Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to live with the pros and cons of Tesla being Tesla. OTA updates, constant improvements, no traditional model years is good for most people....except the people that had a new Tesla delivered juuuuuust before Elon comes out with a host of new upgrades for future Teslas.

One thing good about traditional model years....if you buy a brand new 201X vehicle right out the gate, you know it'll likely be around a year before your vehicle becomes obsolete. With a brand new Tesla? Obsolescence could be less than 24 hours away!

Reactions: phaduman
Geesh...people get hit on the head with a rock and we walk up with a boulder to finish them off. Have a heart people.

I guess I could blow smoke up his rear end and tell him he will get his wish but we are all adults here I assume so I feel no need to sugarcoat it. He is writing a letter that has been written many times before and after pretty much any change. Not trying to be rude but at the same time I feel like he is just wasting his energy/time and frankly a few of his proposals are ridiculous IMO.

Have to live with the pros and cons of Tesla being Tesla. OTA updates, constant improvements, no traditional model years is good for most people....except the people that had a new Tesla delivered juuuuuust before Elon comes out with a host of new upgrades for future Teslas.

One thing good about traditional model years....if you buy a brand new 201X vehicle right out the gate, you know it'll likely be around a year before your vehicle becomes obsolete.
Absolutely. You are absolutely correct.

And I again...I sympathize with those who are upset.

I've said this for the last few months... Don't buy a Tesla ... Lease it. The technology is moving so fast that in a few years you're going to want to upgrade anyway. I bought my Model S July 2015 and I've already missed out on many desirable features besides Autopilot 2.0. Deal with it... It's part of living in the future now.

I wanted to, but Tesla stopped that...

Is it impossible to lease a Tesla in Georgia?

I guess I could blow smoke up his rear end and tell him he will get his wish but we are all adults here I assume so I feel no need to sugarcoat it. He is writing a letter that has been written many times before and after pretty much any change. Not trying to be rude but at the same time I feel like he is just wasting his energy/time and frankly a few of his proposals are ridiculous IMO.
I understand that the main reason I disagree with you is because of behavior that I have adopted and adhered to in my life.

If you don't have anything good to say - don't say anything.

What's a waste of time to me is discouraging people in that their efforts are a waste of time. People change their minds based on the last person that voiced their opinion....along with the weight of everyone else who voiced that same opinion in the past.

Hmm....the talk of autopilot 2.0 has been going on for how long now? Like it was going to be a big surprise or something....I am buying a 2013 CPO because the car is amazing. I'm a tech whore just as much as anybody else, but am not going to be mad because of this new revelation I would miss out on. Tesla is out there to change the world, and so far they have done just that. Talking about devaluation is ridiculous because you're talking about a car, not your investment portfolio. Cars depreciate, just a fact of life. And just when should Elon come out with autopilot 2.0 and not make anybody mad that just missed it? Fact is that he has to do it sometime, and will inevitably make someone mad they "missed" out. If you think your car is obsolete now, feel free and look at what the competition and realize that they are waay ahead of the game.

Reactions: pilotSteve

One thing good about traditional model years....if you buy a brand new 201X vehicle right out the gate, you know it'll likely be around a year before your vehicle becomes obsolete. With a brand new Tesla? Obsolescence could be less than 24 hours away!
What if we think v8 is a downgrade and not upgrade and have the love with constantly x ing out of update screen and have a small yellow alert and top right?

And be afraid to service it in case a tech installs v8?!

Wahh Wahh. We ( African americans) can't vote....lets just let it go.
Wahh Wahh We (women) can't vote...lets just let it go its been this way forever.
Wahh Wahh We (women) don't have equal pay.....Its a waste of time saying anything about it.
Wahh Wahh We will always be slaves because its been that way forever......lets not upset the apple cart.
Wahh Wahh

No way. ALWAYS speak up in a respectful way for what you want. Ignore those who tell you its a waste of time. That's what I've learned in life.

Wahh Wahh. We ( African americans) can't vote....lets just let it go.
Wahh Wahh We (women) can't vote...lets just let it go its been this way forever.
Wahh Wahh We (women) don't have equal pay.....Its a waste of time saying anything about it.
Wahh Wahh We will always be slaves because its been that way forever......lets not upset the apple cart.
Wahh Wahh

No way. ALWAYS speak up in a respectful way for what you want. Ignore those who tell you its a waste of time. That's what I've learned in life.
I honestly cannot believe this comparison is even being attempted.

I have a 1.0 car and while I understand the frustration and the financial impact due to increased depreciation, I am totally comfortable with my situation. Here is how I think about it:

- AP 2.0 is currently HW only.
- The software has to be fine-tuned, potentially for up to 2years.
- During that period, some AP 1.0 features will not be available or available intermittently.

Personally, I would rather drive a 1.0 car for 2 years, let others debug 2.0 and enjoy 2.0 when it's fully baked, both on the HW and software side.

I have a 1.0 car and while I understand the frustration and the financial impact due to increased depreciation, I am totally comfortable with my situation. Here is how I think about it:

- AP 2.0 is currently HW only.
- The software has to be fine-tuned, potentially for up to 2years.
- During that period, some AP 1.0 features will not be available or available intermittently.

Personally, I would rather drive a 1.0 car for 2 years, let others debug 2.0 and enjoy 2.0 when it's fully baked, both on the HW and software side.
Now that's an encouraging way to look at it.