Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update on this sir?

I picked up two of the Ts today -- regretably the rest for the 6 testers won't be finished until Wednesday. So I'm going to complete one this weekend and post photos of the results. This way I can get all of the installation steps finalized. The biggest challenge is folding the LED strip into the hollowed out part of the T without damaging the circuit.

Rick
Good luck with the install. Look forward to seeing pics. Would be great if I could get my T by next weekend as I am scheduled for front and rear parking install on the 11th and it may be best to do it at the same time since the full front of the car will be removed. no pressure :)

PS-wish your front camera mod was ready...timing is everything! Have a great weeeknd

Rick
Good luck with the install. Look forward to seeing pics. Would be great if I could get my T by next weekend as I am scheduled for front and rear parking install on the 11th and it may be best to do it at the same time since the full front of the car will be removed. no pressure :)

PS-wish your front camera mod was ready...timing is everything! Have a great weeeknd

You'll have it by next weekend if I have to FedEx it to you.

As for the front camera, now just waiting on the corrected cables to arrive. Everything else is ready.

I've finished assembling and testing the new lighted T, which is made with a 3D printed shell and very narrow LED strips from Oznium.com. I'm very pleased with the results -- it's a big improvement over the previous version with a PCB board and the need to cut out part of the nose cone frame. All of that is not necessary with the new version. Two 5/64's holes in the nose cone is the only need for alterations to the car. The light is much more even and brighter. I'll post some photos this evening.

The 6 beta testers will be shipped kits on Wednesday or Thursday. They'll be assembling them and installing them on their own cars and offering suggestions so we can make a kit for everyone interested in this mod.

Now I'm on to lighting the T on the rear lift gate. Already have one on order from Tesla and now that I know the tricks, this should be piece of cake. This will require two 5/64s hole in the lift gate sheet metal to connect the wiring to power. There's no way to avoid that.

I

Now I'm on to lighting the T on the rear lift gate. Already have one on order from Tesla and now that I know the tricks, this should be piece of cake. This will require two 5/64s hole in the lift gate sheet metal to connect the wiring to power. There's no way to avoid that.
i assume the rear would be lit red ..... sounds awesome count me in on both. i would like the to be wired to the parking or daytime lights. it would be cool if the rear got brighter when braking! THANK YOU FOR WORKING ON ALL OF THESE AWESOME MODS!!

I've finished assembling and testing the new lighted T, which is made with a 3D printed shell and very narrow LED strips from Oznium.com. I'm very pleased with the results -- it's a big improvement over the previous version with a PCB board and the need to cut out part of the nose cone frame. All of that is not necessary with the new version. Two 5/64's holes in the nose cone is the only need for alterations to the car. The light is much more even and brighter. I'll post some photos this evening.

The 6 beta testers will be shipped kits on Wednesday or Thursday. They'll be assembling them and installing them on their own cars and offering suggestions so we can make a kit for everyone interested in this mod.

This sounds like great news and great progress. Thanks for all your effort on this project. I'm really hopeful this is available widely for a reasonable price soon.

Here are some photos of the new lighted T installed on my car. The photos do not do it justice: the camera captures much more of the reflection on the V below the T than the eye actually notices.

_DSC4182.JPG

_DSC4178.JPG

_DSC4181.JPG

_DSC4188.JPG

_DSC4190.JPG

This photo shows a small LED mounted on the dash that indicates that the lighted T is on.

_DSC4149.JPG

We should have a kit available in about one month, when the 6 testers have finished installation and testing. Don't know price yet as the makers of the 3d T and arch have not yet billed me or even given me any indication of cost.

Great news that you have discovered a solution that doesn't require cutting the nose cone frame! I had backed out as a beta tester because I didn't want to cause permanent damage to the car. This is looking very promising.

Possible but difficult unless we can find a similar very thin LED strip in red. A lot to fit in a very small space. But worth a try.

I would be concerned about laws that might restrict white lights on the rear of a vehicle (other than illuminating the license plate). I think red on the rear would look sweet.. brighter when braking. white for the front. connect the front to daylight running light circuit, connect the rear to the license plate lighting (or to the tail/brake if going with the brighter when braking option). Just some thoughts. This is a very fun/unique mod!

Rick

AMAZING results! The light is so much more even then before and looks so good.....!

Excited you are now tackling the rear "T" logo.... But I have a challenge for you :eek:

I think it would be SO COOL to have the embossed Tesla lettering on the rear chrome strip to light up at night so you can read "Tesla" in the dark. Of course, that would require cutting out the raised part of the lettering and putting some sort of thin flat lighting material (thin flat OLED white light or Electroluminescent Tape) to be placed behind the chrome strip.

EL Tape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121177931957?lpid=82

Do you think that is at all possible? And don't worry - I *know* I'm crazy!

Aaron

Rick

AMAZING results! The light is so much more even then before and looks so good.....!

Excited you are now tackling the rear "T" logo.... But I have a challenge for you :eek:

I think it would be SO COOL to have the embossed Tesla lettering on the rear chrome strip to light up at night so you can read "Tesla" in the dark. Of course, that would require cutting out the raised part of the lettering and putting some sort of thin flat lighting material (thin flat OLED white light or Electroluminescent Tape) to be placed behind the chrome strip.

EL Tape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121177931957?lpid=82

Do you think that is at all possible? And don't worry - I *know* I'm crazy!

Aaron

It's very possible and I've been thinking about since you suggested this months ago. EL tape is probably it, although side lighting a thin plexi strip might also work. I'll turn to this after the rear T.

I love how even the light looks coming out of the plexi. Super nice job!!

Can't wait to play with this and looking forward to a rear kit as well. I hope there's a switched +12V source in the trunk lid.

This version is not Plexi -- the T's are 3D printed with whatever material is used for that. Plastics to be sure but not Plexi. That helps with the light diffusion.