Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Available Wheel Replacements for Yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The goal of this page is to detail the available wheel replacements for the yoke currently offered in Model S and Model S vehicles. This was not created as a place to debate people's opinions on the subject, but only as a resource for people looking to find more information on possible yoke alternatives (whether for personal preference, safety concerns, performance driving, old habits, etc.).

Possible issues with converting to a wheel (unverified):
- Pivot offset: Except for the direct Model 3 wheel replacement, because of the default location of the pivot in the yoke, the wheel replacements will most likely have offset rotation. Note where the pivot hole is in the images below--it's in the center of the yoke portion, not in the center of the wheels.
- Airbag compatibility: Many of these reuse the yoke's airbag. It seems like the airbag is expected to still work, and the angle/location/trajectory of the airbag should still be the same (but as with any wheel conversion, this might be a concern for some).
Known wheel options:

TSportline:

Tesla Model S Yoke Steering Wheels (June 2021 - Present)

Installation: Remove and reuse airbag of yoke.
Core fee required: Yes
Includes heater functionality: No
Options:
  • Wheel Material (Leather, CF, Wood)
  • Side Material (Black, Alcantara)
1653279495797.png

Hannshow:

2021+ Model X/S Round Steering Wheel

Installation: Remove and reuse airbag and entire center of yoke.
Includes heater functionality: Optional
Options:
  • Material (Leather, CF, Alcantara)
  • Carbon Finish (Shiny, Matte)
  • Heated Function
  • Steering Strip Color
1653279331683.png

RPM:

2021+ | Model S & X Leather Yoke D-Round Steering Wheel

Installation: Remove and reuse airbag.

1653279227111.png

SecretEV:

Tesla Plaid Circular Steering Wheel Conversion (PRE-ORDER)

Installation: Remove and reuse airbag and entire center of yoke.
Core fee required: No
Includes heater functionality: Unknown?
Options:
  • Material (Leather, Custom)
1653279798347.png

Tesla Plaid Round Steering Wheel:

Tesla Plaid Round Steering Wheel | eBay

Installation: Remove and reuse yoke trim.
Core fee required: Unknown
Includes heater functionality: Unknown
Related TMC threads:

1653279849304.png

Exclusive:

Tesla Model S & Model X Custom Steering Wheels For Sale | Exclusive Steering

Installation: Remove and reuse airbag and entire center of yoke. (?)
Core fee required: Unknown
Options:
  • Shape (Flat Bottom, Flat Top, 3-Piece, Lux, Round)
  • LED Display, LCD Screen
  • Material (CF, Smooth Leather, Perf Leather, Alcantara, Painted, Wood)
  • Material Finish (Matte, Gloss)
  • Carbon Fiber Types
  • Grip Material (Smooth Leather, Perf Leather, Alcantara)
  • Grip Material Colors
  • Stitching Style (Single Color, Tri Color)
  • Stitching Colors
  • Ergonimic Grooves
  • Thickness (OEM, Thick)
  • Heated
  • Custom Logo
  • Custom Designs

1653279965270.png

Unleashed Customs LLC:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca6Q6NYLmUA/

Installation: Remove and reuse airbag. (?)
Includes heater functionality: Yes
Options:
  • Heated functionality
1653280407834.png

Yoke Completer:

Tesla 2022 Yoke Completer — Aftershock Garage Tesla & EV Services

Installation: Just attaches to existing yoke
Includes heater functionality: N/A
Options:
  • Material/Finish (CF, Acrylic, Wood)
1653280555341.png

Model 3 Wheel Conversion:

Installation: Full replacement of Model 3 wheel and column; custom adaption of system signals (or, possibly switching system to use "Round" setting instead of "Yoke" <- unverified??)
Core fee required: N/A
Includes heater functionality: Yes
Possible Features:
  • Use of Model 3 stalks (blinkers, drive mode, lights, etc.)
  • Custom use of controls (like repurposing for suspension operation, etc.)
  • Traditional center horn
Related TMC threads:
1653280790615.png

*I have assembled these from personal investigations. I do not vouch for any of these sellers or products, but I'd be happy to hear from people who have installed any of these.

**Let me know if you have any corrections on the data; I want this to be as accurate and useful as possible.

***For now, I'm not posting the prices since they're subject to change, and they should be easily found on each wheel's page. I also don't want this to be and advertisement nor am I a vendor.

Has anyone tried the Exclusive wheel? I am wanting to swap to a wheel and that’s the only one Ive found that has a wood grain option instead of carbon fiber. I’m thinking wood grain too and bottom to match the wood grain in the car, heated and blue stitching to match the exterior color. Hoping someone has tried them before I take the leap.

Aside from the Model 3's, are any of these wheels concentric? i.e. the outer circle of the wheel shares the same center as the steering column? In all the videos I've seen, these replacement wheels wobble when turned because the column is offset downward.

Thanks. I'm using my Plaid for motorsport and drifting, where a normal, non-wobbly wheel is required.

I was pretty worried about that—some of the wheels I looked through had obvious offsets from looking at their videos. I only have tangible experience with the Hansshow wheel, and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t notice t obvious offset on it—I actually had to look and line up the wheel before I could notice the non-centered rotation since I couldn’t really feel it.

The fact that I have carbon and leather sections might help, because the feeling between them is different? Maybe it would be more noticeable if I had consistent material all around the wheel?

Here's a video of the Hansshow wheel rotating. But again (and at least to me), it looks like much more egregious than it feels.

Attachments

• 1660780877952.png
    1660780877952.png
    889.7 KB · Views: 162
  • 1660780895553.png
    1660780895553.png
    831.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I was pretty worried about that—some of the wheels I looked through had obvious offsets from looking at their videos. I only have tangible experience with the Hansshow wheel, and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t notice t obvious offset on it—I actually had to look and line up the wheel before I could notice the non-centered rotation since I couldn’t really feel it.

The fact that I have carbon and leather sections might help, because the feeling between them is different? Maybe it would be more noticeable if I had consistent material all around the wheel?

Here's a video of the Hansshow wheel rotating. But again (and at least to me), it looks like much more egregious than it feels.
Do you like your wheel? Does it wobble? How is the size? What is the experience?

I bought an unleashed customs steering wheel and just installed it. Did a quick drive with it and so glad to have a regular wheel. I had the yoke for about 5k miles and could tolerate it but did not like it. Here's the finished install:

55B92253-04C9-430E-A027-7CCC0878802C.jpeg

I went with all leather - perforated on the sides, non-perforated everywhere else. Since I have the wood interior I didn't think carbon fiber would match (and I thought it might be a little less grippy than leather); and no center stripe (no use for me). Feels great and good quality overall. A few minor quibbles -

1. The backside of the wheel is not wrapped in anything. I guess in all the photos of wheels on their instagram I didn't really pay attention to it, but unlike the yoke, they don't wrap the portion of the wheel behind the front panel. If you look at it it does in my opinion look a little cheap (textured plastic) although it is relatively soft touch. Probably wouldn't ever really notice it in the car since it's on the backside of the wheel and you don't really see it looking straight on at the wheel, and at least I don't usually touch that area of the wheel when driving.

2. On the side (please see image where I've circled it in red) - the panel with the buttons and airbag isn't completely flush. It's like that on both sides. Just a very tiny sliver of a gap. Probably not noticeable when installed - definitely not noticeable at 11pm when I went for my quick test drive after finishing the install. Doesn't bother me and not sure if every wheel they make is like that.

3. Heating element - TBD, there were no instructions, I reached out to them and they will send me a wiring diagram but there are just 4 thin wires (they feel like cloth/thread, I've never seen wires like this before in my extremely limited experience). I'm guessing I'm going to have to splice into some wires. I wrongly assumed it would be plug and play, sigh. For now I just taped them off on the side.

1F3420F1-0CE8-4D48-BA3B-210210808AB3.jpeg

Below some photos for comparison of the size/shape vs. the yoke, tried to line up the center hole on the second image so you can see the shape comparison. The bottom half of the wheel kind of looks tiny in comparison to the yoke.

