Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long (50 min) 2018.39.2.1 mad max driving in Europe - the last one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As asked on this forum, I made a new movie with Mad Max mode turned on with unattended lane changes on my updated Model X. This time it's running 2018.39.2.1.
It needed a little more variables enabled from the command-line to make it do it's thing. I told Tesla, that if they contact me to stop making these movies, I will and might go to 'stealth mode'. Maybe they won't, as this is such a great development.

So, maybe this is the last movie about pre-release firmwares. Thanks to you-know-who for initially helping me to get root. And thanks to @nemSoma to getting me the 2018.39.2.1 image.

Once in a highway change, it got confused. I guess that kind of thing is to be expected on a continent without special map source. But overall I enjoyed the ride a lot! And it feels so 'human' when driving and changing lanes... nothing like the old 'autopilot'.

Jasper Nuyens

Its sad that out of all the people here with APV9 you are the only one who is posting actionable videos. unfortunately your videos only contain basic lane changes.

I'm looking at you @BigD0g and @verygreen :p
I have no time for this now, busy with other priorities.

But I am all for more people to experience v9 for themselves, the more people the more diverse videos, right? I am not going to turn down people that are going to visit me for their v9 hit (and I am sure similar things could be organized on west coast and other areas if thre's interest), no rooting, just the new firmware (well, not particularly new at 18.39.2.1). Beware of the blacklists too!

@jnuyens In the video, is the car doing everything beside itself? Did you ever pull the stalk to confirm or initiate a lane change? Did you give any driver input at all?

I mean prior to 41 minutes in, where you take over from Autopilot.

Well half of the video he was initiating lane changes by turning the blinker.

Things really gets dicey 40 mins and onwards as it fails to lane change in time for an exit multiple times. Also freaked out as it was further confused what to do and needed immediate take over.

Also the actual interesting part of the entire drive which were the interchange highway that required multiple rapid lane changes and merging v, it failed and was unable to function in.

Also needed another take over as it failed to merge from an on-ramp and was running out of real estate.

I'm quite disappointed. This is certainly not the biggest development and advancement in ai history, bigger than a waymo L4 taxi deployment this year as you posted previously?

What do you think about that?

Now perhaps this isn't cali. Will wait for cali footage to make final assesment.

Lol, I never said that. :rolleyes:

Just paraphrased what you said from what I remember from memory. Went looking back and found some of the quote.

Based on this reasoning, an update enabling what Elon described is the event I’m most eagerly anticipating for Tesla, beyond even profitability or a smooth Model 3 ramp. It would be a historic achievement of computer science.

Just paraphrased what you said from what I remember from memory. Went looking back and found some of the quote.

Your paraphrase was quite different from what I actually said and, in one way, the opposite of what I actually said. I found it to be a rather offensive misquote. Anyway, we should not derail Jasper’s thread any further. Create a new thread if you’d like to air your grievances.

What are you looking for a video of, and I'll see if I can make it work.

1) Lane changes such as from lane 1 to lane 4 to take an exit in dense low speed grid lock traffic in under 100 meters

2) Handling dense interchange freeway merges. For example where lane 1 & 2 is grid lock and lane 3 & 4 is going 70mph, merging from lane 1 into lane 4.

3) Handling sandwiched scenario when merging from on ramp with car directly on the side and car directly in front preventing merge, while running out of real estate.

4) Going from 4 lanes freeway that shrinks into 1 lane in dense grid lock traffic. handing less than 100 meters interchage merges in grid lock traffic with variable lane speed.

5) Handling double lane merge.

6) Responding appropriately to obstables (tire, road debris, barriers, etc).

1) Lane changes such as from lane 1 to lane 4 to take an exit in dense low speed grid lock traffic in under 100 meters

The system as designed if you have it on navigate, won't even allow this, it tries to get to the first lane about 1.5 to 2 miles out. And when it's caught all the way in the wrong lane, it slows to a crawl until it can make it to the right, I think I've mentioned this before.

2) Handling dense interchange freeway merges. For example where lane 1 & 2 is grid lock and lane 3 & 4 is going 70mph, merging from lane 1 into lane 4.

This I can do, in fact, I might have a video already of it from this morning, I'll look at some of my footage.

3) Handling sandwiched scenario when merging from on ramp with car directly on the side and car directly in front preventing merge.

