Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lightweight wheels model 3 performance 0-60 testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I could find the link because it showed actually a different serial number for the latest version of the model y performance rear motor. May have had hairpin windings as well

Surely you are not suggesting that two motors aren't the same type because they have different serial numbers, are you? Do serial numbers on motors not work like serial numbers on everything else?

Stock or aftermarket wheels/tires?
2022 M3P stock wheels, everything will be stock. For added insight, i weight 190 and will have another 30ish pounds in the car from a car seat. Probably does not matter but figured i would add that in there. It will probably take me a week to do all of the testing. I figured it would be best to do 3 runs and Take the average at each state of charge?

Reactions: DustinT
2022 M3P stock wheels, everything will be stock. For added insight, i weight 190 and will have another 30ish pounds in the car from a car seat. Probably does not matter but figured i would add that in there. It will probably take me a week to do all of the testing. I figured it would be best to do 3 runs and Take the average at each state of charge?
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. I’ll be looking forward to your results.

Keep us posted. SB local here as well!

So I am also interested in another comparison: how would wheel diameter affect the accelleration?
People do compare the Y to the 3 and while Y is heavier, it also has a larger dia wheels.

And I remember seeing a video on youtube where the owner put light 3 wheels on Y and got better accelleration, but some of that effect might also have been down to smaller dia wheels giving better accelleration? Not sure how that would pan out over a 0-201 meter (1/8 mile) drag race though.

I do however rembmer the guy dragracing a S P100D Ludi and he put largr dia wheels to win drags, but I guess he ran 1/4 mile drags and I guess then the torque mighe be falling on the curve more...

So I am also interested in another comparison: how would wheel diameter affect the accelleration?
People do compare the Y to the 3 and while Y is heavier, it also has a larger dia wheels.

And I remember seeing a video on youtube where the owner put light 3 wheels on Y and got better accelleration, but some of that effect might also have been down to smaller dia wheels giving better accelleration? Not sure how that would pan out over a 0-201 meter (1/8 mile) drag race though.

I do however rembmer the guy dragracing a S P100D Ludi and he put largr dia wheels to win drags, but I guess he ran 1/4 mile drags and I guess then the torque mighe be falling on the curve more...
Did you mean tire diameter? I would expect wheel diameter only matters insofar as it affects the total wheel+tire weight.

Given the top end power limits of the Model 3 (and most EVs), for 1/4 mile (or longer) I would guess larger-than-stock diameter wheels could be overall beneficial, even if they weigh slightly more and are slower off the line. This is assuming you find a way to fit significantly taller tires. I'm doubtful that adding the 0.5"-1" of extra diameter that might fit with the stock suspension would make a meaningful (consistently measurable) difference.

Actually taller drive ratios would be a neat mod to try. Not something I personally would bother with as a mod, but if I had the option from the factory for taller drive ratios that gave me stronger highway speed acceleration, at the cost of 0-60, I would have taken it.

Did you mean tire diameter? I would expect wheel diameter only matters insofar as it affects the total wheel+tire weight.

Given the top end power limits of the Model 3 (and most EVs), for 1/4 mile (or longer) I would guess larger-than-stock diameter wheels could be overall beneficial, even if they weigh slightly more and are slower off the line. This is assuming you find a way to fit significantly taller tires. I'm doubtful that adding the 0.5"-1" of extra diameter that might fit with the stock suspension would make a meaningful (consistently measurable) difference.

Actually taller drive ratios would be a neat mod to try. Not something I personally would bother with as a mod, but if I had the option from the factory for taller drive ratios that gave me stronger highway speed acceleration, at the cost of 0-60, I would have taken it.
Oops...I made the same typo. I meant "larger-than-stock diameter tires" (not wheels).

Do you have Scan My Tesla so you can measure battery temps and voltage? You can get everything you need for about $100.
I do not have scan my tesla; do we really think it is needed? I'm not opposed to getting it. Is the assumption possibly that they upped the voltage draw? Or do we just need as much data as possible? furthermore, the test is obviously kind of skewed because it will be done over about a weeklong and temps will be different every day.

