Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windscreen chip - worth replacing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
picked up a chip pretty much centre of passenger side of windscreen. options are
  1. repair without insurance will cost £207 with Autoglass
  2. repair with insurance will cost £10 with Autoglass (NCD not affected but I assume Churchill premiums will be)
  3. leave it for now, claim if it gets worse
Anyone like to advise which option is best?

Is there any limitation between when the chip happened and when we can claim?

1686574302689.png

approx 1 x 1.5cm. No penetration to interior which is smooth. Tiny puncture on exterior.

I'd get it filled and keep your fingers crossed it doesn't spread. If you get it filled by autoglass they guarantee against cracking for a period.

I had mine repaired, it then cracked a few weeks later so they replaced it. but took a while to get a location that could fit the windscreen and calibrate the cameras. pain in the arse it was. That was a year ago, maybe its better now

Reactions: Jason71 and BitJam
picked up a chip pretty much centre of passenger side of windscreen. options are
  1. repair without insurance will cost £207 with Autoglass
  2. repair with insurance will cost £10 with Autoglass (NCD not affected but I assume Churchill premiums will be)
  3. leave it for now, claim if it gets worse
Anyone like to advise which option is best?

Is there any limitation between when the chip happened and when we can claim?
Option 3 is a non option. You need to either repair it asap or replace the screen. That sucker will spread and when you least expect / want it, which will leave you with full screen replacement as the only option.

Reactions: M3noob
BTW, if the worst happens and they have to replace the windscreen, will autopilot etc work or am I then going to have to get a service appointment for recalibration and suck up the cost of that?
Do the calibration yourself. Having it done for you is a big ripoff. AP and FSD features will be unavailable while it calibrates. You need to put on some highway miles for it to calibrate. There is a button for Camera Calibration in the Service menu.

• Helpful
Reactions: kuruma
had a chat with them on the phone. Although they confirmed that they can in fact fit me in next week for that, it turns out that they can't do calibration on the driveway so I'd have to head to their nearest place (over 30 miles from me), so cheers to BitJam for the tip on doing it yourself.

I'll keep you posted...

had a chat with them on the phone. Although they confirmed that they can in fact fit me in next week for that, it turns out that they can't do calibration on the driveway so I'd have to head to their nearest place (over 30 miles from me), so cheers to BitJam for the tip on doing it yourself.

I'll keep you posted...
are you booked in for chip repair? or a new screen? surely you don't need to do camera calibration after a chip repair?

I had a replacement recently and I had to wait 4 weeks for them to have the "calibration equipment" available at my local branch. Surely the calibration they do is not the same as you can do in the car or why would they need calibration equipment?

Reactions: Adopado
Tell you what, if you need to get your state inspection sticker, it potentially may not pass. You will need to patch it by yourself, there are several youtube videos that show how to do it. Having it professionally patched is also an option.
You are posting in the UK & Ireland section of the forum. State inspection sticker means nothing here… obviously.

Reactions: M3noob
are you booked in for chip repair? or a new screen? surely you don't need to do camera calibration after a chip repair?

I had a replacement recently and I had to wait 4 weeks for them to have the "calibration equipment" available at my local branch. Surely the calibration they do is not the same as you can do in the car or why would they need calibration equipment?
chip repair... which could potentially cause it to worsen and therefore potentially require a new screen, hence the discussion of calibration.