02C51306-5C4A-40BC-A83D-9F5681C64303.jpeg7CD0BB62-4EFC-48FE-A112-EE1A8F62C502.jpeg

Here are the two sets of wires for the heating element that I am awaiting further instructions on how to connect:

646C9C03-EC8A-482C-9EEF-2C09BD5CC142.jpeg

I found a YouTube video on how to remove the panel with the scroll wheels, it's not too hard but was a little worried I'd do damage. I went with trim tools to open a gap, and then a screwdriver to pry the trim out. Some images that hopefully will help anyone looking to do this:

Pry out one side with trim tools:
C83936E2-FC78-4F6A-B4E3-BD8819D9FFB5.jpeg

Pull out by hand a little more with help of a screwdriver to get leverage underneath it:
898DA735-29B8-42FD-95F4-144727E91485.jpeg

Repeat above on the other side.

Then for the bottom - just take a trim tool and slide it in between the trim and the wheel from one side, twist gently to get some leverage to pop it out:
7A837BF7-DA8A-490B-B3C4-706A1EC4F13A.jpeg

What backside of the trim piece looks like removed, circled the posts / pins that pop into holes in the wheel:
8A78EEE7-FFCC-41CA-9BA0-233BF8C0EA53.jpeg

Attachments

• CE034C80-41E0-4F87-A12B-C0C01976BAFB.jpeg
    CE034C80-41E0-4F87-A12B-C0C01976BAFB.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Helpful
Reactions: strider and beatle
This is a great post! Thank you!
Can you please elaborate on this part below? What exactly isnt wrapped?

1. The backside of the wheel is not wrapped in anything. I guess in all the photos of wheels on their instagram I didn't really pay attention to it, but unlike the yoke, they don't wrap the portion of the wheel behind the front panel.

This is a great post! Thank you!
Can you please elaborate on this part below? What exactly isnt wrapped?

1. The backside of the wheel is not wrapped in anything. I guess in all the photos of wheels on their instagram I didn't really pay attention to it, but unlike the yoke, they don't wrap the portion of the wheel behind the front panel.
I've gotten so much help from the info on this forum, happy to be able to contribute!

Sorry for my poor description, attached are a couple more photos where I've roughly outlined the backside section that isn't wrapped. The entire rim itself is fully wrapped and very nice. It's just this I guess "cover" behind the T-shape panel with the scroll buttons and airbag. Happy to snap some more photos if it would help.

First photo from the right side (the hole is where you poke an Allen wrench in to pop free the airbag):

CDFA5356-B018-4B71-8A67-CFB464AB88D1.jpeg

View from above (to the right is the instrument cluster for reference). It's a textured semi-soft plastic.
84000536-33E8-4DE1-BDF5-962513651721.jpeg

Great writeup. How is visibility of the cluster with the wheel?
Thanks! The way I have it positioned it definitely cuts off a little of the top - like the speed limit sign in the cluster is about half cut off. I can live with that though as it's just like any other car I've driven in the past with a regular steering wheel and I feel way more comfortable making turns. It is a little bit of a shock and I will say a benefit of the yoke that the cluster was completely unobstructed when driving relatively straight, but I am more than happy to have some obstruction in exchange for a full steering wheel.

And for now until they update the software, the cluster isn't that useful as we can't view energy, music/album art, view or control fan speed, or anything like we could on the previous S/X clusters. I am very finicky with fan speed and love to adjust it all the time when driving, and it kills me that on the refresh refresh S/X not only is there no way to control fan speed from the steering wheel, they turned the fan speed into a freaking SLIDER that I can't get to without tapping on the temperature first to bring up the whole A/C screen....can I at least have a + and - button like they did on V11 in my 2016 X??? I know I can tap on the slider to change fan speed but I have like a 20% success rate with that while driving. And my wife complains often why she can't turn off the vents on her side. Anyhow sorry for the rant on that off topic subject!

• Informative
Reactions: beatle
I've gotten so much help from the info on this forum, happy to be able to contribute!

Sorry for my poor description, attached are a couple more photos where I've roughly outlined the backside section that isn't wrapped. The entire rim itself is fully wrapped and very nice. It's just this I guess "cover" behind the T-shape panel with the scroll buttons and airbag. Happy to snap some more photos if it would help.

First photo from the right side (the hole is where you poke an Allen wrench in to pop free the airbag):

View attachment 847377

View from above (to the right is the instrument cluster for reference). It's a textured semi-soft plastic.
View attachment 847378
Thank You. Do you love the experience with the wheel? Is it more fun or easier to drive?
Does installing a wheel void anything with the warranty?