Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner MX with AP1 vs AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX is currently at the service center getting a couple issues fixed that were found when we took delivery. Nothing major but they gave me a loaner MX to drive while I wait and its a AP1 car.
Couple things of note that I see different between the AP1 loaner and my AP2 MX:
1. The AP1 car is much nicer braking/slowing down for other slow cars/merging traffic.
2. It seems to "see" further.
3. It actually reads the speed limit signs! There is one location close to home that just changed the speed limit and my MX does not read the sign or know the speed has changed.
4. The car displays the traffic in all the other lanes around me. My AP2 car is only displaying the lane and traffic in front of me.

Even with all these differences, I really miss my MX. The streaming radio, linked garage door, presenting doors...my seat profile. I know, first world problems.

Anybody else notice these differences or is there something further I need looked at on my MX to resolve?

• Informative
Reactions: alcibiades
Test Drives on AP1 was what sold me to the Model X. Nowhere in the whole sales process and test drives was mentioned that the AP2 is no where close to AP1 functionality and would require a lot of work. AP1 was close to perfect even on local roads during my 3-4 test drives. With AP2 I am almost afraid to use it and gives me a heart attack. My daughter occasionally asks me "did your car try to kill you today?"./ That says a lot.

Test Drives on AP1 was what sold me to the Model X. Nowhere in the whole sales process and test drives was mentioned that the AP2 is no where close to AP1 functionality and would require a lot of work. AP1 was close to perfect even on local roads during my 3-4 test drives. With AP2 I am almost afraid to use it and gives me a heart attack. My daughter occasionally asks me "did your car try to kill you today?"./ That says a lot.
lol! AP2 is horrific

• Disagree
Reactions: travis010

Completely agree. Nowhere in my original test drive did they say it was AP1, but they were really pushing that AP2 was great. Didn't realize till later that the car we drove was AP1.

The problem is that they should have insisted on a way to run AP1 while AP2 was being developed. It took a long time for AP1 to get to where it is today. If they could have worked out something with Mobileye, the ideal situation would have been to put AP1 and AP2 together on the new cars, let folks use AP1 while AP2 runs in the back and gets developed.

Reactions: gabeincal
I am also one of the suckers that paid for the full driving capability. Considering how AP2 sucks, I have no faith in Full Driving being completed or even partially functional any time soon. AP2 is a step backward for now. Not having rain sensing wipers or "Lane Change Assist" or 360 degree camera while parking are to be expected as available regardless. I feel we are the test subjects for the continued development.

The problem is that they should have insisted on a way to run AP1 while AP2 was being developed. It took a long time for AP1 to get to where it is today. If they could have worked out something with Mobileye, the ideal situation would have been to put AP1 and AP2 together on the new cars, let folks use AP1 while AP2 runs in the back and gets developed.

I think that was their original plan. It was pretty clear that they were banking on being able to have the overlap between Mobileye and Tesla Vision, and were expecting to use AP1 to help validate and refine AP2 during the transition. It doesn't seem like they were at all expecting that Mobileye would disallow that and so they pretty quickly had to formulate Plan B, which is to just rewrite the whole damn thing themselves. Obviously no small task given that Mobileye probably spent years refining their software.

Still, I do think that by this time next year a lot of these threads are going to be things we look back on and think, man, remember how bad AP2 was at first. The growing pains suck right now, but I think it was pretty forward thinking of them to beef up the hardware side of things when they did and when the software gets there, I think there will be a ton of owners very happy that their cars were outfitted with AP2 hardware.

Given the alternate scenario where they could've stuck with AP1 hardware/software for another year, maybe two, and didn't start rolling cars off the line with AP2 hardware until, say, Spring 2018 (guessing when the AP2 software might be considered fairly fully featured), aren't most current AP2 owners glad that the hardware was added to the production of their vehicle?

I think that was their original plan. It was pretty clear that they were banking on being able to have the overlap between Mobileye and Tesla Vision, and were expecting to use AP1 to help validate and refine AP2 during the transition. It doesn't seem like they were at all expecting that Mobileye would disallow that and so they pretty quickly had to formulate Plan B, which is to just rewrite the whole damn thing themselves. Obviously no small task given that Mobileye probably spent years refining their software.

Still, I do think that by this time next year a lot of these threads are going to be things we look back on and think, man, remember how bad AP2 was at first. The growing pains suck right now, but I think it was pretty forward thinking of them to beef up the hardware side of things when they did and when the software gets there, I think there will be a ton of owners very happy that their cars were outfitted with AP2 hardware.

Given the alternate scenario where they could've stuck with AP1 hardware/software for another year, maybe two, and didn't start rolling cars off the line with AP2 hardware until, say, Spring 2018 (guessing when the AP2 software might be considered fairly fully featured), aren't most current AP2 owners glad that the hardware was added to the production of their vehicle?
i believe the same thing...soon my system will be a relic.

Thinking just a few months into the future and seeing that my AP1 car is going to "hit a wall" is kinda funny to think of the comments. It reminds me of waiting for the feature to be turned on for my 2014 AP car. Tesla sits on the bleeding edge of tech, so no one is happy...if you have AP1 you were upset when AP2 was released. If youre an AP2 car, youre sitting waiting for AP2 to work and long for the features of AP1. And, of course of youre a pre AP car owner you would love to have either problem.

I just traded my AP1 P85D in for the Model X 100D with AP2....And Im very happy to take a step back in driving assist to be a part of the 3 steps forward in the coming months. :)

Exact same situation. I bought an AP1 Model S in 2015 a few months before any of the lane keeping, auto park, summon, etc features were added. I thought it was very forward thinking that the hardware was available on the car even if the software wasn't there yet. As those features came online and the functionality of the car started expanding literally overnight, it built some goodwill that Tesla does in fact deliver on these features that you're paying in advance for. I would've been disappointed if they held off on adding AP1 hardware to my vehicle just because the software was a few months out from being ready.

I feel like AP2 really needs to be thought of as a new and separate system from AP1. I know it's hard to think of it like that, because it's obviously coming in the footsteps of AP1 and is a few steps back in several areas. Skilly nailed it though, the current step back will almost certainly be many many steps forward over the next few months.

Reactions: Bilen and boelkers