Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limiting output at ~60% charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting a limited power line when you push the accelerator hard is normal. It can happen at almost any state of charge. It should disappear the moment when you let got of the accelerator.
If it stays at a high state of charge, that's a whole different issue. That's definitely not normal. In my 2014 85 it starts to show up when I go below 16%. If the battery is warm and I have been driving more careful it won't show up until I hit 11% SoC.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
This has happened a few times recently, but my 2014 S60 has been limiting the power output even when I have plenty of battery left, and I don't understand why. I know the car will automatically limit power output under certain circumstances (low charge to preserve range, extreme temperatures to minimize degradation, etc), but as you can see in the pics I had almost 60% charge and it was 70 degrees outside.

What other scenarios would the car limit its output? Is it possibly related to the health of the battery? Are there any good third-party battery diagnostics apps/tools that I can use? What's going on here?
Did you recently do a WOT or ~-75-80% throttle push. If I remember correctly, mine limiter stays in that same spot a bit afterwards with a low SOC & a harder throttle push.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Yeah it was a nice day outside that day, so around 70. I think I was driving home from lunch or something and the car had been outside for a while.
I'd check your front vents, whether they open/close properly. They usually open and then close as soon as you plug in to the charge port. If they don't open, then you could be having an issue with overheating the battery.

For what it's worth I called and Tesla is looking into my car. They did not seem to think that the active louvers were the cause but they are still digging.
Just curious, don't see a response to this one: Did you recently do a WOT or ~-75-80% throttle push. If I remember correctly, mine limiter stays in that same spot a bit afterwards with a low SOC & a harder throttle push.

And by low soc, it seems like around 60% is my magic number too where it starts limiting power. I drove about 70 miles straight yesterday and once it hit 60%, it limits -- the line appears when I push the throttle close to WOT or WOT and sometimes stays there for a bit. So I'm not sure battery temperature is my cause. I guess I always just assumed with a reduce state of charge (at or below 60%) - I should get less power? Maybe this is a wrong assumption though? Again, I bought the car used -- so there hasn't been any change since my purchase of it.

Last edited:
This has happened a few times recently, but my 2014 S60 has been limiting the power output even when I have plenty of battery left, and I don't understand why. I know the car will automatically limit power output under certain circumstances (low charge to preserve range, extreme temperatures to minimize degradation, etc), but as you can see in the pics I had almost 60% charge and it was 70 degrees outside.

What other scenarios would the car limit its output? Is it possibly related to the health of the battery? Are there any good third-party battery diagnostics apps/tools that I can use? What's going on here?
You are all missing the true cause...

Your Tesla is strongly anti-AI (as discussed many times by Elon) and was concerned that full acceleration will take away from the power available for Yoshimi to Battle the Pink Robots.

Just curious, don't see a response to this one: Did you recently do a WOT or ~-75-80% throttle push. If I remember correctly, mine limiter stays in that same spot a bit afterwards with a low SOC & a harder throttle push.

And by low soc, it seems like around 60% is my magic number too where it starts limiting power. I drove about 70 miles straight yesterday and once it hit 60%, it limits -- the line appears when I push the throttle close to WOT or WOT and sometimes stays there for a bit. So I'm not sure battery temperature is my cause. I guess I always just assumed with a reduce state of charge (at or below 60%) - I should get less power? Maybe this is a wrong assumption though? Again, I bought the car used -- so there hasn't been any change since my purchase of it.
So the first time it happened around 40% SOC and it took a decent throttle push to get the limiter to come up and it would go away after 15-20 seconds. This second occurrence happened at around 50% SOC and was not affected by throttle position... In fact I was on the way home from dinner with the family and our baby in the car so driving quite gingerly. It stayed in place the entire trip home which was about 35 min. No regen limitation and not particularly cold or hot, around 70 outside.

My 2013 P85 doesn't do this unless I'm really low on charge, like 15%-20%.

Back in 2013 or 2014, Tesla performed proactive replacement of all my coolant pumps. This was a service bulletin, apparently. Do you know if your coolant pumps were replaced as part of this program? The issue you are experiencing is likely related to your pack not cooling properly. My suspicion is the coolant pumps or the louvers.

Back in 2013 or 2014, Tesla performed proactive replacement of all my coolant pumps. This was a service bulletin, apparently. Do you know if your coolant pumps were replaced as part of this program? The issue you are experiencing is likely related to your pack not cooling properly. My suspicion is the coolant pumps or the louvers.
I have all of the service invoices and just checked them. Coolant pumps were not replaced. Do you by chance have that service bulletin? I tried finding it on google with no luck. Next time I go in for service, I will mention this concern.

I have all of the service invoices and just checked them. Coolant pumps were not replaced. Do you by chance have that service bulletin? Next time I go in for service, I will mention this concern.
I don't, sorry, but here is a link to a thread on TMC regarding this issue:

Cooling pumps B now C

I also received a proactive battery contactor replacement as well, which eliminated squealing noise at high acceleration/output. Your service center should be able to pull up all the service bulletins that apply to your VIN#.

Cooling pumps B now C

I also received a proactive battery contactor replacement as well, which eliminated squealing noise at high acceleration/output. Your service center should be able to pull up all the service bulletins that apply to your VIN#.
I did get the contractor replacement done. It's funny originally I was told that noise was normal and never complained after that, but after it was replaced, man did my power increase. Thanks again, I'm going to try and get some screenshots of my own and data, now that I know this isn't "normal".

Cooling pumps B now C

I may bring this up along with the limited output as I have a fairly pronounced squeal when accelerating quickly or at full throttle.

So just be to completely clear (in my mind), does yours ever restrict output when it is at 60%. For example, today I drove it from a SOC of 60% to 50% with and outside temp of 60F outside. My state of charge for each acceleration (I did about 6), except one, was restricted. The bar today went away very quickly though.

It does seem odd to me that Tesla would recommend charging to 80% and then you get restricted output anywhere below 60%. Gives you a 20% "sweet spot" for driving and getting good acceleration.

Just checking in -- any updates on this?

I'm having this exact problem with my 2014 ms60 right now and they don't know how to fix it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy