Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lightweight wheels model 3 performance 0-60 testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in conclusion, to go faster just get a model s plaid lol. Then repeat this argument when swapping out for lighter parts..

My butt dyno says not having a passenger and not going uphill makes a big difference. Hasn't anyone compared a fully gutted model 3 to the OEM setup? I nominate @Sam1 and @dfwatt's cars for testing.

Reactions: Sam1
So in conclusion, to go faster just get a model s plaid lol. Then repeat this argument when swapping out for lighter parts..

My butt dyno says not having a passenger and not going uphill makes a big difference. Hasn't anyone compared a fully gutted model 3 to the OEM setup? I nominate @Sam1 and @dfwatt's cars for testing.
Not doing any mods on this one except wheels. Holding out until definitive data comes out on the specs of the car with the new motors to see if I need to do another trade-in.

Which once again begs the question, if tesla is limiting the cars acceleration on purpose, could we see an update in the near future for a power increase??? or is it only for the safety of the vehicle?
I've seen 2 seperate HP increases on the M3P through software update, can't remember, but there may have been another one before I got my cars.

The last one was in November 2019 iirc, after Elon had that spat with road and track using old data to show the Taycan was faster. he bumped up the power across the fleet just to rub it in more.

Reactions: Lephturn
Which once again begs the question, if tesla is limiting the cars acceleration on purpose, could we see an update in the near future for a power increase??? or is it only for the safety of the vehicle?
The question that Tesla would artificially limit car's acceleration aside from trim and power levels that you paid for makes no sense does it? If the model 3 was capable of accelerating 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds instead of 3.1 or 3.2 seconds why would Tesla have crippled it? More to the point, given that the Electrified Garage which has hacked into the operating system pretty deeply can't find any extra power suggests that all of these rumors and disinformation about how acceleration is independent of weight and somehow hinged to a mythical G meter are BS. To say nothing of all the published tests that show that it's wrong including the ones that are published and linked on this thread. I'll see if I can dig out my dragy results where I tested whether adding a person to the front seat actually does affect your 0 to 60 times.

It's amazing that we have to prove this stuff because of the appeal of disinformation. No wonder we're in so much trouble as a society. We can't distinguish fact and science from fashionable rumor and garbage. Global warming isn't real, covid isn't a big deal and the CDC statistics are all lies, and covid vaccinations all involve you being injected with reptilian DNA. All of these wild ideas have substantial support. Too bad they are totally disconnected from reality.

Last edited:
new motors? what did I miss…

Hairpin windings. Already shipping on cars out of Shanghai. Unclear if it's just a minor efficiency improvement or if there's any power output benefit at this time.

There's also a 780 motor now, though IIRC it has only shown up on non-P cars so far, nobody seems to know what it is that I've seen- if it's just a yet-again-cheaper and less capable one (like the 990) or something else.

Hairpin windings. Already shipping on cars out of Shanghai. Unclear if it's just a minor efficiency improvement or if there's any power output benefit at this time.

There's also a 780 motor now, though IIRC it has only shown up on non-P cars so far, nobody seems to know what it is that I've seen- if it's just a yet-again-cheaper and less capable one (like the 990) or something else.
Yea, I had forgotten reading that in the list of updates that will be coming over to the US at some point...

The question that Tesla would artificially limit car's acceleration aside from trim and power levels that you paid for makes no sense does it? If the model 3 was capable of accelerating 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds instead of 3.1 or 3.2 seconds why would Tesla have crippled it? More to the point, given that the Electrified Garage which has hacked into the operating system pretty deeply can't find any extra power suggests that all of these rumors and disinformation about how acceleration is independent of weight and somehow hinged to a mythical G meter are BS. To say nothing of all the published tests that show that it's wrong including the ones that are published and linked on this thread. I'll see if I can dig out my dragy results where I tested whether adding a person to the front seat actually does affect your 0 to 60 times.

It's amazing that we have to prove this stuff because of the appeal of disinformation. No wonder we're in so much trouble as a society. We can't distinguish fact and science from fashionable rumor and garbage. Global warming isn't real, covid isn't a big deal and the CDC statistics are all lies, and covid vaccinations all involve you being injected with reptilian DNA. All of these wild ideas have substantial support. Too bad they are totally disconnected from reality.
Well, it kind of does, I've seen multiple videos and dyno graphs to show that the MYP pulls harder on the top end... if they both have the same battery and motors, why would the MYP be faster at the top end? especially since it weighs more?

Well, it kind of does, I've seen multiple videos and dyno graphs to show that the MYP pulls harder on the top end... if they both have the same battery and motors, why would the MYP be faster at the top end? especially since it weighs more?

Thats a good question but hard to answer. If the M3P is giving maximum power at the beginning and leans out on the top end, does that mean there is power left up top or has it spent itself by that point? Also, dynos show it has more power on the top end but that doesn't mean its faster as there is way more weight to pull. Lots of questions but no answers :D

Reactions: Kaz93
Wrong again. The model Y has a rear motor with a 16 KW power advantage over the model 3 rear motor. This was done to make up for its additional 400 lb which would require more than 16 kilowatts to create a completely Level Playing Field, and for that reason even the model Y performance with these upgrades is slower than the model 3 Performance although as you yourself note and many others have commented on, the acceleration difference is less than the weight difference would suggest if they had identical powertrains. But they don't. As for pulling harder at high RPM that maybe a function of its slightly different windings and less vulnerability to field weakening at high RPM.. Get your facts straight and do your research before you post something that proves you have done neither. Tesla Model Y has a more powerful powertrain than Model 3, test shows

• Disagree
Reactions: Kaz93
Wrong again. The model Y has a rear motor with a 16 KW power advantage over the model 3 rear motor. This was done to make up for its additional 400 lb which would require more than 16 kilowatts to create a completely Level Playing Field, and for that reason even the model Y performance with these upgrades is slower than the model 3 Performance although as you yourself note and many others have commented on, the acceleration difference is less than the weight difference would suggest if they had identical powertrains. But they don't. As for pulling harder at high RPM that maybe a function of its slightly different windings and less vulnerability to field weakening at high RPM.. Get your facts straight and do your research before you post something that proves you have done neither. Tesla Model Y has a more powerful powertrain than Model 3, test shows
Tesla Motors Club was not created for some high-level genius to answer questions that others posted. It is a forum where people can ask questions and come to conclusions based on the opinions of others. A community where people can ask all the questions they want and theorize why something might be. Asking a simple question about why i have noticed a difference in two products does not constitute a reply such as yours. I have not done the research and that is why i have asked the question. No need to be rude.

