Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's talk financing rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone with State farm ever tried to use them for a loan? Their loans include gap insurance. After being rear ended, and my car being a total loss, I've been talking to them about things, and they won't give me any info yet, because I don't have a VIN.

Point Loma Credit Union is still offering 66 months at 2% with ACH/DD into a checking account and autopay from that checking account.

Do not go with plcu. When I was shopping for my loan the loan officer was so rude and disrespectful. Just because I'm a young guy, he seemed like he was trying to take advantage of me thinking I was naive. He would answer questions with different terms thinking I didn't know what he was talking about. I felt like this place was very scummy compared to other banks in terms of service. Their rates are low for a reason (people are probably avoiding them like me).

I went with fpcu instead and they have been more than helpful and amazing! There rates are just as good or better for the 60 month terms.

Last edited:
Do not go with plcu. When I was shopping for my loan the loan officer was so rude and disrespectful. Just because I'm a young guy, he seemed like he was trying to take advantage of me thinking I was naive. He would answer questions with different terms thinking I didn't know what he was talking about. I felt like this place was very scummy compared to other banks in terms of service. Their rates are low for a reason (people are probably avoiding them like me).

I went with fpcu instead and they have been more than helpful and amazing! There rates are just as good or better for the 60 month terms.
Haha, I thought the exact opposite. FPCU wouldn't give me a rate lock and by the time I had my delivery scheduled raised their rates .25%. PLCU on the other hand stuck with the 2% across two+ weeks and me working with two different people. I have a feeling we both had bad luck at the opposite credit union.

Haha, I thought the exact opposite. FPCU wouldn't give me a rate lock and by the time I had my delivery scheduled raised their rates .25%. PLCU on the other hand stuck with the 2% across two+ weeks and me working with two different people. I have a feeling we both had bad luck at the opposite credit union.

Haha yah maybe, the loan officer just warping my question into other things to create a answer just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Like when i asked "Can you make you make early payoffs without any penalites", he would reply "Yes you can make prepays without any penalties." Although hes not outright lying, he obviously knew what i was asking but made sure he was getting as much interest as possible from me...

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Haha yah maybe, the loan officer just warping my question into other things to create a answer just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Like when i asked "Can you make you make early payoffs without any penalites", he would reply "Yes you can make prepays without any penalties." Although hes not outright lying, he obviously knew what i was asking but made sure he was getting as much interest as possible from me...
They wouldn't even offer you a simple loan? Oh jeez...

I have a feeling all the Tesla owners these banks/CUs are getting are spoiling their loan officers.

Does FPCU have a prepayment penalty?

I'm thinking of getting the 5 year option for starters to keep the payments on the low end, but will definitely pay it off much before that ... just need the flexibility.

Does FPCU have a prepayment penalty?

I'm thinking of getting the 5 year option for starters to keep the payments on the low end, but will definitely pay it off much before that ... just need the flexibility.

When I asked they were very straight forward to me. "you can make principal only payments with no penalty, just schedule it with your monthly payments"

Thats exactly what I wanted to, the flexibility to be able to pay it off earlier or make more principal payments to save on interest! So far FPCU, especially Manuel have been really helpful so far.

Reactions: Trevor B
I've been with FPCU since they were Rockwell Federal Credit Union back in the 80's (1980's that is ;)) and have found them to be honest and forthright. They told me that the rates were not locked but mine stayed the same until my purchase was completed. I would recommend them highly. No prepayment penalty to answer a question above. Call them and discuss if you have concerns or questions.

Reactions: Trevor B

I went with PLCU at 1.5% for 48 months. They were great. I asked about rate lock period because I didn't know when I would get a VIN. They assured me that they'd lock it for as long as I needed. They'd done quite a few Model 3 loans so they were familiar with the VIN uncertainty. The manager would call periodically to see if there was anything they could do during the VIN wait. Going through the loan paperwork was extremely quick and easy.

For those in ohio...Medina federal credit union has some of the best rates for longer term loans. 2.74 for up to 78 months if you would want to go that long for some reason. Their 60 month rate is the same, so that could probably be beaten elsewhere.

Any membership issues for folks outside Medina? Central Ohio doesn't have squat for good rates.