Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime average power usage starting to go up with heater use!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I've got 14,400 miles on my 3, and the lifetime power usage meter has been slowly dropping, it was down to 225 Wh/mile recently.

But now that I'm starting to use the heater, the power usage is going up, it was at 227 yesterday!

And I already notice the difference, having the heat on in the car sucks the battery down more quickly then using AC.

Do people move to seat heaters or just leave it set on 74° all winter? It seems too luxurious to be able to get heat out of the car as fast as I have been to not use the HVAC. My friends with ICE cars cannot believe how fast it blows hot air.

-Randy

How do you turn off the cabin heater? I don't see a cabin heater on/off switch in my MX. There is only a A/C switch.

Or do you just turn off HVAC? However, without any fresh air circulating, the window may fog up.
There's not a button for OFF, but think back to older cars that have the "Three Dials & a Button" climate control. If you want the heater off, just turn the temperature all the way down to LO, but make sure the A/C is off, so it isn't actively trying to chill the interior. Then all it can be doing is blowing the outside air without heating it. But I would not bother going that hardcore in the winter. Just turn it down to 64 or something, and it will run the heat a little, but not as much.