Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP range in decent weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’ve posted about this before but it appeared to be down to the chillier weather but I could do with some advice on range for my 2021 SR+.

I’m only getting about 130 miles out of a full charge, and the weather has been pretty nice (17deg and upwards). The battery hasn’t really been cold and my whpm appears to be reasonable.

I hear people with LFP saying in summer weather they can get 180+ miles and whilst that would be great, I travel about 150 miles a week so I means having to charge twice a week which I think is a bit silly (renovations mean I have no home charger at the moment). Charging twice a week at 80ppkw is costing me about £80 for a twice a week charge… more than any other car I’ve owned.

Im not sure what I’m doing wrong!

I’ve attached a couple of photos.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1384.jpeg
    IMG_1384.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 5
First clue is on the screen - aggressive acceleration. Are you driving like a madman? Try chill mode for a while and see if that changes anything. (EDIT: I see chill mode in the screen shot. Are you still using a lot of acceleration?)
Second clue is the climate usage - it seems a bit higher, what settings do you have the climate set to? Are you always fiddling with it?
Third, you're at 45k miles so expect a small amount of battery degradation.
Fourth, the earliest LFP batteries were actually a bit smaller than what is used now. IIRC, you're about 5kWh of capacity down, so that's roughly 20 miles.

Add all these together and I can certainly imagine a loss not too far off what you're seeing.

To be honest I drive like a pensioner, hence the decent whpm. Climate between 19-21 but sometimes I turn it off completely.

140/150 miles for £40 just seems ludicrous. We were going to do a European trip in it but at that rate it would cost far more than any of our other combustion cars even at supercharger rates.

The “everything else” portion has used 7%. What does “everything else” include?

At 230wh/mi you should be getting well over 130 miles. But I’m guessing it’s not 130 miles non stop?

Because you may also be seeing drain during stop for sentry mode and potential battery management. The consumption data only factors in energy used during drives so those metrics might not tell the whole story.

I have a 2021 SR+ on 26,500 miles and get about 200-225 miles real world range. Worse if it's cold and if it spend lots of time on the motorway. Last week drove from Kaatsheuvel in the Netherlands, where I started with a 100% charge, to the Tunnel entrance near Calais, which is 185 miles. Encountered lots of rain, bad traffic around Antwerp and did 120-130km/h in France where possible, arrived with 11% charge left.

Where are you charging that you're paying 80p/kWh?? Most I've ever paid, for a supercharge, is 40p.

Hi,

I’ve posted about this before but it appeared to be down to the chillier weather but I could do with some advice on range for my 2021 SR+.

I’m only getting about 130 miles out of a full charge, and the weather has been pretty nice (17deg and upwards). The battery hasn’t really been cold and my whpm appears to be reasonable.

I hear people with LFP saying in summer weather they can get 180+ miles and whilst that would be great, I travel about 150 miles a week so I means having to charge twice a week which I think is a bit silly (renovations mean I have no home charger at the moment). Charging twice a week at 80ppkw is costing me about £80 for a twice a week charge… more than any other car I’ve owned.

Im not sure what I’m doing wrong!

I’ve attached a couple of photos.

Thanks
If you are getting 230Wh/mile average then your range would be well over 200 miles... even my 2019 SR+ with no heatpump and smaller battery pack capacity would be over 200 miles at that average. Are you losing battery through running Sentry Mode all the time?

First clue is on the screen - aggressive acceleration. Are you driving like a madman? Try chill mode for a while and see if that changes anything. (EDIT: I see chill mode in the screen shot. Are you still using a lot of acceleration?)
Second clue is the climate usage - it seems a bit higher, what settings do you have the climate set to? Are you always fiddling with it?
Third, you're at 45k miles so expect a small amount of battery degradation.
Fourth, the earliest LFP batteries were actually a bit smaller than what is used now. IIRC, you're about 5kWh of capacity down, so that's roughly 20 miles.

Add all these together and I can certainly imagine a loss not too far off what you're seeing.
We have a heat pump car but the climate is normally always under the cars estimate… unless the passenger decides they want a massive temp difference than the drivers side. It makes a really large difference in power trying to cool one side of the car while you are trying to heat the other side.

I mean we all love multi zone climate control but honestly other than it deciding if you get hot or cold air blown at you, hard to see how in a tiny little box you can have two different temps or in higher end cars with 4 zone, 4 different temps. I struggle to get my head around this.

Anyway just mention this when I see climate is consuming so much more than the car estimated, feels like that could be the reason there.

I think you might be on to something. Every time I look at that I’m always surprised at how much percentage climate has used. We never mix temperatures on the climate and it’s never really over 21degrees (in these temperatures anyway)

What would normally cause high usage? Heat pump issues?

I think you might be on to something. Every time I look at that I’m always surprised at how much percentage climate has used. We never mix temperatures on the climate and it’s never really over 21degrees (in these temperatures anyway)

What would normally cause high usage? Heat pump issues?
What does it show when you look at trip instead of rated?

I think though as others say, you'll be losing range from sentry mode is the most likely cause. It's pretty hungry.

Well, I don’t intend to use it but I’ve had a bug for the last couple of weeks where it will turn on when exiting for one driver (even though it’s off on all profiles). But I turn it off immediately or shortly thereafter.

From the energy app pictures you've shared this all looks pretty reasonable, actually. You're probably not going to be able to get a lot more range out.

Other than the suggestions already shared here, keep an eye on how much energy is consumed while parked vs while driving. The energy app isn't the most intuitive thing in the world; I'd suggestion playing around with it and learning how it works so you understand what it's showing. It has a separate section for "Park" btw. Could be helpful to share a picture of this as well.

230 wh/mile is pretty good for driving efficiency btw - it'll take a pretty large effort (aka compromise) to move that much lower.

Thanks. Yeah, just with reading others getting 200 real world with LFP (and some with higher wh/m) got me questioning why I’m only getting 130-150. Temperatures within the last week or so have been decent to the point I haven’t really had any dots on the regen bar for cold battery so I’ve no idea how people are getting 200 miles with this battery chemistry.

Are your trips short like less than 30 minutes?
Do you charge to 100% regularly?
Have you ever driven to 0%?
From my own experience, I have seen my car drop range when I didn’t do the regular 100% charge.
In the summer I have seen my wpm at 70mph on the motorway as low as 190 ish wpm in the warmer daytime temperatures.
I take it you have your regen/braking set to hold, or the option that gives you the max regen.
You could always raise a service request and they would probably run some remote tests and put your mind at rest.