Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Locked out of the car. Just about to give up on Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of my gas cars have left me stranded because of 12 volt issues, that is not solved by a simple 5 minute jump start. And never left me unable to open the doors.

I've had a few flat batteries in my time. Most notably Porsche OEM batteries supplied by Moll. They were total junk and lucky to last 12 months without suddenly dying. Left me stranded not once, but twice within a year. It was a well known issue on the Porsche forums at the time, around 2012/13.

At least with Tesla you tend to get a warning when the 12V battery is starting to go downhill. Sounds like this particular case was self-inflicted by the driver running the main battery flat. Not something I would push on an EV based on the many similar stories of woe when exploring the sub 5% end of the battery capacity!

Reactions: GoCanes
None of my gas cars have left me stranded because of 12 volt issues, that is not solved by a simple 5 minute jump start. And never left me unable to open the doors.
c) the fact that the car will lock you out and remain completely dead if there is no 12V energy source is completely unacceptable. As I said before, what if a pet was in the car at the time? You're telling me that this $200,000 vehicle has to suffer a broken window to rescue a pet because my battery died?
I'm not 100% certain on this, but I thought I read somewhere that a Model X door could be opened without power similar to the way a locked vehicle can be opened without a key. Even if the tool is different than the standard tool a tow truck driver / locksmith would have, I would expect a Tesla certified roadside assistance provider to have one.

Anyone know the life span of the 12 volt battery. I seem to recall it is pretty short 2 years or so. Is that correct?
The 12v in my X died after about 2 years. I was out of town and found the X with 0% charge (the 12v cannibalized power from the battery pack). BUT I was about to start the car & drive it about 200 yds to a charging station. After a phone call, Tesla Mobile service came out & replaced the 12v battery at no cost.

The 12v in my X died after about 2 years. I was out of town and found the X with 0% charge (the 12v cannibalized power from the battery pack). BUT I was about to start the car & drive it about 200 yds to a charging station. After a phone call, Tesla Mobile service came out & replaced the 12v battery at no cost.

I love mobile support. I used it for the first time because the charge door would not close all the way. They guy had it fixed in 30 minutes while I was working in my home office.

Yes I did notice that. But why let the facts get in the way of a good story?
Are you suggesting that a P90D X, well, now a P100D X, does not cost $200,000 Cdn?

The price of a six-seat P100D X, with autopilot, is currently $196,100 Cdn. Plus $1300 "destination and regulatory doc fee". Never mind the $24,000 in tax you'll pay on top of that. Plus extra cost if you buy anything other than black paint, base wheels, etc.

What is the point of your snipe, anyway? I know how much my car cost.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 4.27.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-19 at 4.27.01 PM.png
    719.3 KB · Views: 51
element3batteries.com for lithium 12 volt. @PoweredByRain

Thank you!

I will take a look.

The 12V battery was replaced this morning. The car charged at the Supercharger without incident. The initial power was 17 kW, ramping up to 31 kW when the battery reached 1%, 38 kW at 2%, etc... At 10% the power was 75 kW, at 15% 83 kW, at 20% 87 kW, at 25% 92 kW, at 30% 101 kW, which was about the peak power it drew.

So, end of story.

You would have to give those inquires to the battery manufacturer. It works completely well for me in freezing Michigan climate as well as AZ hot summers. Michigan gets pretty cold and blustery but I'm not sure if BC is much worse.

Ummm... it depends which part of B.C. The interior of B.C., especially at higher elevations, can be brutally cold. Coastal B.C., however, is much, much milder than Michigan. The current temperature is 10 C, or 50 F. More often than not, we don't get any snow on the ground in the winter.

Are you suggesting that a P90D X, well, now a P100D X, does not cost $200,000 Cdn?

The price of a six-seat P100D X, with autopilot, is currently $196,100 Cdn. Plus $1300 "destination and regulatory doc fee". Never mind the $24,000 in tax you'll pay on top of that. Plus extra cost if you buy anything other than black paint, base wheels, etc.

What is the point of your snipe, anyway? I know how much my car cost.
It really was an attempt at humor. Everyone always refers to their "100k car" or "120k car". This is the first time I heard the 200k number. Yes, I realize canadian. I wasn't taking a swipe at you. There just seems to be a correlation between the level of annoyance of the most posts on this forum and the inflation of the price paid for the car.

BTW my 70D cost $82k. So for now on I will start my rants by saying:

"Anyone who can afford a $82k car can surely..."
"I paid $82k for my car and Tesla owes me better service..."
"I could have gotten more refinement out of a $82k BMW..."

It really was an attempt at humor. Everyone always refers to their "100k car" or "120k car". This is the first time I heard the 200k number. Yes, I realize canadian. I wasn't taking a swipe at you. There just seems to be a correlation between the level of annoyance of the most posts on this forum and the inflation of the price paid for the car.

BTW my 70D cost $82k. So for now on I will start my rants by saying:

"Anyone who can afford a $82k car can surely..."
"I paid $82k for my car and Tesla owes me better service..."
"I could have gotten more refinement out of a $82k BMW..."

LOL, it's a bit like when people say such and such feature should be standard on a $80-200K luxury car, when pretty much every other luxury car I can think of in the same price range has an options list that would stretch across several football pitches.