I'm not risking this one, unless you warranty my car =)

4) Going from 4 lanes freeway that shrinks into 1 lane in dense grid lock traffic. handing less than 100 meters interchage merges in grid lock traffic with variable lane speed.

I think I can do something on a 3 lane freeway, we don't have many 4 lanes where I reside.

5) Handling double lane merge.

It doesn't just go over 2 lanes, it will go one lane, continue for a while and depending on the exit and the prevailing traffic it will go over again, but I've not seen it just jump 2 lanes yet.

6) Responding appropriately to obstacles (tire, road debris, barriers, etc).

I think it was only confused at the highway intersection because the extra needed napping for European highways isnt there yet. In the US it indicates visually which highways work.

As for dense traffic. It works! It might do it a little bit differently than what you're used to, but it really sneaks in between in Mad Max mode. Maybe a little bit too eager to go to the faster lane, might annoy other people.

Good Tesla wants to get this right. And I'm sure more impressive movies will be posted. I'll back up the camera further next time.

• Funny
Reactions: Seattle Tom
As for dense traffic. It works!

This is contrary to your videos. Still yet to see any dense traffic lane change. Waiting patiently before making final assessment.

Good Tesla wants to get this right. And I'm sure more impressive movies will be posted. I'll back up the camera further next time.

I think it just needs to be higher.
This would be a perfect angle.

Tesla's angle is also good bur you can't see the side mirrors like the above.

The system as designed if you have it on navigate, won't even allow this, it tries to get to the first lane about 1.5 to 2 miles out. And when it's caught all the way in the wrong lane, it slows to a crawl until it can make it to the right, I think I've mentioned this before.
How would it handle interchange merges and then immediate exit in the other side of the freeway with distance around ~100 meters? Slow down and wait?

Also I have seen it miss exits in @jnuyens video.

This I can do, in fact, I might have a video already of it from this morning, I'll look at some of my footage.

Would love to see this.

I think I can do something on a 3 lane freeway, we don't have many 4 lanes where I reside.

Would like to see this too. It has to be on a dense grid lock traffic though unless it would just be basic lane change.

It doesn't just go over 2 lanes, it will go one lane, continue for a while and depending on the exit and the prevailing traffic it will go over again, but I've not seen it just jump 2 lanes yet.

I meant something like this. White cars is trying to go right, red cars is trying to go left. but since it can't jump two lanes i guess its already a non-starter.
The-double-merge-scenario-Vehicles-arrive-from-the-left-or-right-side-to-the-merge.png

You find this in roundabouts for local roads and cloverleaf interchange for freeways.
I always do my research :p

Here are some testimonial

That whole exchange is a clusterfuck, especially EB-96/M-14 to I-275N if you have to get to 696. I've had so many close calls with people stopping short in the lane next to the exit lane to get over at the last minute.

I-96/M-14 WB to I-275 SB between Livonia and Plymouth on the west side of Detroit is one of the worst clover leaf exit ramps ever conceived! Nothing like sharing a deceleration lane with accelerating traffic entering M-14 WB... that happens to have heavy tractor trailer traffic at all hours of the day!

Oh NB I-275 from there to 6 Mile or so is also a clever piece of "how can we mess with merging traffic" engineering! 3 lanes NB, 2 merging in from I-96, with the left lane ending in barely a mile, and most local traffic having to race across those two merging lanes to exit at 6 Mile!

No two clover leaf are alike, this is one from tenn.
Notice how the exits are short and most times in dense traffic you will find cars trying to go the opposite direction.

Then you have your regularly simply short exit, or on-ramp from the left lane and immediate exit on the right.

The exit for Route 8 south onto I-84 East dumps into the left lane almost immediately after this exit, and while it creates its own lane, there is a right-hand exit not a quarter mile later that people try to make. This happens in other places in Connecticut.

Any of the exits along the Lower Deck of I35 through Austin.

First, they're all INSANELY short. You might have 15 feet to move over, then decelerate from 65 MPH to 35 MPH.

They are also either within 50 feet of the intersection, meaning if you're trying to go right you have to cross three or four lanes of traffic on the frontage road in a distance less than most people can spit, OR they are miles from the road you actually are trying to find.

Knowing that V9 is a release cut from their FSD software and Musk's statement that he will never withold new features. I'm sure if Tesla is as ahead as most people believe they are and if Musk's claim that they are close to doing coast-to-coast. Then They should be able to handle this scenario quite easily.

These are just a few scenarios, there are even more complex ones.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: