Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaner Vehicle During Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my Model S in for the annual service and was informed that they were out of Tesla loaners. I'm ok with it since you are supposed to receive something comparable from a local rental business. I was also informed it may take more than a day to complete. I can't even imagine the impact the Model 3 will have if the service centers are backed up where annual service can take 2 business days.

Does a Chrysler 300 live up to a premium replacement? In my mind, I am thinking something like a Mercedes, Audi, BMW etc. Has anyone else experienced this?

For a rental, if they can't get me into another Tesla, I really don't care what I get as long as I quickly get back into my car. I was put into a Camry once, a Buick Enclave, and then finally another MS for my 3rd SC visit. I was glad that they didn't require me to put gas back in as that was going to be my only gripe with getting a non-Tesla rental.

That's the case for me in Northern Virginia (Tyco Road). I've had my car in for warranty service a couple of times. The only time I received a Tesla loaner, was when I booked the yearly scheduled maintenance. The rest of the time I received a rental from Hertz or Enterprise. The last time they gave me options of a couple of Mercedes, BMW, and some other SUVs. I chose the SUV because of a pending snow storm this past service. They have enterprise cars on site now and with their rental volume, Enterprise lets them execute the loaner agreements.

Might be regional. Service center load seems to have improved dramatically in my neck of the woods. I was able to schedule (and reschedule due to a need on my end) my recent appointment without a long wait and was able to get a Tesla loaner.

Mine was a scheduled appointment. When the appointment was made they asked if I needed a loaner, I said yes. When I got there the loaner was waiting for me.

As an almost 4 year Leaf owner before we got the Tesla S 75D in May, I would love to see Tesla start buying up older Leaf S, and SV, well maybe even SL, to use as loaner vehicles. They are relatively cheap compared to the MS they gave me, and it will further reinforce our appreciation of the Tesla vehicle we own.

Monday morning is the worst time to get a Tesla loaner. Midweek is better, since the ones used over the weekend have returned.

I scheduled my annual maintenance 2 weeks ago for a Monday thinking it would be the best time to get a Model S loaner, so perhaps you are right. However, my point was not about getting a Model S loaner, but thought we would receive something comparable as told over the phone. A Chrysler 300 is not comparible in my opinion.

its like the same story with insurance companies and their rental policy of putting you into a similar vehicle when your car is being repaired. I spoke to the rental place once about it. they pretty much said, anything with 4 wheels is a "similar" vehicle.

Reactions: neroden
A quote from Elon regarding loaner vehicles. Perhaps this is something we can look forward to.

Elon Reeve Musk - Tesla Motors, Inc.

“Yeah, in fact this will take us a few months to fully deploy. But our policy for service loaners is that the service loaner fleet will be the very best version of a Tesla that is available. So if you have a Model X that comes in for service, the service loaner you will get will be the absolute fully loaded state-of-the-art P100D Ludicrous best Model X that we have. The same for the Model S. So it'll be the kind of thing where you hope that service takes a long time, because you have the absolute top of the line Tesla as a service loaner.”