite destinations", instead of the fixed 11 + home + work that we had previously. I was very pleased to see the firmware team added it so I (and I assume many others) can use it. It was something provided by Mercedes ICE's that Tesla didn't offer before.

I predict when Model 3 comes out, X and S will see the fruits of a major redesign of the touchpanel software, including 3rd party apps. The Model 3 volumes will justify 3rd party development. Also, there was an App icon on the Model S that I saw at the factory during the Model S reveal and test ride event in the Fall of 2011.