Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of all June 20th announcement hints

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“Hero” ….Could be that SC locations have to sell Hoagie’s (people on the west coast don’t know what a sub sandwich is called) unless you have ranger service, then you get free delivery! Seriously, I don’t expect that Elon will have a game changing announcement….but I hope so.

deonb, can you add this to the original post along with the other hints?

12 months ago... 2012 Shareholder Meeting | Tesla Motors, 41:50 mark:
Q: I think last year you mentioned how there was a swap-out of the battery with the Model S and that could be done, I've been telling people, in under a minute potentially. So could comment about that and whether that looks like something that still has potential and when that might happen?
A: (Elon) In terms of the Model S, I intentionally architected the Model S to have a battery pack in the floor pan that can be swapped out in under a minute. I think we're going to show something interesting in that regard. (Elon smiles, audience chuckles.) I've got to keep a few cards in the vest. But I think there will be something exciting to see in that regard.

Also, Elon Musk recently (in past month but I can't recall which interview/call) was asked to divulge more details about the 5th announcement and Elon Musk replied saying that he can't share the details about the 5th announcement because he needs to keep a couple "cards in his vest". This is the same language as the June 2012 shareholder meeting answer he gave.

The hero is gone!

Tesla just updated the web site.

After that, the battswap-hero file is missing:
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/battswap-hero_732_448.png

Does anybody still have the June 20th invitation email (without cached images)? What happens now when you open it?

This is starting to look like Tesla is trying to back away from an accidental leak, rather than it having been a deliberate distraction initially.

The hero is gone!

Tesla just updated the web site.

After that, the battswap-hero file is missing:
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/battswap-hero_732_448.png

Does anybody still have the June 20th invitation email (without cached images)? What happens now when you open it?

This is starting to look like Tesla is trying to back away from an accidental leak, rather than it having been a deliberate distraction initially.

I just refreshed/cleared cache and it's just showing a blank spot (image not found) in the email. Nothing exciting about that... Hmmmmmmm.....

If they're not in fact messing with the file name, could they plan to have ranger teams from service centers do field battery swaps on totally "empty" Model S's, perhaps using specially-modified flatbeds? That would obviate the need to take the cars somewhere to charge for hours, avoid tying up supercharger bays, and fairly quickly get the owners on their way. The owners could return to the service centers after their trip and swap back for their original batteries. Difficult? IDK. Impossible? Nah.

may be they use the trucks similar to pods truck mounting robot to lift the car to swap the battery.
PODS%2021508-104_full.jpe

The odd shape of the Frunk still gives me hope that Tesla will be leaving the main pack alone and any swapping will be some form of additional pack in the Frunk. I`m hoping for something with Super Capacitors. And maybe crash testing has already been done with a large load in the frunk as part of the original development of thr S

The odd shape of the Frunk still gives me hope that Tesla will be leaving the main pack alone and any swapping will be some form of additional pack in the Frunk. I`m hoping for something with Super Capacitors. And maybe crash testing has already been done with a large load in the frunk as part of the original development of thr S

The load that goes there is the front motor for 4WD. I'm >95% certain of that.

I hope (probably in vain) that the Frunk Range Extender will be capacitor-based. But batteries are more likely. However, a battery pack is difficult to reconcile with the 2 minute timespan. Installing a fully charged battery sounds hazardous to the installation technicians. I guess the pack would have several isolators

It's not. The wording in the Reuters interview is quite clear. E.g. it is a drive-through pack swap - you don't get out of your car.

For Frunk batteries, you'll need to get out of your car.

I really don't know where the "a new battery in the frunk" idea became "battery swapping" to some people. Replacing "air" with an enclosed energy storage device is not what I would call "swapping". I would call it "filling" or somesuch.

Also, I'm almost willing to give 1000:1 odds at this point that "putting an energy device" in the frunk is NOT the demo.

Do we know if the system is completely automated or if it relies on technicians? The Oompa Loompa option would imply you could remain seated for either a Frunk-swap or a main-swap.

We don't know, yet. My guess would be a completely automated system, similar a automated car wash but much better.

Here is one way it could work (note: this probably isn't totally logical! :tongue:):
- A Model S pulls into the swapping bay and HD cameras, similar to what puts the roof on in the Factory, "scan" the bottom of the car to make sure everything is OK.
- If everything is OK then an automated rig undoes the bolts on the edges of the pack and attaches to it. The pack is pulled out and then put aside.
- A different pack (possibly via a different robot) is put back into the Model S and resecured. The HD cameras then make sure everything is aligned properly and tells the driver that they can pull out of the swap bay.

This could be completed fairly quickly depending on how the pack wired so the motor (inverter?) can draw energy from the pack. (I really haven't read up or seen anything showing how the pack is wired, I would think it would be fairly simple since Model S appears to have been designed for possible swapping from the get-go).

I wonder why they're showing this now? There are barely any superchargers and swapping seems to be more of a logistical headache.

I had this thought as well. Swapping stations are inherently more complex (and costly) than Supercharger stations. Plus, where do the "old" batteries go? Does the station just store them or does it recharge them and then use them on the next car that pulls in?

Elon (and Tesla) had said they want to cover 98% of the U.S. population via Supercharging by 2015. If that is still the case, why would they embark on swapping batteries as well? Do they plan to do similar or even identical coverage (compared to Superchargers) with swapping stations?

Of course, just as Supercharging is "baked" into the cost of each Model S, maybe swapping station access is optional (similar to Supercharging for the 60kWh cars) and can be bought a standalone option or a "supercharge-and-swap" package that includes access to Supercharging and battery swapping. That being said, is there a limit the usage of the swapping stations? Maybe they will charge a fee per use unless you buy the option or package. Hum... :confused:

Hopefully Tesla will have some Q&A up tomorrow.

Last edited: