Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Letter to Mr. Musk from a 1-day old outdated Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. But you still haven't presented a practical alternative to what Tesla presently does. For reasons previously discussed they can't give release dates for future major features. They can't go to "model year" upgrades (yet). And they can't stop innovating.

That's the deal. Would I, as an owner who's looking to upgrade in the next year or so, like to know what and when new models/features are coming out? ABSOLUTELY. Will I be frustrated if I just miss something? Yep. Do I accept that this is way it works and live with it? Yes.

So... I watch this blog, try to get a sense of what if likely coming in the near future, and I'll likely buy immediately after a major announcement. And if I screw up and miss something... then I do. Life.
I have definitely posted a practical alternative. That is certainly not true. Just because they aren't liked - does not mean they are impractical.

I suppose Tesla is doing all of this perfectly then. Lets go with that.

• Disagree
Reactions: brianman
I don't understand why people in this forum don't get it.

NO ONE is complaining that they didn't get what they paid for. That's not the argument. Stay on topic.

The topic is this:

I spent $150K for the best car Tesla said they had. NOW one day later they have drastically reduced the value of my car - while knowing that there was a better car in the works. Are we talking about sales people? NO. We are talking about execs. who knew.

Many $150K owners are saying - I would have paid $158K had I known that the option was there.

It has nothing to do with wether or not you got $150K worth of car.
At last, someone tells it properly . I totally agree.
But some people just doesn't have empathy.

Releasing P100D, and AP2 just one month later? What were they thinking? Just postpone the P100D release. Now they have many sad P100D owners. IS this what they want?
They've released P100D early in order to make q3 sales better. You know what Tesla, let me tell you a secret. If you can't deliver a car in Q3, it will be delivered on Q4. Why are you pushing sales in every end of the quarter?? In every end of quarter rush, quality lacks.

The topic is this:

I spent $150K for the best car Tesla said they had. NOW one day later they have drastically reduced the value of my car - while knowing that there was a better car in the works. Are we talking about sales people? NO. We are talking about execs. who knew.

Every adult with at least an average IQ knows that the instant they drive a new car off the 'lot', it's value drastically reduces.
Every adult with at least an average IQ knows that no matter the product you buy, there's a pretty good chance a better product is in the works somewhere.
Every adult with at least an average IQ knows that life isn't fair and sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

Fine, let's all be sympathetic about the OP's unlucky timing (group hug, back rub, better luck next time buddy), but let's not wallow in the pity for longer than it deserves or make a mountain out of a mole hill just because we can. It's a car, a THING. It's money; paper, metal, 1's and 0's. NOT. WORTH. THE. ANGST. or continued bemoaning.

Every adult with at least an average IQ knows that the instant they drive a new car off the 'lot', it's value drastically reduces.
Every adult with at least an average IQ knows that no matter the product you buy, there's a pretty good chance a better product is in the works somewhere.
Every adult with at least an average IQ knows that life isn't fair and sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug.

Fine, let's all be sympathetic about the OP's unlucky timing (group hug, back rub, better luck next time buddy), but let's not wallow in the pity for longer than it deserves or make a mountain out of a mole hill just because we can. It's a car, a THING. It's money; paper, metal, 1's and 0's. NOT. WORTH. THE. ANGST. or continued bemoaning.
Ok.. lets consider the fact that I am not an adult with an average IQ. I suppose insults and name calling is adult like.

Now we are all happy. I don't care.

I have definitely posted a practical alternative. That is certainly not true. Just because they aren't liked - does not mean they are impractical.

I suppose Tesla is doing all of this perfectly then. Lets go with that.

You'll have to point that out; I didn't see one. You suggested that they announce a month ahead. That would be a disaster for reasons previously explained.

As said (repeating myself) they're picking the lesser of two evils. I can assure you that they're not withholding the future offerings as some sort of malicious "gotcha!" scheme to screw the unwary buyers. They're doing it because they they really have no choice.

Reactions: Krugerrand
At last, someone tells it properly . I totally agree.
But some people just doesn't have empathy.

Releasing P100D, and AP2 just one month later? What were they thinking? Just postpone the P100D release. Now they have many sad P100D owners. IS this what they want?
They've released P100D early in order to make q3 sales better. You know what Tesla, let me tell you a secret. If you can't deliver a car in Q3, it will be delivered on Q4. Why are you pushing sales in every end of the quarter?? In every end of quarter rush, quality lacks.
I don't understand why folks here are so on the side of defending a company.

A company with dis-satisfied customers isn't a good company. I can't imagine what its going to look like when they do this to a mass market vehicle such as the M3 - with people who are counting pennies just to get one in their driveway. Good luck.

Reactions: xborg
You'll have to point that out; I didn't see one. You suggested that they announce a month ahead. That would be a disaster for reasons previously explained.

As said (repeating myself) they're picking the lesser of two evils. I can assure you that they're not withholding the future offerings as some sort of malicious "gotcha!" scheme to screw the unwary buyers. They're doing it because they they really have no choice.
You don't have to repeat yourself.

Lets say you are right and I am wrong. That will solve everything.

Organizational behavior. If you don't push goals, milestones and such then performance drops. At the top of a very large organization you have surprisingly few and surprising crude levers by which to control the organization. This is one of them.

Reactions: Pdub2015
I don't understand why folks here are so on the side of defending a company.

A company with dis-satisfied customers isn't a good company. I can't imagine what its going to look like when they do this to a mass market vehicle such as the M3 - with people who are counting pennies just to get one in their driveway. Good luck.

It isn't about being on the side of a company, it is about pointing out irrational expectations when you see them.

You tend to speak in absolutes, and that's fine, I suppose - it does make things nice and simple. But the problem with that is it results in statements that don't accurately represent what is real. And that's why you are getting pushback. You call it a lack of empathy, but it isn't that at all; it is pushback against irrational representations that don't match up against the real state of things.

Let's take this statement as an example:

"A company with dis-satisfied customers isn't a good company."

Really? Is that really what you think? I personally would argue that this is a viewpoint which just doesn't coincide with reality. Why? Well, for one thing, because you can take any company of any size and find some percentage of dissatisfied customers. There are a lot of reasons for that. Sometimes it is because the company legitimately screwed up, sometimes it is because the company made a decision to do something unpopular. Sometimes it is because people are just being unfair. Apple is a great example. There are plenty of people who are mad at Apple at any given time. Often it is for conflicting reasons. Some people are mad that Apple took away their standard headphone jack. Other people are pleased because doing so allowed the phone to be more water resistant. Who is correct? Does it matter? Apple is alternatively either the most valuable or second most valuable company on earth. It sells its products globally, and has by many metrics the most recognized and respected brands on earth. Apple continuously wins awards for highest consumer satisfaction. Yet, by your logic, the existence of some unhappy customers means Apple is a bad company.

How is that rational?

The problem with much of what you have stated is that is emotional and, contrary to what you suggest, not practical.

I will say again the same thing I have stated multiple times - a point you have assiduously ignored: having compassion for someone does not require that one agree with their irrational viewpoints or faulty logic. Compassion does not equate to agreement. I have two little boys and I very frequently run across situations where one or both earnestly want something - where they are indeed emotionally broken because of their sense of indignation over a perception of being treated unfairly - and my compassion and empathy for them doesn't mean I simply agree that they are correct. This is not, contrary to what you may think, much different: It is possible to feel badly for someone while disputing the rationality or feasibility of what they want.

There will soon be complaints from early AP2 owners that they paid $8k and still have to steer the car in traffic while the old owners paid much less and have autopilot capabilities. The recent conference call is really a notification of a change that will take quite some time to fully understand.

You are absolutely right - I nearly posted the same thing in a different discussion. Very soon we will begin hearing grumblings from people who bought AP2, but cannot use it because the feature isn't enabled. And we will hear all of the same complaints: Tesla should go faster, it's just software, how hard can it be, etc. etc. etc. And quite possibly, the complaining from the jilted 1.0 base will also not have subsided, so Tesla will have one contingent mad that they didn't get the upgrade, and another mad that they did.

I can almost guarantee that this is coming.

There will soon be complaints from early AP2 owners that they paid $8k and still have to steer the car in traffic while the old owners paid much less and have autopilot capabilities. The recent conference call is really a notification of a change that will take quite some time to fully understand.
No there won't. The future has already been explained.

It was explained that AP2 / $8K purchasers won't have the full capability of AP1 until later. AP2 purchasers ALREADY KNOW that they WILL be in the forefront of AP in the next 6 months or so. AP2 $8K purchasers know what they are purchasing - Right Now. The main reason why many AP2 purchasers might be happy is because there is seemingly a promise as to its relevance all the way out to full autonomy.

However if AP2 $8K purchasers plop down the money and a month later Tesla says.....AP2 is now outdated and AP3 is has totally new hardware and only costs $8.5K......on a new MS or MX........then you will see the same thing that is happening now.

Elon says - "AP2 hardware/software is all you need for full autonomy". Whispers under his breath ( until AP3 next month).

• Disagree
Reactions: Shumdit and MP3Mike
You are absolutely right - I nearly posted the same thing in a different discussion. Very soon we will begin hearing grumblings from people who bought AP2, but cannot use it because the feature isn't enabled. And we will hear all of the same complaints: Tesla should go faster, it's just software, how hard can it be, etc. etc. etc. And quite possibly, the complaining from the jilted 1.0 base will also not have subsided, so Tesla will have one contingent mad that they didn't get the upgrade, and another mad that they did.

I can almost guarantee that this is coming.
As well they should. If Tesla says that AP2 hardware and software is all you need for full autonomy ( as they have ) and then it turns out that it isn't.....people should grumble.

If Tesla does it again....I can also guarantee it will happen again.

No there won't. The future has already been explained.

When I ask my magic 8 ball "will some buyers of AP2 complain that the activation period is taking too long?", it says this:

magic+8+ball.jpg