Here is my plan, Draggy comes in Tuesday. Tuesday night, and every night before I do the runs, I will charge the car to 5% above the stated charge I will be testing for the day (Takes 3% to get to work, so do 3 runs and the third should have me at the charged I am testing for the day). Each morning on the way to work, I will be setting a supercharger as the destination to try and preheat the battery, when I get there, I will turn it off. My total runs will be 90%, 80%, 70%, 60%, 50%, 40%, 30%, 20%, and 10%. All of the runs will be done same time every morning as well.

For the runs, I will do 3 total and take the best of those and put them into a spread sheet to upload after. I will also screen shot the best run for each grouped SoC to post as well. Is there any other variables I can account for? Or maybe change something a little? Thanks. I was thinking to upload everyday but figured all the data at once would be better?

I do not have scan my tesla; do we really think it is needed? I'm not opposed to getting it. Is the assumption possibly that they upped the voltage draw? Or do we just need as much data as possible? furthermore, the test is obviously kind of skewed because it will be done over about a weeklong and temps will be different every day.

To me it seems from reading this thread that if you don't have near identical quiescent battery voltage, battery temp and external temp readings right before each of your runs comparing with extra weight and without then one side or the other will complain that your test is invalid because the battery was in a different state of readiness for some runs than others.

To me it seems from reading this thread that if you don't have near identical quiescent battery voltage, battery temp and external temp readings right before each of your runs comparing with extra weight and without then one side or the other will complain that your test is invalid because the battery was in a different state of readiness for some runs than others.
The only problem i see is that even if we plot this data (Battery voltage & temp & whatever else we think is valuable) will not change the fact that they will be different with each day. Trying to get as close as possible is the best option i see? The 3 runs should up temp i would assume?

I'll also add that this is not really a valid test. If Tesla does limit acceleration than means that reducing weight will not make the car accelerate faster after some acceleration limit is hit which is the same as saying the car won't accelerate faster after some weight threshold is hit because lowering weight increases acceleration all things being equal. But that's not the same thing as saying that adding weight will have no effect. It really depends on where that theoretical weight threshold is and the car's tested weight relative to it.

For example, let's say the theoretical acceleration limit has an equivalent weight threshold of 4,500 pounds. (And let's ignore the differences that location/distribution of the weight creates.) What I mean by this is that at that weight if the acceleration limit were removed the car would sill accelerate at the same rate to 60 MPH as if the rate limit were there. If there were no limit then lower than that weight would be faster to 60 and greater than that weight would be slower. But if you go over 4,500 pounds the car will still accelerate slower regardless of whether there is a acceleration limit or not! Since we don't know where that equivalent weight limit is your test may be invalid because when you add weight you may go over it.

In other words to really test this you need to reduce weight not add weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: gearchruncher
I'll also add that this is not really a valid test. If Tesla does limit acceleration than means that reducing weight will not make the car accelerate faster after some acceleration limit is hit which is the same as saying the car won't accelerate faster after some weight threshold is hit because lowering weight increases acceleration all things being equal. But that's not the same thing as saying that adding weight will have no effect. It really depends on where that theoretical weight threshold is and the car's tested weight relative to it.

For example, let's say the theoretical acceleration limit has an equivalent weight threshold of 4,500 pounds. (And let's ignore the differences that location/distribution of the weight creates.) What I mean by this is that at that weight if the acceleration limit were removed the car would sill accelerate at the same rate to 60 MPH as if the rate limit were there. If there were no limit then lower than that weight would be faster to 60 and greater than that weight would be slower. But if you go over 4,500 pounds the car will still accelerate slower regardless of whether there is a acceleration limit or not! Since we don't know where that equivalent weight limit is your test may be invalid because when you add weight you may go over it.

I guess this is not the thread that maybe it should be posted in, although it will be. The test that's going to happen just sprung out of curiosity. I am neither going to reduce weight or add weight. Just seeing with the new 22 M3P if acceleration has stayed the same or improved in some fashion, either SoC or temperature. I see what you mean though.

Reactions: CarlThompson

I know it's truly not a valid test, but we will be able to draw some form a conclusion from these tests.

Reactions: CarlThompson