Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lighted Tesla T for nosecone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting for some free time to install this but hooking up to the headlights with the Oznium controller sounds like a great idea. The issue (if I recall correctly) is that the Oznium controller does not remember its on:eek:ff setting when the controller is power cycled. Thus if you turn on your headlight you still need to use the remote to turn on the T even if the T was set "on" at last use. I understand the brightness/effects settings are preserved but the overall on/off isn't if you power cycle the Oznium.

Or, am I entirely wrong?

Another alternative is to install the Oznium controller through the fuse so that it's always on, but then run the output through a relay that turns on and off using the headlights. This way, the Oznium is always on and therefore always remembers its setting, but the T only turns on if the headlights are on.

Another alternative is to install the Oznium controller through the fuse so that it's always on, but then run the output through a relay that turns on and off using the headlights. This way, the Oznium is always on and therefore always remembers its setting, but the T only turns on if the headlights are on.

When power to the Oznium controller is turned off it does not remember the previous setting when power is restored. It will be off until switched on with the remote or Homelink.

That's why I'm saying that you keep power to the Oznium all the time. You are only using the relay to break the output circuit that goes to the T. The input power for the Oznium stays on all the time, hence remembering the setting.

That's why I'm saying that you keep power to the Oznium all the time. You are only using the relay to break the output circuit that goes to the T. The input power for the Oznium stays on all the time, hence remembering the setting.

Now I get it. A very good solution. Oznium has an off-on remote that if wired in the output circuit will do the trick.

Also after much searching I found a Light Intensity Controlled LED Dimmer. I think this is just what the doctor ordered, as it will dim or brighten the Lighted T based on the ambient light brightness. I'm going to order one to try it out.

dim16_main_0.jpg

dim16_bi_1.jpg

Last edited:

I am trying to picture the circuit through my head. I can understand how to hook up the Oznium controller to the fuse box. I guess the relay wire going to the headlight to control it going on and off is what I need to tap into. Does anyone know which one that it is?

Last edited:
Got mine installed today. It looks great. I do not think it is too bright as it actually matches the top part of the LEDs in the headlights. I got mine professionally installed as I am not good with cars and we simply did it so that they would turn on when the headlines turn on. Very nice even my wife liked it!

Got mine installed today. It looks great. I do not think it is too bright as it actually matches the top part of the LEDs in the headlights. I got mine professionally installed as I am not good with cars and we simply did it so that they would turn on when the headlines turn on. Very nice even my wife liked it!

Can you send me picture of what it looks like. If that is the case, maybe I will just hook it to the headlights and be done with it.

Last edited:

This sounds interesting... can someone spell it out a bit more clearly for those of use with limited technical expertise...

Can you send me picture of what it looks like. If that is the case, maybe I will just hook it to the headlights and be done with it.

Here's a photo today with the headlights on. Daytime with cloudy skies. Sounds like if it is installed to the DRL's, it goes off when the headlights are on, so I'll leave it with the headlights until one of the wise folk here figure that one out.
photo.JPG

Here's a photo in my garage before I finished it all up:
photo 2.JPG

Last edited:
This sounds interesting... can someone spell it out a bit more clearly for those of use with limited technical expertise...

Hopefully this diagram clarifies a bit. You should be able to use a standard automotive relay that you can find at any auto parts store. I'm pretty sure the pin numbers are standard on all of these relays.

lighted-t-relay-headlights.png

Hopefully this diagram clarifies a bit. You should be able to use a standard automotive relay that you can find at any auto parts store. I'm pretty sure the pin numbers are standard on all of these relays.

View attachment 42863

Thank you for this. Using artsci's original design, am I to assume that the red with white strip wire needs to be cut and placed along the control relay and the lighted T would be on the other pin?

View attachment 42863
This looks simple to wire up... so how would the lighted T work ?? (I am so remedial!) .. Oznium would be powered 24/7 ... the lighted t would come on and off with the headlights... and you can still use the remote if you want correct?

A link to the specific relay would be helpful... also - what fuse would we tap into for the oznium controller?

Thank you for this. Using artsci's original design, am I to assume that the red with white strip wire needs to be cut and placed along the control relay and the lighted T would be on the other pin?

I just looked through artsci's instructions and it looks like the output from the Oznium is the yellow wire, so the yellow from the Oznium would go to pin 30 on the relay and the Red lead from the lighted T would go to pin 87 on the relay.

The red wire with white stripe is the headlight trigger so that would connect to pin 85 on the relay.

- - - Updated - - -

This looks simple to wire up... so how would the lighted T work ?? (I am so remedial!) .. Oznium would be powered 24/7 ... the lighted t would come on and off with the headlights... and you can still use the remote if you want correct?

A link to the specific relay would be helpful... also - what fuse would we tap into for the oznium controller?

Yes, that's exactly how it would work.

Here is a sample relay:

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD-Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG/

You might also want to get a socket for it if you don't want to deal with crimping all the spade connectors and then dealing with making sure they don't short out with electric tape. The socket would be easier to use:

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-5-Pin-Relay-Socket/dp/B0002ZPUMG

Looks like this one is a combo with relay and socket together:

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Truck-Relay-Socket-SPDT/dp/B007JPPQH6/

Ok - I am almost there... couple of quick questions::

1) What fuse does the Oznium plug into that is powered all the time?

2) If I power the relay switch by hooking it up to the DRL = that means the lighted T will be on when the DRLs are on or the headlights 'cause the DRL's are on with the headlights correct?

I am waiting for my Oznium controller to come in so currently I have hooked to the headlights. It didn't take me too long to install this and it looks great. I thought about hooking it up to the DRL. I know that the DRL are on when the headlights are on so it would be all the time I am driving.

Another tip I learned with using the Posi-Tap is to make sure you hear the click. That means the wire gets penetrated. I didn't hear it the first time so the lighted T didn't come on. The second time around I did hear it and it worked like a charm.

Ok - I am almost there... couple of quick questions::
2) If I power the relay switch by hooking it up to the DRL = that means the lighted T will be on when the DRLs are on or the headlights 'cause the DRL's are on with the headlights correct?

In theory, yes. The only concern I have on this one is what voltage is supplied to the DRL's when they are dimmed (when the headlights are on or the blinkers are on) and whether or not that is enough voltage to trigger the relay. I'm guessing the dimming is actually done using PWM and not lowering the voltage, so as long as those pulses are long enough to keep the relay engaged, it should work. I suspect it will work fine, but only way to know is to try it out.