Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Available Wheel Replacements for Yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to figure out what made driving the Tesla so frustrating, and I realized that I’ve never driven a car that required diverting more driver attention for simple operations (and operations that have always been trivial to do without requiring users to divert their visual or audio senses, at that):
  • Steering: make sure you don’t grab part of the wheel that is no longer there.
  • Blinkers: look down to find the button (you can try to free around using the nub, but make sure you don’t set them off by doing so). Look down again or try to listen to make sure it actually turned on. Then look down or listen again to make sure it turned off properly. All my other cars let me do everything by feel and use by vision and hearing for driving.
  • Horn: look down to find and use it (at the worst possible time to divert your attention, too).
  • Shifting: look down to find and use the sliding area on the touchscreen
I guess I could probably add the rest of the hvac and driving controls to this list since they’re all buried in the touchscreen menus, too…but I can live with those more than the primary driving controls constantly requiring me to always divert my attention. At least I fixed the steering issue and can spend those brain cycles enjoying the drive (until I need to set the next turn signal).
OMG SO SO TRUE PERFECTLY STATED

Many 2022 Tesla Model S / Model X owners do not prefer the plaid U Shaped YOKE steering wheel, and we are offering this as a great solution. Tesery YOKE D-Rounded Steering Wheel is the best you can buy. The upgraded D-Rounded Steering Wheel features a welded steel top, along with the best gauge cluster visibility, and the highest quality leather and carbon fiber.

If you want to custome other style you want, choose from TESERY

Custom Tesla Steering Wheel
  • Installation: Plug & Install
  • Core fee required: N/A
  • Includes heater functionality: Yes

1667459021961.png
1667459030059.png
1667459035982.png
1667459044854.png
1667459052593.png
1667459059483.png
1667459066076.png
1667459274875.png

I bought an unleashed customs steering wheel and just installed it. Did a quick drive with it and so glad to have a regular wheel. I had the yoke for about 5k miles and could tolerate it but did not like it. Here's the finished install:

View attachment 847304

I went with all leather - perforated on the sides, non-perforated everywhere else. Since I have the wood interior I didn't think carbon fiber would match (and I thought it might be a little less grippy than leather); and no center stripe (no use for me). Feels great and good quality overall. A few minor quibbles -

1. The backside of the wheel is not wrapped in anything. I guess in all the photos of wheels on their instagram I didn't really pay attention to it, but unlike the yoke, they don't wrap the portion of the wheel behind the front panel. If you look at it it does in my opinion look a little cheap (textured plastic) although it is relatively soft touch. Probably wouldn't ever really notice it in the car since it's on the backside of the wheel and you don't really see it looking straight on at the wheel, and at least I don't usually touch that area of the wheel when driving.

2. On the side (please see image where I've circled it in red) - the panel with the buttons and airbag isn't completely flush. It's like that on both sides. Just a very tiny sliver of a gap. Probably not noticeable when installed - definitely not noticeable at 11pm when I went for my quick test drive after finishing the install. Doesn't bother me and not sure if every wheel they make is like that.

3. Heating element - TBD, there were no instructions, I reached out to them and they will send me a wiring diagram but there are just 4 thin wires (they feel like cloth/thread, I've never seen wires like this before in my extremely limited experience). I'm guessing I'm going to have to splice into some wires. I wrongly assumed it would be plug and play, sigh. For now I just taped them off on the side.

View attachment 847289

Below some photos for comparison of the size/shape vs. the yoke, tried to line up the center hole on the second image so you can see the shape comparison. The bottom half of the wheel kind of looks tiny in comparison to the yoke.

View attachment 847266View attachment 847282

Here are the two sets of wires for the heating element that I am awaiting further instructions on how to connect:

View attachment 847283

I found a YouTube video on how to remove the panel with the scroll wheels, it's not too hard but was a little worried I'd do damage. I went with trim tools to open a gap, and then a screwdriver to pry the trim out. Some images that hopefully will help anyone looking to do this:

Pry out one side with trim tools:
View attachment 847287

Pull out by hand a little more with help of a screwdriver to get leverage underneath it:
View attachment 847288

Repeat above on the other side.

