Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Liftgate (rear trunk) trying to eat my mother-in-law

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But that is on opening, with the car thinking that the liftgate opening was blocked, yes?

That's different than the OP's case, I'd imagine, where presumably it's been sitting open for a while and just decides to close on its own.

That's the bug. The lift gate 'thinks' it is blocked so it begins to close. But in fact it wasn't blocked. (And mine was on level ground). The issue is the trunk hits the max, thinks its blocked and starts to shut on it s own, while beeping. That's why resetting the open point slightly lower than the max eliminates the issues. It doesn't 'bump' against the physical max and close.

I can't say for certain the OP was having this same issue. Bt it is the one I had. And others had. Which is why the support team knew of and advised this workaround til I next come in for other service.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

I'll try resetting the max height and see if that "fixes" it, but I still haven't actually witnessed this behavior for myself.

My wife and I left the kiddos with her mother last night and took the Model S out for dinner and a movie. She drove on the way to dinner, and tried to recreate the issue but couldn't (much to her frustration).

Also, they were on flat, level ground each time the issue occurred.

More as I know it myself.

I'm having this issue and would like to try resetting the stop point of the hatch opening, but don't know how to get it to stop. It's either on its way up or its on its way down. How do I either open it manually or otherwise get it to stop so I can reset the stop point?
Thanks!

Quick Update:

As of today (Saturday, Sept. 21) neither my wife nor I have been unable to replicate this issue. I've had my first Ranger service since then as well and they were unable to find anything unusual either. So the mystery continues, and I'll update later if we ever see it happen again.

PS - In what is either an example of the most amazing, most proactive customer service I've ever encountered in my life or an intrusively creepy, Big Brother-esque display of disappearing privacy (I'm choosing the former, although YMMV), Tesla actually reached out to me after I posted this thread. They called and left a message saying they'd seen on the boards that I was having an issue with a car that had, in their words, "developed a taste for mothers-in-law" and wanted to see if everything was okay and what they could do to help. I laughed my butt off when I got the voicemail - these guys are serious about making sure their customers are happy!

So, hi everyone from Tesla who's reading these boards! Thanks for the great car and service! ;-)

Open the hatch and when it stops, move the hatch to the opening spot you want. The press and hold the open button on the hatch lid until you hear a few beeps.

You can always stop the hatch by holding it while it's moving and the move it to the desired position..

I'm having this issue and would like to try resetting the stop point of the hatch opening, but don't know how to get it to
stop. It's either on its way up or its on its way down. How do I either open it manually or otherwise get it to stop so I can reset the stop point?
Thanks!

Open the hatch and when it stops, move the hatch to the opening spot you want. The press and hold the open button on the hatch lid until you hear a few beeps.

You can always stop the hatch by holding it while it's moving and the move it to the desired position..

Thanks. Mine never stopped. (just went all the way up and then immediately all the way down) But I was able to press and hold the close button when it was almost to the top. That reset the stop point and fixed my problem.