Tesla Motors Club was not created for some high-level genius to answer questions that others posted.
The 'high-level genius' you speak of, is for the most part, people running to google to search for a topic after seeing a post about it, then coming back to argue a point, with certainty, that they didn't even know existed 60 seconds prior.

Tesla Motors Club was not created for some high-level genius to answer questions that others posted. It is a forum where people can ask questions and come to conclusions based on the opinions of others. A community where people can ask all the questions they want and theorize why something might be. Asking a simple question about why i have noticed a difference in two products does not constitute a reply such as yours. I have not done the research and that is why i have asked the question. No need to be rude.
Apologies. I have at times been impatient with the rumor mill here. But you're right. My response was harsh and not called for. What I would suggest is that you Google rear motor Performance model Y and you probably will be able to get part information and number. You can then check and see that that is indeed a different rear motor from what is on the performance model 3. If you multiply the roughly 16 KW by 1.33 (converts kilowatts into horsepower) and add that to the horsepower total of the model 3 you'll probably get a reasonable figure for the model Y. There's some division of opinion about whether the front motor output is also greater but I honestly don't know whether that is a truly different motor from what's in the front of the model 3. But the rear motor most certainly is different and this is a huge data point against all the wild speculation that Tesla has the model 3P throttled back and then can actually increase the horsepower when you put more passengers in the vehicle. This is the nonsense that I lose patience with.

Last edited:
. What I would suggest is that you Google rear motor Performance model Y and you probably will be able to get part information and number. You can then check and see that that is indeed a different rear motor from what is on the performance model 3.

To my knowledge, this is not true.

Teslas parts catalog (for the US anyway) is public, and shows the rear drive units are exactly the same PN.

1120980-00-J is the current one for the P on both the 3 and the Y.

1120990-00-J is the current one in non-P models of both 3 and Y.

Three notes:

The 3 catalog also lists a 970 DU, but AFAIK has never appeared in a vehicle, and hasn't had its PN revised (that letter on the end indicated revisions) in years).

The 3 made in china has been found with a 780 DU, but this does not appear in the US catalog, so it's unclear what this is (though IIRC it was a non-P it appeared in).... rumors say new DU (hairpin windings being the thinking as to difference) is coming for new US cars too but I've yet to see a PN for it in the US catalog nor anyone taking delivered of one with a different PN DU.

The 3 and Y both used only the 980 rear in both P and non-B models during initial 6-12 months of production (dates unclear when this changed) which is why only early production AWD ones can get the full P upgrade from 3rd parties- it requires the 980 DU.

Anyway that doesn't mean there's not other substantive reasons for the power difference, but "different rear motor" is not one of em.

Regarding front DU, Only the current PN is 1120960-10-H and is the same for all versions of the 3 and Y (in the US anyway)

3vsYRDU.png

Apologies. I have at times been impatient with the rumor mill here. But you're right. My response was harsh and not called for. What I would suggest is that you Google rear motor Performance model Y and you probably will be able to get part information and number. You can then check and see that that is indeed a different rear motor from what is on the performance model 3. If you multiply the roughly 16 KW by 1.33 (converts kilowatts into horsepower) and add that to the horsepower total of the model 3 you'll probably get a reasonable figure for the model Y. There's some division of opinion about whether the front motor output is also greater but I honestly don't know whether that is a truly different motor from what's in the front of the model 3. But the rear motor most certainly is different and this is a huge data point against all the wild speculation that Tesla has the model 3P throttled back and then can actually increase the horsepower when you put more passengers in the vehicle. This is the nonsense that I lose patience with.
All good, Thanks! I appreciate the insight.

To my knowledge, this is not true.

Teslas parts catalog (for the US anyway) is public, and shows the rear drive units are exactly the same PN.

1120980-00-J is the current one for the P on both the 3 and the Y.

1120990-00-J is the current one in non-P models of both 3 and Y.

Three notes:

The 3 catalog also lists a 970 DU, but AFAIK has never appeared in a vehicle, and hasn't had its PN revised (that letter on the end indicated revisions) in years).

The 3 made in china has been found with a 780 DU, but this does not appear in the US catalog, so it's unclear what this is (though IIRC it was a non-P it appeared in).... rumors say new DU (hairpin windings being the thinking as to difference) is coming for new US cars too but I've yet to see a PN for it in the US catalog nor anyone taking delivered of one with a different PN DU.

The 3 and Y both used only the 980 rear in both P and non-B models during initial 6-12 months of production (dates unclear when this changed) which is why only early production AWD ones can get the full P upgrade from 3rd parties- it requires the 980 DU.

Anyway that doesn't mean there's not other substantive reasons for the power difference, but "different rear motor" is not one of em.

Regarding front DU, Only the current PN is 1120960-10-H and is the same for all versions of the 3 and Y (in the US anyway)

View attachment 749625
I wish I could find the link because it showed actually a different serial number for the latest version of the model y performance rear motor. May have had hairpin windings as well