Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's Speculate - What will happen if FSD isn't possible on cars sold with that option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right. But so how do you interpret when they say 'transition from one freeway to another'. That was listed as an EAP feature in late 2016 with AP2.0 hw (see screenshot)
You should read the part that says "exit the freeway when your destination is near". I agree with @MP3Mike. In my area I have the 110 freeway and the 405 freeway and the 105 freeway. If I am going from 1 freeway to another then I am still on the "freeway" and not "surface streets" and have not "exited the freeway". If you actually "exit the freeway" you are on surface streets. And that will be the time you need FSD instead of just EAP.

That would be the "on-ramp to off-ramp" functionality. Or what they are now appear to be calling "Navigate on Autopilot" which they now describe as:

The "with driver supervision" is the gotcha there. You won't get hands-off without FSD on any hardware.
I really think the big difference between FSD and EAP is when you are on surface streets vs freeways. I believe on freeways it will be the same. I think the "with driver supervision" part is because it is still in BETA and will be that way for some time. Even when they start rolling our FSD Features (for surface streets) you will still need "with driver supervision". I simply can not believe they will say that even though on the freeway it works exactly the same but if you did not buy FSD you need to keep your hands on the wheel and that is the only difference. And I do not believe on-ramp to off-ramp will simply work better with FSD. The only way it might work better is with better hardware like 3.0 which I believe all new cars (and those that purchased FSD) will get once it is available like 2.5 now. And I do have FSD.

Reactions: znino
You should be able to sleep, or read a book, on FSD, you can't on EAP. In addition FSD will be able to handle surface streets.
Of course I have no inside information. But we were also told that EAP would only use 4 cameras but to do it safely they need to use ALL 8. And I think "safety" is what matters most. And, maybe you are right and that the only difference on freeways is that you have to keep a hand on the steering wheel even though it is just as safe as if you had purchased FSD which is hands free. But, until I see what else is different then I still believe on the freeways (based on on ramp to off ramp) there will be no difference between EAP and FSD. I think there is a huge difference between EAP and FSD while off the freeway that there is plenty of reasons for the FSD Price Tag. There is no reason to force customers to keep a hand on the wheel if they only purchased EAP in stead of FSD on the freeway. And I do not expect them to dumb down (which would be unsafe) the EAP cars on the freeway.

You should read the part that says "exit the freeway when your destination is near". I agree with @MP3Mike. In my area I have the 110 freeway and the 405 freeway and the 105 freeway. If I am going from 1 freeway to another then I am still on the "freeway" and not "surface streets" and have not "exited the freeway". If you actually "exit the freeway" you are on surface streets. And that will be the time you need FSD instead of just EAP.

This is how it works today, if your transition from one highway to another the car handles it for you, when you get to you exit, it takes the exit then gives you a 600’ countdown telling you it will disengage.

Just read that HW3 will be installed on cars that have fully paid FSD. I can't tell you how gratifying that feels after being teased on the forum by members that were absolutely positive that I would never get upgraded hardware without paying an additional cost.:cool:

• Love
Reactions: JeffK
Until it's a solved problem, I don't care what the hardware is, the fact is they don't even have a solution yet, so who the heck knows if this new silicon is enough. I'll remind you of 2+ years ago when Elon said the original hw was enough for FSD, so who knows if this new new hardware will be enough. Until they "actually" solve the problem, it's very hard to know if you have enough hardware for the solution.

Still says so on tesla.com/autopilot
I mean technically they were working on this chip long before that FSD announcement so I think what they meant was the cameras and radar combo. They were always going to replace the chip.

As further evidence, we can cite only using half an Nvidia PX2 and the design that allowed them to be easily swapped in the first place.