Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long delay replacing Model 3 Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called LV today, put me through to the claims dept. They said I had to try all 3 of their glass providers, only been to Autoglass. If no luck to call LV back then they would contact all 3 providers to check situation themselves ( ?? ) and then they would look at alternative options. Did they make you do this? Also have they said if this will impact your policy at renewal? Shame I can’t reference your account when I call them back to save time. Tesla have quoted £803.59 for end of May appointment (M3LR oct 21 reg)
I wasn't told I had to try the others but that I may have to pay an additional excess of £200 for not trying them. Basically, I went with Tesla expecting to pay both excesses (£390 in total) but in the end was spared the second one. When I sent the invoice off to LV, I did ask them to re-consider the second excess in the email but wasn't optimistic. Expect the worse then anything less is a bonus. Not sure why yours is circa £40 more but prices are changing daily in lots of things at the moment so may just be the time difference.

Reactions: ItsBlacknWhite
I wasn't told I had to try the others but that I may have to pay an additional excess of £200 for not trying them. Basically, I went with Tesla expecting to pay both excesses (£390 in total) but in the end was spared the second one. When I sent the invoice off to LV, I did ask them to re-consider the second excess in the email but wasn't optimistic. Expect the worse then anything less is a bonus. Not sure why yours is circa £40 more but prices are changing daily in lots of things at the moment so may just be the time difference.
Hi again, LV are saying they’d have to log a claim as Accidental Damage, did you have to do this? I’ve asked the advisor to ask his management if any other way, I don’t want an accidental claim logged against me that could impact my renewal.

I called LV yesterday and they just told me to get it done with Tesla and then submit a claim, which they would then reimburse minus the excess.
Seems simple enough.
Had another text from Autoglass today saying still unable to book an appointment… 🤷🏻‍♂️
Have you booked in with Tesla? When can they fit you in?

Update: LV called back and confirmed only a windscreen claim and not a normal claim logged against policy no impact or need to declare in future. So same process you described above. Now to try and get it booked in with Tesla.

Last edited:
Have you booked in with Tesla? When can they fit you in?

Update: LV called back and confirmed only a windscreen claim and not a normal claim logged against policy no impact or need to declare in future. So same process you described above. Now to try and get it booked in with Tesla.
I'm with Churchill and have been waiting since mid-January for Autoglass (approaching 14-weeks now) and got their "no glass" message today.
Car not safe to drive so sat in my driveway.
Not re-tried chasing Churchill yet or Tesla but very interested if Tesla do have, and can fit, a new screen quickly.
Winchester is my nearest Service Centre, some 18 miles away.
I did email Tesla last week but got no response. I presume a service appointment via the App is the only way.
Will be very interested in your progress.

I'm with Churchill and have been waiting since mid-January for Autoglass (approaching 14-weeks now) and got their "no glass" message today.
Car not safe to drive so sat in my driveway.
Not re-tried chasing Churchill yet or Tesla but very interested if Tesla do have, and can fit, a new screen quickly.
Winchester is my nearest Service Centre, some 18 miles away.
I did email Tesla last week but got no response. I presume a service appointment via the App is the only way.
Will be very interested in your progress.
Hey Neil, yes raise a service appointment through the app. i received a text from Tesla that there is a major back order on windscreens but they are seeing some stock slowly come through. I’m now booked in for the end of May, not great but at least it’s a confirmed date. I would raise via the app to confirm they can get you a screen then call your insurer as other people with your insurer have managed to get them to reimburse the cost of Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Neilman
Having checked with Autoglass at the start of the week, and been told they still have no idea when they can get the roof glass, I spoke to Churchill to get their agreement for me to go to Tesla who have the glass & can fit it next week. Was asked to send them a copy of the estimate for assessment, and they'll get back to me..... nothing so far!

Autoglass left a message yesterday to say they had the glass but needed me to confirm if mine was the grey tint or orange tint (I thought the orange went out of production in 2019, but whatever). I could be booked in next week!!
Rang back, confirmed mine is the grey tint - "Sorry, the system's showing that glass isn't in stock" But the glass is the same regardless of tint..... "Sorry, we can only fit the matching glass, we'll have to go back to purchasing and try again. We'll give you call when we get an update".

Will be chasing Churchill later to see what they say.............

I called LV today, put me through to the claims dept. They said I had to try all 3 of their glass providers, only been to Autoglass. If no luck to call LV back then they would contact all 3 providers to check situation themselves ( ?? ) and then they would look at alternative options. Did they make you do this? Also have they said if this will impact your policy at renewal? Shame I can’t reference your account when I call them back to save time. Tesla have quoted £803.59 for end of May appointment (M3LR oct 21 reg)
Makes you wonder what you're paying them for really, doesn't it.

Having checked with Autoglass at the start of the week, and been told they still have no idea when they can get the roof glass, I spoke to Churchill to get their agreement for me to go to Tesla who have the glass & can fit it next week. Was asked to send them a copy of the estimate for assessment, and they'll get back to me..... nothing so far!

Autoglass left a message yesterday to say they had the glass but needed me to confirm if mine was the grey tint or orange tint (I thought the orange went out of production in 2019, but whatever). I could be booked in next week!!
Rang back, confirmed mine is the grey tint - "Sorry, the system's showing that glass isn't in stock" But the glass is the same regardless of tint..... "Sorry, we can only fit the matching glass, we'll have to go back to purchasing and try again. We'll give you call when we get an update".

Will be chasing Churchill later to see what they say.............
I assume you are talking about a roof, rather than a windscreen.

Thankfully rear door windows are available. Only a 4 day wait, joys of overstaying your welcome in Liverpool I guess🤦‍♂️

Attachments

• 7300DC34-CB19-464A-8FF3-4DF28B4ECD42.jpeg
    7300DC34-CB19-464A-8FF3-4DF28B4ECD42.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 5204C8A5-6469-4A36-8EFA-588A708DE00A.jpeg
    5204C8A5-6469-4A36-8EFA-588A708DE00A.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 52
  • C4390665-B17A-4F8F-93A4-CA65FB659687.jpeg
    C4390665-B17A-4F8F-93A4-CA65FB659687.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 52
  • BA46CF7F-77B9-462F-9D56-3FFD1146D841.jpeg
    BA46CF7F-77B9-462F-9D56-3FFD1146D841.jpeg
    580.6 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: Pajo78
Awww, man! This is painful to see :(

Did you have Sentry Mode enabled, by any chance?
No I normally have it switched off & completely forgot about it tbh. Just woke to a notification that alarm had been triggered at 4am. Another 3 cars got done too in the same row🤷🏼‍♂️. Only thing they took was a baseball cap from the back seat🤦🏼‍♂️
Wonder why they don’t fit laminated glass on the back doors as well as fronts, it obviously stopped them getting in the front.

I was glad of the seat& steering heater going over the pennines with no back window though. Pretty cold up there I can tell you🤣

Pick the M3 back up tomorrow 🕺🏼🕺🏼. Had a Corsa in the interim which was an experience lol.

Thing’s I liked:-
Apple car play, google maps, physical buttons, auto wipers & lights that worked well, dumb cruise that didn’t slam on brakes for no reason.

Thing’s I disliked:-
Small screen, gear changing, gutless acceleration, seats that were bum numbing, scuttle shake on corners with rough road surface.

The thing I missed most ….. one pedal driving.

My conclusion is a non Tesla EV will probably replace this one when I reach lease termination.