Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LLewetube: Tesla-tastic, (or take that JC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JRP3

Hyperactive Member
Aug 20, 2007
Central New York
[media]<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bJW5dVF_ss8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bJW5dVF_ss8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>[/media]

"New charger that takes 1 hour"???

That is new from Elon's email yesterday. They have it working in the lab. They hope to have them eventually located in strategic locations where you could stop for lunch on the highway, then have a full charge for continuing your trip.

copied from email:

Going beyond that, we are working on a long term solution that allows for a 45 minute super charge via an offboard charger connected to high voltage commercial power lines. This would be ideal for long distance travel between cities, as you could drive a few hundred miles and then stop for a meal while your car recharges. We have the charger working in our labs right now and hope to deploy a few test articles along major highways later this year.

when I read this... my mind wandered again as to where would these strategic locations be.

How about public golf courses for these reasons.

#1 Some of these have electric golf carts and thus must have electric capability at premises

#2 Hitting balls or playing 9 holes while waiting would be fun

#3 Most have a restaurant for those who don't play golf

I think the ideal location for these fast chargers is the midpoint between major population centers or destinations.

For example, between LA to Las Vegas is about 280 miles. Barstow CA is close to the middle on I-15. It would make some sense to have a restaurant there invest in fast recharging infrastructure for electric vehicles. Stop in to eat and use the restroom, then have a recharged Tesla Sedan/Roadster after 45 minutes.

I actually live in Seattle. Portland is 175 miles south. Vancouver BC is 120 miles north. So really there is no need for something in between. In that scenario the normal HPC is enough in the major cities.

The really fast 45 minute recharge would only be required in some strategic locations like the example of the LA to Las Vegas route.

So I just got in and switched on the Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show and lo and behold he's got his Red Dwarf shipmate on there talking about EVs, amongst other things. Seems like Robert is indeed a bit of an EV fan.

In fact I was just in time to catch him talking up the Tesla, saying how blisteringly fast it was, but (unfortunately) he hasn't bought one. He even had a little dig at Top Gear.

He's currently testing the Honda Insight (says it's the only one in the country at the moment).

The whole show should be on listen again at the above link when it has finished - or you can listen to the rest of it live in the meantime :smile:

By the way, I didn't know he was on there - just got lucky with my usual 'start of Saturday night' listening.

Last edited:
Robert Llewellyn does this Car Pool show. He basically picks someone up and drives that person somewhere and conducts an interview on the way. It's kinda interesting. He's an episode where he does his interview in the Roadster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three things prevented me from getting much out of that interview.
1. He admitted the sound wasn't first rate.
2. My ears are 67 years old.
3. They were speaking some foreign language that I don't have complete mastery of.:redface:

Such is life. Who, by the way, is Woosy?

Three things prevented me from getting much out of that interview.
1. He admitted the sound wasn't first rate.
2. My ears are 67 years old.
3. They were speaking some foreign language that I don't have complete mastery of.:redface:

Such is life. Who, by the way, is Woosy?
Jonathon Ross is a British talk show host, a bit like Jay Leno or Conan O'Brien...

Jonathan Ross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He has problems pronouncing the letter "r", hence the nickname "Wossy".