Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lightweight wheels model 3 performance 0-60 testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weight will make almost no difference to range. It matters even less in an EV since you can recover energy stored in the rotating tire with regen.

Tires make the biggest difference. The sticky tires that come on the performance versions are where the range goes. If you care about range, get a narrow, hard tire, but then ask yourself why you bought a performance version....
Makes sense, thank you.

I wasn't aware that GM even mass produced an awd, long range EV - let alone 10 years ago.
You added a lot of qualifiers to the simple statement that the skateboard was not Tesla's idea....

You don't have to mass produce something in order for it to be your idea, and GM had the skateboard idea 20 years ago:

Reactions: Lephturn
You added a lot of qualifiers to the simple statement that the skateboard was not Tesla's idea....

You don't have to mass produce something in order for it to be your idea, and GM had the skateboard idea 20 years ago:

They certainly had the idea then.

They never actually produced an EV using it then though (in fact even the one concept vehicle they made was hydrogen, not BEV)

Ideas are easy. Production is hard.

Having a summer intern sketch some useless pop art with a pencil isn't exactly pioneering the skateboard battery.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 112639.png

Especially considering that Shaper had been mass producing cars with skateboard batteries for decades:

images.jpg

Besides the fact that in 2007 GM was still using the same transmission tunnel battery architecture (Volt) from their 1980's Impact/EV1, and didn't even consider their first skateboard pack until 2017 (Bolt).

chevrolet_100167171_m.jpg

There's only 4 places to put a battery:
- Front/Back/Bottom/Middle

Simply picking one of those 4 places for some artwork isn't any sort of "invention". But actually developing it is.

Are you saying Tesla is paying GM for use of skateboard patents?
You can invent a concept and patent it without actually building prototypes. You can also invent something and get screwed out of the patent. You can also not bother with a patent for an idea that is not able to be realistically defended in court, which is likely the case here.
At least that's been my experience with utility and design patents.

Maybe you could post a hastily Googled link to the contrary?

You can invent a concept and patent it without actually building prototypes. You can also invent something and get screwed out of the patent. You can also not bother with a patent for an idea that is not able to be realistically defended in court, which is likely the case here.
At least that's been my experience with utility and design patents.

Maybe you could post a hastily Googled link to the contrary?

I mean, he defended the notion that "having the idea first" is the worthwhile part- but then when asked for evidence they got anything worthwhile out of that (rather than Tesla having gotten a LOT worthwhile out of actual production) you appear to be.... doing whatever it is you think that post does.

Don't even need google to see how nonsensical your argument is there.

I mean, he defended the notion that "having the idea first" is the worthwhile part- but then when asked for evidence they got anything worthwhile out of that (rather than Tesla having gotten a LOT worthwhile out of actual production) you appear to be.... doing whatever it is you think that post does.

Don't even need google to see how nonsensical your argument is there.
You should google moving threads off topic and sticking your nose around everywhere possible for the sake of a post count.

Maybe you could list out your design patents over the years to enlighten us and then report me to an admin because you can't get everyone to agree to baptizing their children in Tesla rinse water. What is it about your life that drives your need to be a constant buzzkill?

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1
You should google moving threads off topic and sticking your nose around everywhere possible for the sake of a post count.

Since I'm not the one who even raised the skateboard topic (nor even the first, or second, or third, other person to then contribute to that topic) your claim is, as usual, embarrassingly wrong on even the most basic factual level.

Doubly so since as always you can't discuss ideas or facts, just attack posters themselves.

Last edited:

Yes, it wasn't intended to be snarky but in hindsight that could have been better written.

The concept of the skateboard is older than this. I'm sure GM has had and continues to have all kinds of brilliant ideas and concepts, but what they actually manage to bring to the market in terms of EV technology has been distictly underwhelming since days of the EV1.

In my not so humble opinion, the EV1 was GM's Nokia smartphone moment. Everyone involved could see this is the future, but management could not see how to make it as profitable as the current product they would cannibalize. Classic innovators dilemma and killer of many a great corporation.

When selecting a set of lightweight wheels, should they have knurled bead seats? Any reports of tire slippage on any wheels? I want to change my wheels because I don't like the look of the 20" Überturbine Wheels. A little better performance would be nice too. And lighter always help acceleration assuming no computer control.

When selecting a set of lightweight wheels, should they have knurled bead seats? Any reports of tire slippage on any wheels? I want to change my wheels because I don't like the look of the 20" Überturbine Wheels. A little better performance would be nice too. And lighter always help acceleration assuming no computer control.
Knurled bead seats are nice but not needed. Had 100 tread wear tires hard launching 8 times at an autocross and no signs of slippage on the tires.

Reactions: Tes3P and Sam1