Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long-range or Performance

Which Model 3?

• Long-range

Votes: 86 52.8%
  • Performance

Votes: 77 47.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

Seeking some purchase advice on long-range versus performance.

I prefer the faster 0-60 (of course) on the performance. But I don’t feel the need to the bigger breaks or larger wheels. The larger wheels look nice, but have a harder ride and can complicate matters with snow chains or winter tires. Can you get performance with the 18” wheels? Regenerative breaking plus standard breaks should be sufficient and I don’t plan to use the car on the track. Both seem to have the same engines, battery, and interior.

Only other hesitations on the car are annoying door handles, wiper performance uncertainty, and questionable service centers.

Any thoughts from people who have driven both or made the same decision? I’ve only driven the performance which is great.

I do think I'd enjoy knowing I have one of the fastest cars on the road, but in all reality, I would barely use it (since I don't track and I also don't live somewhere where I can go drifting through snow/ice).

The LR RWD is plenty quick enough for a thrill, and in the long run the efficiency has been very satisfying. But then again, I'm kind of a miser and also have other things I could use the money for...

Reactions: NeverFollow
Hi Folks,

I prefer the faster 0-60 (of course) on the performance. But I don’t feel the need to the bigger breaks or larger wheels. The larger wheels look nice, but have a harder ride and can complicate matters with snow chains or winter tires. Can you get performance with the 18” wheels? Regenerative breaking plus standard breaks should be sufficient and I don’t plan to use the car on the track. Both seem to have the same engines, battery, and interior.

Only other hesitations on the car are annoying door handles, wiper performance uncertainty, and questionable service centers.

Any thoughts from people who have driven both or made the same decision? I’ve only driven the performance which is great.
I have the P3D+ and it's amazing. Every person that i give a ride and even warn them about the sudden acceleration, it catches them off guard and their expression is like the split second when the roller coast comes over the crest of the big drop - eyes 10x time normal size, mouth wide open and four letter superlative flying out. I also test drove the LR M3 and before I bought my P3D+, I owned a Hyundai Genesis Coupe with 348hp; it was the fastest car I ever owned. Then I drove the LR M3 and couldn't believe how fast you can enter a freeway; it climbed quickly to 80+ on short entrance ramp going up hill. The Genesis may get to 80. After driving it I almost changed my mind about the P3D+. But after getting it i never look back and so glad i stayed with my original plan. It boils down how important is it to you to have the thrill of that 100+ foot drop of a major roller coaster and the extra $$$. No matter which vehicle you pick, you'll be amazed on how well these car perform...flip a coin.

Hi Folks,

Do you want a range king or a speed deamon? Sounds like you don't need AWD since AWD was not mentioned.

The increased acceleration of the P3D (and for the X and S performance variants) is not just about faster off the line acceleration. Rather, there is a HUGE advantage in having the faster acceleration when passing cars on the freeway. I don’t use the quicker acceleration of my ludicrous on residential streets. But, when I need to pass up a car, or maneuver around a questionable vehicle on the road/freeway, it is a night and day difference. Can’t do those things as effectively with the non-performance variants.

If money is not an issue, you will never regret having the performance. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone downgrading from a P to non-P, but I have heard of many people who would have stretched a little to buy a P after.

Hi Folks,

We have a LR and a P3D-.

Because the Performance version is not available without the unnecessary bigger brakes and wheels, I would either get the LR AWD or the LR. The LR is nice for it's range and efficiency advantages (which exist even if you have the 18" Aero wheels on the AWD or P3D). If you don't need the AWD (and you probably don't as long as you use winter tires for snow travel), then save the money and get the more efficient LR. It is plenty fast (even before the recent news that they are bumping the power up 5% for LR owners). You would need a pretty fast ICE car to be faster than a LR. Even ICE cars with the same 0-60 times as the LR are not as fast as the LR in the real world due to the instant torque of the electric motor.

You can't go wrong with any of the LR versions, simply stunning. And the shorter range versions are probably just about as nice as long as you are not road tripping and don't have an excessive daily commute.

You would need a pretty fast ICE car to be faster than a LR. Even ICE cars with the same 0-60 times as the LR are not as fast as the LR in the real world due to the instant torque of the electric motor.

Thanks for all the good advice! True, almost no ICE cars have 4 or 5 second 0-60 - so long-range is still fantastic. I am leaning toward the long-range but might test drive it first just to see if I like it as much as performance.

Thanks for all the good advice! True, almost no ICE cars have 4 or 5 second 0-60 - so long-range is still fantastic. I am leaning toward the long-range but might test drive it first just to see if I like it as much as performance.

You're welcome! I'll add that the most practical aspect of the AWD models is they can still scoot even if you're on oily urban streets that are wet with rain. That only matters if you want that extra bit of acceleration when it's slippery, like for pulling out into fast traffic. Not a big deal, you just wait for a little bigger opening in the traffic with the RWD. I really have a soft spot in my heart for the LR RWD. It's best for covering big distances efficiently.

If you like roller coasters and test drive the performance, there is no way you will feel good about buying anything less. If you have the money, I highly recommend it. The power is intoxicating, as well as the g-force tingly feelings it gives.

Also for perspective, you cannot achieve a 0-60 of (now) 3.2 unless you are buying something in the $90-120k price range for an ICE vehicle. The power to cost ratio of the model 3 p is unheard of. BUT, you will not have as much power above 80 mph as something like a Porsche.

The only practical reasons I could think of not getting the m3p is because I need the range (310 vs 250-270~), or if I didn't like the look of the rims and tires.

Last edited: