Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Available Wheel Replacements for Yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank You. Do you love the experience with the wheel? Is it more fun or easier to drive?
Does installing a wheel void anything with the warranty?
Definitely love having a regular steering wheel over the yoke. I've only ever had round (with or without a flat bottom) steering wheels in all the cars I've driven over the past 20+ years of my driving life, and could never get used to the yoke. I feel much smoother and confident making turns. Seems silly saying that out loud and in a way all the fuss over a "regular" shaped steering wheel but I think for some including myself, the yoke was a bridge too far.

I'm not an expert but typically the warranty should only be void on things that are replaced or that they can show were affected by the installation. With this - I can't think of anything personally? I guess a grey area could be the scroll wheels and airbag, even though I didn't modify them and I just transferred them over, and they are still plugged into the original factory socket on the steering column they could argue I damaged them when I removed it from the yoke and installed in the steering wheel. But I can't think of anything else they could argue that the replacement steering wheel could cause problems with and void the warranty on. Again I'm not an expert but I think this is relatively low risk of voiding warranty on anything beside the yoke itself; compared to like if you put in lowering links they could probably argue a bunch of things are void on your suspension?

• Love
Reactions: Dirty Dog
@Dirty Dog no warranty issues. The Hansshow wheel starts as Tesla OEM yoke and you use your existing electronics and airbag so no worries. I assume the Unleashed Customs wheel is the same. Further, Tesla cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that the modification caused the problem.

The wheel dramatically improved my MX. I don't have to think about turning my car - much easier to drive now.

@doodlewalker my Hansshow wheel also has a slight gap where the panel meets the wheel. I attributed it to Hansshow using leather which is thicker than the OEM vinyl. I can't see it now that it's installed and no one else would notice it.

Regarding the heating wires, I didn't take picture of it but I am confident that I just plugged the wires into the panel. It was a bit tedious to keep the wires routed correctly as I inserted the panel but otherwise it was smooth.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
@Dirty Dog no warranty issues. The Hansshow wheel starts as Tesla OEM yoke and you use your existing electronics and airbag so no worries. I assume the Unleashed Customs wheel is the same. Further, Tesla cannot void your warranty unless they can prove that the modification caused the problem.

The wheel dramatically improved my MX. I don't have to think about turning my car - much easier to drive now.

@doodlewalker my Hansshow wheel also has a slight gap where the panel meets the wheel. I attributed it to Hansshow using leather which is thicker than the OEM vinyl. I can't see it now that it's installed and no one else would notice it.

Regarding the heating wires, I didn't take picture of it but I am confident that I just plugged the wires into the panel. It was a bit tedious to keep the wires routed correctly as I inserted the panel but otherwise it was smooth.
Unleashed doesn't use a tesla core - they sent me the below diagram and said they use a magnesium alloy one piece core with no welds. Other than some of the labels being different I can't visually see really any difference (like the hole on the right side where the airbag plugs in - on the Tesla yoke it's labeled DAB, on the Unleashed it's labeled as AG1; and the hole on the right also is labeled differently you can see if you zoom in to the image in my earlier post with the two wheels next to each other). The screws from the yoke transfer over fine that hold the bracket for the airbag and the one at the bottom for the panel. The shap of what is visible looks identical to the yoke, and the panel transferred over fits very well, I wouldn't have known it was not a tesla core had they not told me.

@strider did the heating wires have a plug attached at the end? Mine are just completely loose wires, I'm not sure there is anything I can plug it in to without a wiretap of some kind, but will wait for more info from Unleashed. The stock yoke had a nice plug at the end (see second image below) which I thought the Unleashed wheel would have something similar instead of the 4 loose wire ends it came with.

0CD4F7E4-BDE0-4167-8F8F-D56003971B61.jpeg

Stock yoke heating wiring harness:
3415F272-E1FC-44D1-98D6-ED4D4F8748A1.jpeg

Definitely love having a regular steering wheel over the yoke. I've only ever had round (with or without a flat bottom) steering wheels in all the cars I've driven over the past 20+ years of my driving life, and could never get used to the yoke. I feel much smoother and confident making turns. Seems silly saying that out loud and in a way all the fuss over a "regular" shaped steering wheel but I think for some including myself, the yoke was a bridge too far.

