Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loaners now speed limited?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a known thing? I picked up a loaner today, hopped on the expressway and it died at 80mph. It just stops right there. I called my SA and he said it was a new policy.

He said it's for their safety and mine however if I already have an identical car with no speed limiter I'm not sure how it's for my safety at all. In fact, if anything it's a bit dangerous. I just got back from Vegas and averaged 85 - 90mph the entire way out and back and that's not the least bit unreasonable considering a 75mph speed limit. Capping me at 80mph would have resulted in hugging the right lane the entire time. Not good.

Has anyone else experienced this?

To be clear...
1. Valet mode is very different from the loaner-speed-limit setting.
2. They've been doing the loaner-speed-limit setting for a while now -- just not consistently across service centers or even within each service center.

isn't 80mph fast enough??? haha
I thought the aim was to hit 88?
w5guf.jpg

hmm... seems to be limited at 85. Huh.

I was certainly told by my sales rep that all loaners are at least intended to be speed limited. I could imagine that local locations forgot the process or didn't adhere to it.

I test drove my P85 in March 2014 and it was rate limited on that test drive and that's when my rep indicated the speed limiting.

Reactions: khaliq
Personally, I think it is a very good idea. There are a lot of selfish people that love to abuse things that are not theirs. "oh it's a rental" mentality. Considering that we can be driving a "loaner" worth upwards of 100K and well over, as I have every time I have gotten one, it is in their best interest to do this.

I support it fully and would actually drop the max speed to the regional max limit. I can drive balls out in my own car at my own risk. Which, of course, I do.

Reactions: TI Sailor