TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lock sliding center armrests in place - How to?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by boonedocks, Aug 23, 2015.

1. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

We had the Tesla center console installed at delivery and don't use the center armrest slider cup holders at all. My S/O doesn't like the way they slide and wanted me to see if they could be locked in the forward place position.

Have any of you found an easy way that doesn't make it too permanent to lock the sliding armrests?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I can't say I've read of anyone locking them in place. Given how they slide, it might be difficult mechanically: your best bet may be a glue of some type. Make sure doing so doesn't prevent removal of the center console.

I have to say I don't really like how they slide, either. I keep them closed whenever possible because otherwise dust and crap accumulates in there, but occasionally I must lean on them when I get in and as a result "fall" back into the seat as they slide to their rear position.

3. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

You might be able to block it with a small plastic wedge at the back.

4. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I wish they actually had some sort of lock for both open and closed. On a recent road trip, my wife leaned on the armrest to, I assume, shift her position in the seat and it ended up slamming closed against a fast food soda cup, sending what was left of her diet Coke all over the car when the paper cup collapsed. I've, on occasion, leaned a bit on it getting in or out and have been startled when it slid on me. Some sort of push button catch to hold it either open or closed would be ideal.

5. wamochi

wamochi Member

+1. We have accidentally crushed a styrofoam cup with water in it . :cursing:

6. boonedocks

boonedocks Member

Stopped by Home Depot today and bought 2 rubber door stops. (Was planning on wedging, marking and cutting to fit). Pushed one in far enough to be uncomfortably forcing the back up the armrest up and didn't want to break it. The rubber was not soft enough to grip and was not going to work. I'll return them and try to find something with a softer rubber.

Any other ideas? I really don't want to glue them because of future use / resale options

7. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I had a quick look at mine today and I think you can disassemble the center stack fairly easily. There appear to be two screws under the rubber mat in the cupholders and the back panel (and probably the sides) appears to just pop off. Once you take it apart, you might be able to drill a small hole and screw the rail that allows the armrests to slide into a fixed position. You could return everything to stock by removing the screw.

Once apart, you might even identify a more elegant solution.

8. wcalvin

wcalvin Member

How about a soft wedge? Say, stick-on Velcro, soft side only.

9. doublejj

doublejj Member

maybe some double stick tape?

10. Zextraterrestrial

maybe try filling the cup holders beyond capacity with some batting or something else? then force the rests forward over the holders while trying to keep the material in them.
    might work? I have put reusable grocery bags in there and the sliders were harder to open

11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I find that they can slide at the wrong time, which is annoying. But I do use that little place for gum and the like. I would like more resistance or a locking switch. I use my center console for drinks because the armrests are the wrong place for a liquid IMO.