I'm not an expert but typically the warranty should only be void on things that are replaced or that they can show were affected by the installation. With this - I can't think of anything personally? I guess a grey area could be the scroll wheels and airbag, even though I didn't modify them and I just transferred them over, and they are still plugged into the original factory socket on the steering column they could argue I damaged them when I removed it from the yoke and installed in the steering wheel. But I can't think of anything else they could argue that the replacement steering wheel could cause problems with and void the warranty on. Again I'm not an expert but I think this is relatively low risk of voiding warranty on anything beside the yoke itself; compared to like if you put in lowering links they could probably argue a bunch of things are void on your suspension?
I'm going to get it. Same way as you with blue stiching to match my car. No center line

Reactions: doodlewalker
Thanks! The way I have it positioned it definitely cuts off a little of the top - like the speed limit sign in the cluster is about half cut off. I can live with that though as it's just like any other car I've driven in the past with a regular steering wheel and I feel way more comfortable making turns. It is a little bit of a shock and I will say a benefit of the yoke that the cluster was completely unobstructed when driving relatively straight, but I am more than happy to have some obstruction in exchange for a full steering wheel.
I have a bit of the cluster cut off from view in my 2015 as well so I can have a slightly lower wheel. Comfort/control trumps cluster visibility.

This is an extraordinarily helpful thread/post, thank you!

Based on the members' experiences here, is there a particular wheel (more rounded, preferably), that is easier to install than others. It seems that the TSportsline wheel is practically "plug & play" (based on their install video). I like the rounder wheels, but it seems that installation is quite complicated -- requiring the buyer to move the buttons/controls over, etc.

I like the Hannshow wheel, as well as the Unleashed Customs wheel, but I am fearful of the installation process (unless there is a recommended installer in the Orlando/Central Florida area).

Thank you all,

Unleashed doesn't use a tesla core - they sent me the below diagram and said they use a magnesium alloy one piece core with no welds. Other than some of the labels being different I can't visually see really any difference (like the hole on the right side where the airbag plugs in - on the Tesla yoke it's labeled DAB, on the Unleashed it's labeled as AG1; and the hole on the right also is labeled differently you can see if you zoom in to the image in my earlier post with the two wheels next to each other). The screws from the yoke transfer over fine that hold the bracket for the airbag and the one at the bottom for the panel. The shap of what is visible looks identical to the yoke, and the panel transferred over fits very well, I wouldn't have known it was not a tesla core had they not told me.

@strider did the heating wires have a plug attached at the end? Mine are just completely loose wires, I'm not sure there is anything I can plug it in to without a wiretap of some kind, but will wait for more info from Unleashed. The stock yoke had a nice plug at the end (see second image below) which I thought the Unleashed wheel would have something similar instead of the 4 loose wire ends it came with.
Yes, mine had the plug. I didn't know unleashed builds their own core. That would explain the difference. Hansshow uses an OEM yoke so the heater wiring was original. They charge you a $450 core charge that is refunded when you return your yoke to use for the next customer. I chose to pay the $450 and keep the yoke in case I wanted to trade the car in someday and/or offer the yoke as an option to the next buyer.

Yes, mine had the plug. I didn't know unleashed builds their own core. That would explain the difference. Hansshow uses an OEM yoke so the heater wiring was original. They charge you a $450 core charge that is refunded when you return your yoke to use for the next customer. I chose to pay the $450 and keep the yoke in case I wanted to trade the car in someday and/or offer the yoke as an option to the next buyer.
Strider: Thank you.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "core" "core fee" etc mean? I dont mind paying extra (and yes, I'd prefer to keep my OEM yoke, even if unused), but I'd like to find something that already has the OEM style buttons/controls, and not have to "move" them from the Yoke to the replacement wheel.

It appears the TSportline wheel is like that (see this video --
) given the relative "ease" to install the replacement wheel. Is there another rounder wheel that has the buttons already installed?

Thanks!

This is an extraordinarily helpful thread/post, thank you!

Based on the members' experiences here, is there a particular wheel (more rounded, preferably), that is easier to install than others. It seems that the TSportsline wheel is practically "plug & play" (based on their install video). I like the rounder wheels, but it seems that installation is quite complicated -- requiring the buyer to move the buttons/controls over, etc.

I like the Hannshow wheel, as well as the Unleashed Customs wheel, but I am fearful of the installation process (unless there is a recommended installer in the Orlando/Central Florida area).

Thank you all,
Yes, one benefit of the TSportline wheel is that it is plug and play except for the airbag. But the cost is high and IMO it's not actually a wheel.

You do have to be a bit handy to do the Hansshow wheel but it's not difficult. The electronics are pressed in so you just need a plastic screwdriver/wedge to gently pry it up, working the tool around - pry a bit, move the tool, pry a bit, move the tool. Eventually it pops out. Then plug the heater in and then slowly work the electronics down into the new wheel, taking care to not mangle the heating wires. Just go slow.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "core" "core fee" etc mean? I dont mind paying extra (and yes, I'd prefer to keep my OEM yoke, even if unused), but I'd like to find something that already has the OEM style buttons/controls, and not have to "move" them from the Yoke to the replacement wheel.

) given the relative "ease" to install the replacement wheel. Is there another rounder wheel that has the buttons already installed?

Thanks!
So the core is the central part of the yoke that also contains the buttons and scrollers. The airbag is removable from the core, and I believe some of these wheels that include the core still require you to remove the airbag from the yoke and install it in to the new core.

The core, at least when it comes to Hansshow, is the original yoke without the buttons or airbag. You will reuse both of those on your new wheel.

The Hansshow price on their website requires you to return your yoke to them after you've made the swap. They will then use that yoke to make a wheel for the next customer. They add $450 to your bill and then refund it when they receive your yoke. This is the "core fee".

I believe TSportline is the only company that is providing the buttons as part of their offering.

So the core is the central part of the yoke that also contains the buttons and scrollers. The airbag is removable from the core, and I believe some of these wheels that include the core still require you to remove the airbag from the yoke and install it in to the new core.
Everyone requires you to move your airbag. TSportline includes the electronics but I believe everyone else requires you to swap them.

Note that the TSportline wheel is not heated. Probably not a dealbreaker for @verizon since they are in FL but may matter to others.

• Informative
Reactions: beatle
The core, at least when it comes to Hansshow, is the original yoke without the buttons or airbag. You will reuse both of those on your new wheel.

The Hansshow price on their website requires you to return your yoke to them after you've made the swap. They will then use that yoke to make a wheel for the next customer. They add $450 to your bill and then refund it when they receive your yoke. This is the "core fee".

I believe TSportline is the only company that is providing the buttons as part of their offering.
Thank you. That's very helpful (as well as the few other responses above).

I am really inclined toward that Hansshow wheel, but admit I am a little apprehensive about porting the core/buttons over to the new wheel myself. I guess this makes sense now b/c the Hansshow wheel is half the price of the TSportsline wheel (which has its own core).

Just got the RPM Tesla round wheel installed at their facility in SoCal. Such a massive improvement on my happiness with the car, after driving only a few minutes. They’re on sale now too: 2021+ | Model S & X Yoke Round Sport Steering Wheel - Real Molded Carbon Fiber

Mark and Gus and everyone there were so helpful and got it swapped in quickly. Highly recommend.
What’s the main difference? I’m used to B the yoke but feels it takes more effort to drive

I was trying to figure out what made driving the Tesla so frustrating, and I realized that I’ve never driven a car that required diverting more driver attention for simple operations (and operations that have always been trivial to do without requiring users to divert their visual or audio senses, at that):
  • Steering: make sure you don’t grab part of the wheel that is no longer there.
  • Blinkers: look down to find the button (you can try to free around using the nub, but make sure you don’t set them off by doing so). Look down again or try to listen to make sure it actually turned on. Then look down or listen again to make sure it turned off properly. All my other cars let me do everything by feel and use by vision and hearing for driving.
  • Horn: look down to find and use it (at the worst possible time to divert your attention, too).
  • Shifting: look down to find and use the sliding area on the touchscreen
I guess I could probably add the rest of the hvac and driving controls to this list since they’re all buried in the touchscreen menus, too…but I can live with those more than the primary driving controls constantly requiring me to always divert my attention. At least I fixed the steering issue and can spend those brain cycles enjoying the drive (until I need to set the next turn signal).

This whole tread is pathetic. Buying a $120k car and looking for ways to replace such critical part as the steering wheel. Tesla do not realize how lucky they are to have such devoted customers.
It's not really pathetic. There are lots of aspects to being a Tesla owner that for some are frustrating, like the service center or the lack of QC on new vehicles. But generally speaking the cars and the charging network are, as a package far superior to any other offering out there. Looking for ways to improve our experiences in these areas is far from pathetic, is fundamentally why we are all here, and why the community is so active and successful.

It's not really pathetic. There are lots of aspects to being a Tesla owner that for some are frustrating, like the service center or the lack of QC on new vehicles. But generally speaking the cars and the charging network are, as a package far superior to any other offering out there. Looking for ways to improve our experiences in these areas is far from pathetic, is fundamentally why we are all here, and why the community is so active and successful.
If we are being honest with ourselves, there is a lot of truth to Boza's and Murtyas general statements. "Settling" on a $100k plus car should not be an option. I "think" Tesla is 4-7 years a head of everyone else or they may even be the iphone the of the electric car industry, no one has a crystal ball. With that being said if others had a more formidible option Tesla would suffer and a lot of us would not be here. The controls you get "used to" but in general they suck. I still love the car but if I was completeley honest and could have the same controls and wheel as my Model 3LR I would be even more happier with it. I know it is my "opinion" and do not speak for all, but I would love to see a poll on all new refresh owners that if Tesla offered to exchange the wheel, horn, stalks etc for free, how many would take that route. Not just tis message board of diehards, all owners.