Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great question. I found a different wireless controller that will be easier to set up, can be put in standby mode, has smoother transitions, and remembers the previous setting on start up. It's also less expensive (less than $10) I've ordered several and will install in the current set-up tomorrow night.

Rick, this is looking awesome!! I love the pulsating glow too.

I had a question. With the control unre using (which I've ordered) is there a way to tell it to automatically "go to last setting" when it gets power on the red wire? Meaning when I turn off the car with it at a certain setting, it will automatically resume that setting when the car comes back on/it gets power again? That would be awesome! (Assuming of course you tap a fuse which is on only when the car is on)

Thanks for all your hardwork which I'm sure a lot of us will benefit from!!

Great question. I found a different wireless controller that will be easier to set up, can be put in standby mode, has smoother transitions, and remembers the previous setting on start up. It's also less expensive (less than $10) I've ordered several and will install in the current set-up tomorrow night.

Cool, I just ordered it as well. Thanks for letting me know. I'd rather not have to press buttons everytime I turn on the car, and I'll likely leave it in pulse mode all the time, but who knows. :)

Finishing up the final beta for installation this weekend and have worked out all the major issues regarding installation. Assuming it all works I will start making the 5 kits for the testers this week, and hopefully ship them this week. As one tester has dropped out and the person on the waiting list has not responded I have on slot left for a tester. The first one who PM's me will get a kit.

- - - Updated - - -

The open tester slot has been filled by AnOutsider.

Finishing up the final beta for installation this weekend and have worked out all the major issues regarding installation. Assuming it all works I will start making the 5 kits for the testers this week, and hopefully ship them this week. As one tester has dropped out and the person on the waiting list has not responded I have on slot left for a tester. The first one who PM's me will get a kit.

- - - Updated - - -

Ill be a testor

Oops not fast enough :( put me down for final version then

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Rick!

Are you installing the final beta on your CF wrapped cone or the black one? Does your CF cone also have the chrome trim blacked out like mine?

Can't wait to start playing. :)

Hi Rick!

Are you installing the final beta on your CF wrapped cone or the black one? Does your CF cone also have the chrome trim blacked out like mine?

Can't wait to start playing. :)

Yes.

I just finished installing the final version with milky white plexi on my car. This was a very successful install, as I've benefited enormously from trial and error as well as mistakes on previous versions. I can now replace the nose cone in under two minutes:)

Seriously, the alignment of the holes in the nose cone for the LED leads was a huge problem in previous versions and required a lot of hand filing to get everything right. Not this time -- the holes aligned perfectly, and the way the kit is set up will make that much easier for the testers. With this version I added 8 more LEDs for at total of 18. This will not be a kit feature -- the kits will have 10 LEDs. The reason? Threading the LED leads into the holes in the PCB board is tough enough with 10 LEDs. It's almost impossible with 18 -- that task alone took about four hours of frustration that was so severe I almost gave up. Instead, I stopped, went to bed, and finished it in the morning.

This final version is installed on my carbon fiber wrap nose cone. Before installing I blacked out with carbon fiber wrap the chrome piece that runs across the front and includes the V under the T. We have a very, bright sunny day here, so I'll take some photos later today as the sunlight lessens. Hopefully the black out will reduce the V reflections to acceptable levels.

This version also works with the new remote control, which is excellent with amazing features. I'll take and post a video tonight to show it in operation.

I'll start putting all the kits together this week and ship them by next weekend.

Yes.

I just finished installing the final version with milky white plexi on my car. This was a very successful install, as I've benefited enormously from trial and error as well as mistakes on previous versions. I can now replace the nose cone in under two minutes:)

Seriously, the alignment of the holes in the nose cone for the LED leads was a huge problem in previous versions and required a lot of hand filing to get everything right. Not this time -- the holes aligned perfectly, and the way the kit is set up will make that much easier for the testers. With this version I added 8 more LEDs for at total of 18. This will not be a kit feature -- the kits will have 10 LEDs. The reason? Threading the LED leads into the holes in the PCB board is tough enough with 10 LEDs. It's almost impossible with 18 -- that task alone took about four hours of frustration that was so severe I almost gave up. Instead, I stopped, went to bed, and finished it in the morning.

This final version is installed on my carbon fiber wrap nose cone. Before installing I blacked out with carbon fiber wrap the chrome piece that runs across the front and includes the V under the T. We have a very, bright sunny day here, so I'll take some photos later today as the sunlight lessens. Hopefully the black out will reduce the V reflections to acceptable levels.

This version also works with the new remote control, which is excellent with amazing features. I'll take and post a video tonight to show it in operation.

I'll start putting all the kits together this week and ship them by next weekend.

Wow, you are a very determined fan. :p To try 18 LEDs! It looked amazing with 10. Is the difference significant with 18? Did you make another custom circuit board to accept the 18?

I'm looking forward to the kit. I should receive the two controllers next week so the timing is perfect. I might return the first one if it really is no good.

Wow, you are a very determined fan. :p To try 18 LEDs! It looked amazing with 10. Is the difference significant with 18? Did you make another custom circuit board to accept the 18?

I'm looking forward to the kit. I should receive the two controllers next week so the timing is perfect. I might return the first one if it really is no good.

I'll post some photos and a video of the 18 LED version shortly. It puts out more light but I don't think it was worth all of the extra trouble. I did design a new PCB and I've also modified the 10 LED PCB to make the install easier. Forget the Oznium controller. The Amazon one is far superior and much less expensive.

Here's the new video. This is the final version that will be supplied in the test kits, but with one difference -- it has 18 LEDs and the test kits will have 10. Ten is enough for all the proper effects and 18 make installation a total nightmare.

The camera captures reflections that the naked eye largely misses. All of the effects are controlled with this device:
61bpizgYOnL._SX522_.jpg
Info on it and ordering is here:

I added a bit of narration as I used the controller.

I've been leaving the T on all night with no problem. It draws very little current and will only drain the 12v battery over a very long period of time if the car is not plugged in (a week or more).