Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lightweight wheels model 3 performance 0-60 testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any draggy testing for light weight wheels with the M3P? If so, would you mind posting the weight of the wheels and the draggy results? Trying to see if it is worth it to spend $2k on wheels.
Save your money, it makes zero difference. I removed iirc, 48 pounds between wheels and rotors, and my car was down to the 1/100th of a second identical on a 0-60. I was able to do the same times for a little lower SOCs on the lightweight setup than the OEM setup could, but it never actually went any faster. Driving feedback was awesome though, and why I'm swapping out the new car's uberturbines for lighter setup.

Save your money, it makes zero difference. I removed iirc, 48 pounds between wheels and rotors, and my car was down to the 1/100th of a second identical on a 0-60. I was able to do the same times for a little lower SOCs on the lightweight setup than the OEM setup could, but it never actually went any faster. Driving feedback was awesome though, and why I'm swapping out the new car's uberturbines for lighter setup.
Thanks,

Interesting as why you barely saw an increase in acceleration? Maybe being software limited, as a reduction in unsprung mass should result in increased speeds.

What is your wheel/tire setup? Thanks!

Reactions: ElectricIAC
What is your wheel/tire setup? Thanks!

It was a set of Jova 18" wheels and the RB lightweight rotors. This is on the P3D-, not a long range.

PXL_20210207_190815242.jpeg

Width and weight on the wheels? Thanks! Looks like someone is using those brakes! :)
17.8 pounds on the wheels, 18x8.5 35et. That's pretty much the way those brakes stayed because they couldn't tolerate heavy use. One of the reasons, in my opinion, people should use caution if considering the brand. With those on there, I experienced significant brake fade hard braking on the street.

17.8 pounds on the wheels, 18x8.5 35et. That's pretty much the way those brakes stayed because they couldn't tolerate heavy use. One of the reasons, in my opinion, people should use caution if considering the brand. With those on there, I experienced significant brake fade hard braking on the street.
I know it's off topic. Are you saying the RB brake rotors and pads can't take the heat?

I know it's off topic. Are you saying the RB brake rotors and pads can't take the heat?

In my opinion, yes. I had the rotors turned, and after that you could see where spots of the metal had fused together (not sure what the correct term would be for that) and changed the appearance. The machinist that worked on them told me that it's common when cheap metal goes through high heat cycles.

I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that software is limiting the rate of acceleration, simply because that would be an odd choice. However, it is possible that some people are *traction* limited up to a pretty high speed out of the 0-60mph, at which point not much time is left for less mass to help, and at which point acceleration rates are lower so less mass wouldn't matter so much anyway.

Also some people have measured a tenth of improvement in 0-60 from light, forged wheels. Of course any experiment needs to carefully control for tire compound, width, and pressure to make sure traction hasn't changed.

But yeah don't expect noticeable difference in anything at all from lighter wheels on a car this heavy and powerful. There is always placebo effects with human perceptions and these things but the objective differences will be really tiny.

Biggest performance benefit to lighter wheels/brakes is lower unsprung weight for enhanced handling. Mostly only relevant to those in competitive timed track events. Even on the street the car will feel more responsive and ride will improve, but little quantifiable benefits.

For those counting their pounds, lots of weight savings(not all unsprung but most of it) through the use of MCS 2WNR and Swift springs.

Attachments

• IMG_0117 2.jpg
    IMG_0117 2.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0116 2.jpg
    IMG_0116 2.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0114-2.jpg
    IMG_0114-2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0412 2.jpg
    IMG_0412 2.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0411 2.jpg
    IMG_0411 2.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 174
I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that software is limiting the rate of acceleration, simply because that would be an odd choice. However, it is possible that some people are *traction* limited up to a pretty high speed out of the 0-60mph, at which point not much time is left for less mass to help, and at which point acceleration rates are lower so less mass wouldn't matter so much anyway.

Also some people have measured a tenth of improvement in 0-60 from light, forged wheels. Of course any experiment needs to carefully control for tire compound, width, and pressure to make sure traction hasn't changed.

But yeah don't expect noticeable difference in anything at all from lighter wheels on a car this heavy and powerful. There is always placebo effects with human perceptions and these things but the objective differences will be really tiny.
Of course it's software limited. The LR and Performance have basically the same hardware yet the Performance is faster because the LR is limited. The question is how much is software limited vs the physical limitation of the motors and wires.

Of course it's software limited. The LR and Performance have basically the same hardware yet the Performance is faster because the LR is limited. The question is how much is software limited vs the physical limitation of the motors and wires.
I am talking about the claims that limit is based on acceleration rate rather than amperage or something.
Also I believe this guy: https://www.youtube.com/c/Ingineerix has said that more recent LR cars have less power delivery electronics on the motor controllers than the performance, so no you can't just hack more power out of those, older ones you can, but motors may have been binned by their ability to take it.

Reactions: OUengineer

They switched over to the 990 motor/inverter on the LR and those can't handle as much power. The older LR had the same equipment as the Performance though.

If you know more than those of us who have been recording data on these cars for over 2 years, please feel free to prove us wrong. But, plan on spending at least $4000 to discover exactly what we have already done, because that's about what it cost me to find out.

Reactions: Pkmmte and Dave EV

Folks get the same 0-60 times on the crap all-seasons that came stock on the P3D- as when they swap much higher traction PS4s tires on- so traction does not appear to be limited since more traction doesn't improve times.

It doesn't make much sense to apply limits based on acceleration rather than amps or power.

I agree there a computer limit but I'd be surprised if it accounts for weight in the car.

Please post some data. Do you also get the same acceleration with 1-3 passangers? Do the lightweight wheels change anything there?

I also have a lightweight wheels setup. No dragy yet so I can't test but interested