Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of all June 20th announcement hints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they're not in fact messing with the file name, could they plan to have ranger teams from service centers do field battery swaps on totally "empty" Model S's, perhaps using specially-modified flatbeds? That would obviate the need to take the cars somewhere to charge for hours, avoid tying up supercharger bays, and fairly quickly get the owners on their way. The owners could return to the service centers after their trip and swap back for their original batteries. Difficult? IDK. Impossible? Nah.
Battery swap coupled with ranger service for "where you are" swapping is an interesting idea.

Confirmation of Battery Swapping

battswap-hero_732_448.png

Link from Tesla Motors, apparently sent to invite people to the June 20th announcement.
I know that all signs have pointed to a battery swap but this is from the Tesla Motors website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried to go to that link and i got this:

Did you click on it, or copy-paste it?

The real link is longer (I'm trying again here):
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/battswap-hero_732_448.png

However, the TMC forum truncates the link description each time.

The part of the link after teslamotors.com is:
/sites/default/files/battswap-hero_732_448.png

[Edit: Didn't help - it still truncates the display in this post as well. But a click-through should work.]

[The part of the link after teslamotors.com is:
/sites/default/files/battswap-hero_732_448.png

[Edit: Didn't help - it still truncates the display in this post as well. But a click-through should work.][/QUOTE]

OK That worked. So you got an email with that image/link in it? Thats it?

My brother has a Model S but he didnt get the invite.

Battery swap coupled with ranger service for "where you are" swapping is an interesting idea.

The "hero" part kind of makes sense too. You're out of juice, rangers-to-the-rescue get your MS into position on their flatbed using detents to properly align with swapping robotics and, less than 10 minutes later, you have a full battery. They knew which size battery to bring from your VIN. When you return to service center, your original battery is charged and waiting. Fee? At least $100 like a routine call, but probably more. Still a good deal considering you were sitting on the highway needing a flatbed anyway.

The "hero" part kind of makes sense too. You're out of juice, rangers-to-the-rescue get your MS into position on their flatbed using detents to properly align with swapping robotics and, less than 10 minutes later, you have a full battery. They knew which size battery to bring from your VIN. When you return to service center, your original battery is charged and waiting. Fee? At least $100 like a routine call, but probably more. Still a good deal considering you were sitting on the highway needing a flatbed anyway.

This won't be the announcement. The last thing Tesla would want to do is draw attention to EVs getting stuck on the side of the road. Tends to make it difficult to sell cars.

Does anybody remember when it was when Elon was asked about the 5th announcement and he replied saying that he had to keep a couple cards in his vest? I need to know when this was (I think it was at a previous announcement conference call but can't remember which one).

Does anybody remember when it was when Elon was asked about the 5th announcement and he replied saying that he had to keep a couple cards in his vest? I need to know when this was (I think it was at a previous announcement conference call but can't remember which one).

I think it was AllThingsD, but not very certain on that one...

Fee? At least $100 like a routine call, but probably more. Still a good deal considering you were sitting on the highway needing a flatbed anyway.
Sorry, I was incomplete in my notation. What made this interesting for me is coupling it with the anywhere plan where there are no per-use ranger fees.

- - - Updated - - -

I lean toward AllThingsD since it's one of the relatively few (lately at least) that I haven't transcribed.
http://allthingsd.com/video/?s=D11+Musk

"Hero" is a web design term to describe a visible banner or graphic - more specifically, the "first thing to grab your eye" on a web page. Hero graphic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can remember more of the quote or some of the content of the before/after paragraphs of discussion that might help. Also was it in a response to an interview question and/or audience Q&A, or part of a speech?

If you can remember more of the quote or some of the content of the before/after paragraphs of discussion that might help. Also was it in a response to an interview question and/or audience Q&A, or part of a speech?

From my memory it was an answer to a question (I thought it was a conference call) where someone asked him about the 5th announcement and he replied that he had to keep a "couple cards in his vest". I thought it was the Supercharger announcement conference call but didn't see that question in the transcript notes. Maybe it was the loan repayment conference call?

I just re-listened to the 5/31/13 cnbc interview and it's not there.