Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living in Condo w/ Carport. What charger to install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a second residence now - a condo in Florida with a car port. The car port is covered but outside. Not sure if the Tesla mobile connector is a good charging solution for outdoors? What do owners in similar situations do?
They put in the Tesla wall connector which is rated for outdoor use.

Thanx for the quick response.

Can you comment on if the install or the device can be set up such that a condo unit owner is charged for each charge or is the condo facility charged?

Im not sure I understand the question. The standard Tesla wall connector is connected to an electrical circuit. Its hard wired vs plugging into an outlet like the mobile connector, but its connected to an electrical circuit.

How it gets billed would be dependent on who is financially responsible for the circuit its connected to, just like if you put an outlet there and plugged in the mobile connector.

I have a second residence now - a condo in Florida with a car port. The car port is covered but outside. Not sure if the Tesla mobile connector is a good charging solution for outdoors? What do owners in similar situations do?

Plenty of people use only the mobile connector outside in the elements because they don't have a garage. Including myself. Just cover the unit with something waterproof.
But if it is out in the open in a public area (vs at the back of a private driveway) you could have a potential theft issue and that will really ruin your day as sometimes those connectors are sold out and on backorder leaving you with dealing with superchargers.

Also you should minimize wear&tear by avoiding repeated unplugging/plugging it into outlets.

I have the unit on an empty tire rim so it is off the ground. I then put a round plastic trash barrel cover over it with a brick on top to keep water away.

Last edited:
On the billing question, there have been a bunch of ways that people have dealt with that:

The easiest is if you can wire the EVSE into your own unit's metered electric service. Then you pay for it on your regular electric bill, no fuss. There are several approaches to doing this depending on the physical layout of the property.

Others have been able to wire it into a common service, add some form of metering to their install, and pay the HOA for the electricity used. Another variation on this theme has the owner paying some fixed rate per month to the HOA for charging.

A very common approach is for the HOA to contract with a charging company to install EVSEs that then collect payments from the actual users. You don't have one dedicated for your personal use, but neither you or the HOA has to take direct responsiblity for installation and maintenance.

In most cases of the owner doing the installation, you have to follow a procedure to apply to the HOA for permission, usually along with a detailed plan, then shoulder the cost of the install, and possibly provide insurance coverage for any liability that the install might generate. Because this is a multi-family dwelling, it is VERY important that the install be done by a licensed electrician and that all permitting requirements are followed.

Last edited:
Im not sure I understand the question. The standard Tesla wall connector is connected to an electrical circuit. Its hard wired vs plugging into an outlet like the mobile connector, but its connected to an electrical circuit.

How it gets billed would be dependent on who is financially responsible for the circuit its connected to, just like if you put an outlet there and plugged in the mobile connector.
multiple people can access the Tesla app and see the Tesla wall connector use, so you as the vehicle and WC owner, and the landlord supplying the electricty
from there you can see the kws per charge and calculate over the month, full transparency
added up the total month of charges gives X kw, multiply by the agreed to, effective kw charge from the utility

example: 20 charges using 30 kw per charge @ $0.17 per kw, $102 for the month

multiple people can access the Tesla app and see the Tesla wall connector use, so you as the vehicle and WC owner, and the landlord supplying the electricty
from there you can see the kws per charge and calculate over the month, full transparency
added up the total month of charges gives X kw, multiply by the agreed to, effective kw charge from the utility

Perhaps... if there are no time of use charges, and the usage does not push the billed location into another pricing tier for all power (for one example). If someone comes up and says "hey I want to charge at your house every day, I will pay for what this thing shows my car uses, is that cool? " the answer should be "no, because that doesnt cover my cost increase".

That seems like a level of added effort that the HOA may not want to take on. If it's self-managed, the association treasurer (a homeowner volunteer) might get stuck with the work. If they contract for outside management, they may get billed for the time it takes to figure that out every month. And there may be no mechanism in place to bill owners for variable monthly charges.