Then for the bottom - just take a trim tool and slide it in between the trim and the wheel from one side, twist gently to get some leverage to pop it out:
View attachment 847291

What backside of the trim piece looks like removed, circled the posts / pins that pop into holes in the wheel:
View attachment 847303
Does the wheel work with Autopilot?

Was the other wheel you ordered from Unleashed?

Not going to call them out but I’m sure most can tell by looking at the shape of it.
——————

I end up waited and swap the red stitching with the black stitching to match my black/carbon interior. Secret-EV are kind enough to swap for me for free ( except I’m reasonable for the return shipping)

This is a night and day difference. Yes, the top portion is larger and a bit off axis, but it’s nothing awkward at all. This basically feels the same as pre-fresh S steering wheel. The top portion locate right above the upper dash trim and the bottom edge of the windshield. No view were blocked.

I can now rest my hand on top and drive just like the other Model Y I had.

Can’t be more happy with the result!

86132865-D5BA-4FF1-BA3C-481F9514F75B.jpeg

——

Here’s the “Chinese made” version I receive while ago, not only they are heavy af…you can see the left and right are uneven. Also, the extra bulge on the bottom makes your palm very uncomfortable when you rest on it. I think they just make it look cool without actually feel it with their hand lol

DC69E3D5-0F96-4F08-89D9-5C21CA4954D6.jpeg

Reactions: TessP100D
Torn between the Hansshow, PimpMyEV, and Secret-EV wheels. If you folks can post updates now that you’ve had them for a few months, that would be greatly appreciated. I just watched a pretty disappointing video regarding several Hansshow products falling apart after a few months, though their round wheel was not one of those products. Hansshow had been my first choice until I saw that video and subsequently found this thread while searching for other options.

FYI, this is hot off the press, so you might want to also put this on your radar:

That said, I'm enjoying the Hansshow wheel. I've especially enjoyed the retained heating capability recently (even though it just heats the sides). If there's something I don't like, it might be that the rim is a bit too thick for me--at least for a big GT car like this. Other than that, it's pretty comfortable and really helps to improve the interaction and engagement with the car. I've put several thousand miles on the car in the last few months, and so far I've not seen any wear issues on the wheel, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on that and report back if/when I do. Curious if the material lasts longer than the yoke material (as there are quite a few reports of that stuff falling apart, too)?

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

• Informative
Reactions: scrapps
Thanks brother. I happened to email Secret-EV this evening with a question about his wheel and to my pleasant surprise he emailed back immediately and informed me of the factory option now available from Tesla, albeit with a delay until March. He’s offering some generous discounts to anyone who can’t wait until March and it sounds like he may even be able to modify the new factory option with different leather and carbon fiber. I’m torn on waiting until March (assuming Tesla actually meets that timeline…) or getting one of his for essentially the same price now. But glad Tesla has finally listened to the market and is now making this an option across the board.

Appreciate the additional feedback on your wheel. My main question for all of these wheels is basically how are they holding up to daily use. Sounds like so far, so good for you.

Reactions: Murtaya
Thanks brother. I happened to email Secret-EV this evening with a question about his wheel and to my pleasant surprise he emailed back immediately and informed me of the factory option now available from Tesla, albeit with a delay until March. He’s offering some generous discounts to anyone who can’t wait until March and it sounds like he may even be able to modify the new factory option with different leather and carbon fiber. I’m torn on waiting until March (assuming Tesla actually meets that timeline…) or getting one of his for essentially the same price now. But glad Tesla has finally listened to the market and is now making this an option across the board.

Appreciate the additional feedback on your wheel. My main question for all of these wheels is basically how are they holding up to daily use. Sounds like so far, so good for you.
I like the SecretEV wheel better than the new OEM wheel. However, you lose the heated function when you go with SecretEV, and while I live in FL and don't need it, I don't like losing features of my car. If it were substantially cheaper than the OEM, I would entertain it.

I'm curious to see if the Tesla wheel heats the entire rim (do the 3/Y heat the entire wheel?), and if it's the same width and thickness as the Model 3/Y's wheels (I personally liked the dimensions of those wheels).