Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP battery in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree! Does anyone think Tesla or other EV makers will raise their prices if the bill passes?

Some argue anticipation of a new credit passing is behind some (or all) of the multiple price raises Tesla has already done this year.

Everyone else (other than GM) still has the existing credit available to them and their prices reflect that (ie they're mainly not competitive with Tesla without it so they might well need to CUT prices if Tesla gets the credit back).

For GM- they went from selling Bolts with small dealer incentives and a $7500 tax credit to selling them with HUGE dealer incentives... roughly similar to the amount of the lost credit... so I expect they'd just go back to the old smaller-incentives plan since legacy auto can hide real pricing a lot easier.

Does anyone know if the SR+ LFP speaker situation? Does it include speakers from the Full Premium Interior we can activate?

AFAIK it's physically the same car is the previous SR+ just with a different battery pack

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Elon told us as much earlier this year when he said standard range vehicles are going to LFP batteries at some point as they are cheaper to produce and use less nickel. There is no reason to have NCA batteries in a “standard range“ EV as it is not needed for the specified range. They are also considered less toxic and less prone to combustion and thus deemed safer. I don’t see this as a negative for anybody who is getting a standard range Tesla in the future.
Standard range should be fine with so many charging stations coming to Ottawa & southern Ontario. Maybe next year 2022 I'll acquire a used Tesla I considered in 2014!

• Disagree
Reactions: SaintMickey®

Sandy visits a place where they have a open model 3 LFP battery

Finally got around to watch this entire video. WOW very cool and even more happy I we snagged a LFP battery. I am a Senior National Account manager for a "manufacturing" company and seeing/hearing all of the "simplifications" in battery and electronics bay is fantastic. Simple is almost always best and I believe in our Tesla's it is 100% better.

Are LFP cars still showing up in inventory? Anyone receive an LFP car recently? I'm wondering if that was just a short term fix to get through the quarter and we are back to NCA only for the time being.
I had read in several places that the LFP battery would be used in the SR+ going forward. Unsure if that has been confirmed in any official way. But it would be consistent with things Elon Musk has tweeted over the past year.

Reactions: TexaCali
After a full charge and driving a bit with SOC down to 99.4%, LFP battery was showing 54 kW regen power.

Attachments

• C3AEC181-6792-42F2-8A61-3A02CEA7867C.png
    C3AEC181-6792-42F2-8A61-3A02CEA7867C.png
    373 KB · Views: 156
I suspect Tesla will turn the LFP knob when NCA packs are the constraint. If giga Texas goes online using 2170 cells, then importing LFP packs make sense instead of producing less model 3 SR. It's all supply chain management. If Fremont and Nevada product mixes are compatible there would be no need for LFP unless it's much cheaper to import.

I suspect Tesla will turn the LFP knob when NCA packs are the constraint. If giga Texas goes online using 2170 cells, then importing LFP packs make sense instead of producing less model 3 SR. It's all supply chain management. If Fremont and Nevada product mixes are compatible there would be no need for LFP unless it's much cheaper to import.
I think your last point, regarding cost, combined with the fact that most SR+ worldwide have LFP batteries, suggests that LFP may become the default battery for SR+.

I think your last point, regarding cost, combined with the fact that most SR+ worldwide have LFP batteries, suggests that LFP may become the default battery for SR+.
Yes, but the "worldwide" M3 at this point are coming from China. Since CATL is making the LFP batteries in China, I'm sure the bottom line price of using a China battery in a China car is less than a China battery imported for installation in a US car. I'm a former "Big 3" engineer and I promise you Tesla is going to pick whatever battery will allow them to make the most cars at the lowest cost. Cost is always the answer.

LFP comes to US if battery production in Nevada becomes supply constrained OR its way cheaper and you don't mind running Nevada at less capacity. I think the later is unlikely since the Nevada plant is a JV of Tesla with Panasonic and they have a more vested interest at a high utilization rate.

Yes, but the "worldwide" M3 at this point are coming from China. Since CATL is making the LFP batteries in China, I'm sure the bottom line price of using a China battery in a China car is less than a China battery imported for installation in a US car. I'm a former "Big 3" engineer and I promise you Tesla is going to pick whatever battery will allow them to make the most cars at the lowest cost. Cost is always the answer.

LFP comes to US if battery production in Nevada becomes supply constrained OR its way cheaper and you don't mind running Nevada at less capacity. I think the later is unlikely since the Nevada plant is a JV of Tesla with Panasonic and they have a more vested interest at a high utilization rate.
I agree with most of this. Cost is the answer UNLESS performance, reliability, or the like are materially reduced. In the case of the LFP battery, its benefits appear to outweigh the detriments, at least in the standard range vehicles. Recently, it does seem as though Tesla was prioritizing use of the NCA battery in the long range and performance models, where the NCA is necessary to provide the range and power within the allotted battery pack space. This suggests a shortage of the NCA battery for use in the SR+, where it is not needed as Tesla can achieve essentially the same efficiency in spite of the weight increase, and the space available for the battery pack is sufficient to accommodate the extra size of the LFP.

I have a 2020 SR+ M3, but due to high values of used cars, it can be cost effective now to upgrade to a new SR + M3, provided I could be assured of getting one with an LFP battery. Assuming that it is correct about an LFP battery wanting to be charged to 100% virtually all the time, along with perhaps some other overall LFP benefits, I would be happy to trade up to a new SR+ M3, again if guaranteed with an LFP battery.