Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay replacing Model 3 Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s been over a week since I did the online form and they called same day to say no screens and would I like to be contacted when available (said yes of course). I have not received any SMS from them like others have mentioned. Car has turned into a very expensive games machine for me and my son.

It strikes me that the so called windscreen is a massive design fault. The insurance companies will catch onto this and refuse to call the ridiculous panoramic roof windscreens.
I think you may have missed the fact that the insurance companies don’t call panoramic roofs “windscreens”! The windscreen is a separate item like on other cars.

Just booked my M3 in with autoglass and received a call back from Belron to confirm details. The woman had a strong Indian accent and wanted me to pay the £190 excess before they order the screen. With the amount of scam Indian calls I get I declined and opted to pay in reply to secure email.

I take it Belron are official agents for autoglass?

I've been waiting 10 weeks for Autoglass to procure and offer fitment of a windscreen.
Today is the second week Autoglass have not sent a regular "Monday missive" text saying "sorry, no glass".

Last Monday when the missive wasn't sent, someone thought it might mean they had some glass and tried to arrange a fitment. Alas Autoglass cancelled their appointment ... no glass! Autoglass eventually sent their "sorry, no glass" text on Wednesday - very lax of them!

I suffered a crack in my windscreen following stone impact at the beginning of March. Still no replacement

So I decided to do a bit of DIY first aid on my windscreen to try and and fix the crack, and at least stop it growing.
Certainly a good option whilst you wait for new screens to become available.

Did you try to force the resin in via the supplied syringe system? If you tried at the last wide point it might have forced it along the thin crack a little bit.

At time of writing I have now been waiting 101 days for either Autoglass or Tesla to get me a replacement Model 3 windscreen. Direct Line insurance agreed to allow Tesla to supply the windscreen and accepted my argument that DL's glass repairer could not provide the service required. I will pay £1k to Tesla and reclaim from Direct Line.
I first noticed the damage shown in the photo when giving the car a wash (didn't see it at first, but felt it through the wash mit).
The damage was originally confined to the top corner of the windscreen and completely out of sight form the driver's view, but has since grown a long crack of about 18 inches into the visible area of the screen, just above my line of sight. I wish I'd tried the crack repair kit mentioned above before it got this bad.
Worse still I was supposed to be picking up my new Model Y on the 3rd of March, but haven't been able to sell the Model 3 due to the broken screen.
I did have a Tesla Service appointment about a month back, but it was moved by them to the 1st of April. I'm preparing myself for this to be delayed again by Tesla.

Attachments

• 20211217_145905.jpg
    20211217_145905.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 94
That’s insane. 10 weeks potentially without the car.

Umm, not "potentially" but actually without the car.
The screen's so busted its not safe to drive anywhere and its been sat on my driveway leaking electrons since it broke! :(
The only plus is the screen's not leaking rainwater (touch wood) yet.

Churchill insurance doesn't cover a busted screen as a replacement vehicle qualification :(

I suffered a crack in my windscreen following stone impact at the beginning of March. Still no replacement

So I decided to do a bit of DIY first aid on my windscreen to try and and fix the crack, and at least stop it growing.

Here's a video of my experience:
Nice job. I did almost exactly the same on Friday and it’s much better. Certainly not fixed but workable. My crack is almost identical to yours, but drivers side, right in my eye line!

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT and Durzel
The crack on mine is not visible from inside the car, it runs along the top. This is my solution to stop it spreading, Gorilla Tape. If the shortage lasts much longer, I'll re-do it, neater.

I've just had my trade in offer accepted for a Y. May to June delivery, do you think Tesla would wait for Autoglass to replace it, or do it themselves and charge me full whack if I can't get it fixed in time?

Attachments

• Grilla.jpg
    Grilla.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 48
At time of writing I have now been waiting 101 days for either Autoglass or Tesla to get me a replacement Model 3 windscreen. Direct Line insurance agreed to allow Tesla to supply the windscreen and accepted my argument that DL's glass repairer could not provide the service required. I will pay £1k to Tesla and reclaim from Direct Line.
I first noticed the damage shown in the photo when giving the car a wash (didn't see it at first, but felt it through the wash mit).
The damage was originally confined to the top corner of the windscreen and completely out of sight form the driver's view, but has since grown a long crack of about 18 inches into the visible area of the screen, just above my line of sight. I wish I'd tried the crack repair kit mentioned above before it got this bad.
Worse still I was supposed to be picking up my new Model Y on the 3rd of March, but haven't been able to sell the Model 3 due to the broken screen.
I did have a Tesla Service appointment about a month back, but it was moved by them to the 1st of April. I'm preparing myself for this to be delayed again by Tesla.
Happy to report that my service appointment with Tesla went ahead and I got my replacement windscreen fitted today.