Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifted Model Y Owners: Report!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been rumors about fitment issues with the Rev. B version of the Tesla TPMS (part number 1490750-01-B) and the Method MR502's. I have the Rev. A version of the TPMS and they fit the MR502's just fine. I have been PM'ed by several folks about this fitment issue, so I am just putting this out there as a PSA. Not sure what the fix might be, but maybe some of the folks using the Rev. B TPMS and MR502's can comment here.
Is the issue with bluetooth connection or fitment of TPMS on method 502 wheels?

Is the issue with bluetooth connection or fitment of TPMS on method 502 wheels?
The issue is with the fitment - the reports I have gotten from a couple others on this site is that there is physical interference between the valve stem and the wheel. My guess is Tesla beefed up the valve stem in their design revision, but I have not seen the issue first hand and I cannot provide any further details.

Reactions: jcan
The issue is with the fitment - the reports I have gotten from a couple others on this site is that there is physical interference between the valve stem and the wheel. My guess is Tesla beefed up the valve stem in their design revision, but I have not seen the issue first hand and I cannot provide any further details.
I just got my 502 method rims and tried installing these TPMS and they fit good....not sure what people were talking about here...may be they used wrong cheap ones lol

Reactions: gr8tdane24
Also what are your opinions on adding spacers? I remember Lee chan was mentioning rear wheel is not flush. I ordered 20mm rear spacers from Tsportline but not feeling confident about putting them on as there are mixed opinions especially for safety concerns!

Guys, this is not how the suspension of the Model 3/Y works. The example above is for a classic truck suspension design, which uses a separate outboard-mounted bump stop.

With most sedans (and the 3/Y) the bump stop is built into the damper. This is also one of the reasons we include spacers to lower the rear damper down - to properly engage the bump stop and prevent coil bind, but also to increase droop travel to match the new ride height.

I would suggest removing that video as it is misleading and irrelevant.

A friendly reminder to those on the internet (including you @lonsomecrow), please don't post like you're an expert if you're not :) How can you know? Well, if you haven't been working in suspension design as your primary profession for the past 5+ years, you're almost certainly not an expert.

-Sasha

Guys, this is not how the suspension of the Model 3/Y works. The example above is for a classic truck suspension design, which uses a separate outboard-mounted bump stop.

With most sedans (and the 3/Y) the bump stop is built into the damper. This is also one of the reasons we include spacers to lower the rear damper down - to properly engage the bump stop and prevent coil bind, but also to increase droop travel to match the new ride height.

I would suggest removing that video as it is misleading and irrelevant.

A friendly reminder to those on the internet (including you @lonsomecrow), please don't post like you're an expert if you're not :) How can you know? Well, if you haven't been working in suspension design as your primary profession for the past 5+ years, you're almost certainly not an expert.

-Sasha
Thanks for the clarification. I’m not saying I’m an expert 😄
I just posted this information for discussion. If you’d mentioned in more details in your website about how these spacers are designed to not cause any issues, it would’ve been better.

Its good have opinions and discussions when it comes your safety!

Reactions: easter
Thanks for clarifying @MountainPass ! Just got my kit installed today!

IMG_1443.jpeg
IMG_1444.jpeg