Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What will be involved in installing this? If pretty simple, I'm interested. ;)

Until the 6 beta testers finish their assembly and testing I'm not sure. For now the Oznium diamond LED strips have to be threaded into the 3d T and arch, mounted on the nose cone, and wired to a 12v power source controlled with a remote that syncs with Homelink. So it's a project for an advanced DYI type. But we may find a way to supply the T and arch already set up for mounting so any beginning DYI type or car mod shop can do it.

- - - Updated - - -

What does it look like in day light? Will it be on all the time or only at night?

In my current set up light is not bright enough in daylight to be clearly seen. If it was it would be blinding at night and you'd never see the T -- it would just be a ball of light. It's really designed for night time use or overcast days. But further experimentation may change that. At full brightness, the Oznium strips are very bright but also heat up to nearly 200 degrees. In an enclosed space like the 3D T, that's not good for the longevity of the LEDs. We're using a resistor to lower the heat to appropriate levels, but that also lowers the brightness. So compromises have to be made.

I think he's (like me) wondering what the new T looks like in daylight (unlit)...Does it look pretty normal or is it an obviously modded T?
Looks pretty much the same as the plain version. On close inspection the well-informed would see a difference but not John Q. Public. It's raised 9/32s" and the lighted area under the chrome T and arch are a kind of milky white. I'll take some photos tomorrow.

This version is not Plexi -- the T's are 3D printed with whatever material is used for that. Plastics to be sure but not Plexi. That helps with the light diffusion.

Oops, I knew that. I guess I didn't have a good name for it since it's the raw material for the 3D printer. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Rick

AMAZING results! The light is so much more even then before and looks so good.....!

Excited you are now tackling the rear "T" logo.... But I have a challenge for you :eek:

I think it would be SO COOL to have the embossed Tesla lettering on the rear chrome strip to light up at night so you can read "Tesla" in the dark. Of course, that would require cutting out the raised part of the lettering and putting some sort of thin flat lighting material (thin flat OLED white light or Electroluminescent Tape) to be placed behind the chrome strip.

EL Tape:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121177931957?lpid=82

Do you think that is at all possible? And don't worry - I *know* I'm crazy!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I just ordered that chrome strip from my local service center. I'll order a short length of EL tape (hopefully it's available in lengths less than a foot (which is all we need). Then I'll dremel out the letters and see if there's a neat way of passing a wire there (the back of the strip will tell me where the clips/holes are, etc).

I'll keep you all posted on progress. Maybe I should start a new thread once I get things going. :)

Edit: Does anyone know if EL tape can be cut basically anywhere along its length? It looks like the conductors run along its length which leads me to believe that it *is* possible...

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the T in daylight, unlighted.

_DSC4193.JPG

_DSC4194.JPG

_DSC4191.JPG

Cool project Artsci! I know it's late in the game for this, but had you considered using Electroluminescent wire to provide the light? I've used this on a few projects, it runs very cool but not sure if it would provide the brightness you're looking for.

CooLight Electroluminescent Wire

Tried that out at the very beginning of this experiment. Decided not to go with it for several good reasons:

Light is not bright enough
Has a bluish cast even in the "white" EL
Degrades over time

Oops, I knew that. I guess I didn't have a good name for it since it's the raw material for the 3D printer. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Aaron,

I just ordered that chrome strip from my local service center. I'll order a short length of EL tape (hopefully it's available in lengths less than a foot (which is all we need). Then I'll dremel out the letters and see if there's a neat way of passing a wire there (the back of the strip will tell me where the clips/holes are, etc).

I'll keep you all posted on progress. Maybe I should start a new thread once I get things going. :)

Edit: Does anyone know if EL tape can be cut basically anywhere along its length? It looks like the conductors run along its length which leads me to believe that it *is* possible...

Zax

Keep us posted!

The only problem I foresee is the plastic behind the chrome piece is attached to. It seems solid and not hollow and the end of the EL tape has that bulkier connector that needs to be tucked somewhere... Also make sure you get an EL strip that is taller than the lettering! The link I gave - the white glowing part is only .31" tall... the lettering is 11/16" (almost 3/4") tall.

I'm so excited though - REALLY looking forward to this mod too!

Aaron

Does anyone know if EL tape can be cut basically anywhere along its length? It looks like the conductors run along its length which leads me to believe that it *is* possible...
EL material is basically a capacitor, so it's constructed as a "sandwich" of layers: the power conductors are the top and bottom layers (well, inside the protective layers), so it can usually be cut into arbitrary shapes. BUT...

• charges can accumulate at corners, so complex shapes won't be evenly bright
  • the conductive layers have some resistance, so brightness can vary over large areas and long lengths (this is likely why there are wire conductors down the length of the tape)
  • the material between the conductors is very sensitive to moisture, and will quickly degrade in the presence of water vapour; if you do cut it, be sure to seal the edge carefully to keep it waterproof
  • changing the area of EL material will change its electrical characteristics; make sure the driver circuit can adjust appropriately

EL material is basically a capacitor, so it's constructed as a "sandwich" of layers: the power conductors are the top and bottom layers (well, inside the protective layers), so it can usually be cut into arbitrary shapes. BUT...

• charges can accumulate at corners, so complex shapes won't be evenly bright
  • the conductive layers have some resistance, so brightness can vary over large areas and long lengths (this is likely why there are wire conductors down the length of the tape)
  • the material between the conductors is very sensitive to moisture, and will quickly degrade in the presence of water vapour; if you do cut it, be sure to seal the edge carefully to keep it waterproof
  • changing the area of EL material will change its electrical characteristics; make sure the driver circuit can adjust appropriately

This why I think we need to use thin plexi side-lit with LEDs. None of those problems.

Here are some photos of the new lighted T installed on my car. The photos do not do it justice: the camera captures much more of the reflection on the V below the T than the eye actually notices.
We should have a kit available in about one month, when the 6 testers have finished installation and testing. Don't know price yet as the makers of the 3d T and arch have not yet billed me or even given me any indication of cost.

Can't wait ... Must have ... :)

6 3D Ts and arches shipped to the 6 beta testers today. We should being seeing installation results early next week. In the meantime mine is running fine.

If all goes well I'm guessing the kits will be available in less than 30 days. After the testers have completed their installations and I have their feedback, I'll post detailed installation instructions so that everyone can make a judgment about whether he or she wants to do this as a DIY project or use an installer.

6 3D Ts and arches shipped to the 6 beta testers today. We should being seeing installation results early next week. In the meantime mine is running fine.

If all goes well I'm guessing the kits will be available in less than 30 days. After the testers have completed their installations and I have their feedback, I'll post detailed installation instructions so that everyone can make a judgment about whether he or she wants to do this as a DIY project or use an installer.

I'm super jealous! We don't need to get on 'the list' with you at this point if we want to get in on this right?

Looking forward to receiving the beta kit-to the other beta testers, please let me know if you have figured out a way to wire it to the headlights. Would ideally like it on at all ties with the headight but wire a switch to turn off if needed. Would rather not have it on during the daylight or have to keep turning it on or off. Another option would be to wire it in with a photosensor so it automatically goes on at a preadjusted darkness level. That may be the easiest option. Will do some research......please share your suggestions/ideas as well......appreciate the expertise and experience this forum has to offer.....thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Something like this - small sensor giving multiple install options

http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Photoelectric-Switch-Sensor-50mmx25mm/dp/B00BLZ93T2