Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Long term maintenance 100k+ miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 11/13 built S85 has 125K miles on it. Warranty work retrofitted the newer TPMS, drive unit (Q-revision in late 2019), HV contactors, HVAC drain hose, pyro fuse, rear defroster fuse, and steering bolts. I opted to upgrade to MCU2 and got an extra key fob. Other than 2 sets of tires, a 12V battery, and some wiper blades, the car has had zero maintenance. Brake fluid was tested 2 years ago for water absorption, pads and rotors are fine, suspension shows no structural cracks and no slop or play at the bushings and joints.

Twice a year, I'll have the left headlamp (HID) go out which triggers a warning on the IC. A simple toggle of the off, then back on from the MCU for the headlights will get the left headlamp going again. Can't seem to figure out the reason for the issue, but it's a rare occurrence. The car seems to be getting a little noisier with wind coming through the weatherstripping. I'm wondering if there's a spray that I can apply to reinvigorate the rubber seals to be more effective. I'd hate to replace the whole seal/gasket. The only issue that nags at me is the concern over fluid intrusion at the drive unit and HV battery. I'll remove the speed sensor at the drive unit to check for coolant the next time I have the car backup on the ramps.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
I recall BMW had this gummi-pflege product that brings back weatherstipping (does not repair), making it more flexible and protecting it. Helps for sticking in winter too.

Thank you for this. I've ordered one for my MS. I don't have any issues thus far but I think this is a good maintenance item to perform being mine is a 2015 and I have no clue if any rubber seals were ever maintained.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Just hit 100k after 16 months of ownership. 2016 MS that had about 34k when purchased. Expenses to date.
MCU2 - 2000
Heater fail - 1200
2nd set wheels - 1200 (ebay)
Winter tires- 900
Door handle - no cost
Upgrade speakers/Amp - 1100
Wipers - 35
Auto Frunk hydraulic kit - 800

I've couldn't be more pleased with this car and the unlimited supercharging is a game changer.
20230801_170026.jpg

Just hit 100k after 16 months of ownership. 2016 MS that had about 34k when purchased. Expenses to date.
MCU2 - 2000
Heater fail - 1200
2nd set wheels - 1200 (ebay)
Winter tires- 900
Door handle - no cost
Upgrade speakers/Amp - 1100
Wipers - 35
Auto Frunk hydraulic kit - 800

I've couldn't be more pleased with this car and the unlimited supercharging is a game changer.View attachment 961896
Of these, how many were “necessary” for use of the car?

Heater was the only thing that was "necessary ". MCU2 was recommended but the other things were purely for my convenience since I'm in the car all the time.
That is a lot of driving and time in the car. 66K in 16 months including the time spent having work done to the car. Glad you're enjoying it and perhaps you should consider saving ~$22K just in case a battery (upgrade) is in your future.

That is a lot of driving and time in the car. 66K in 16 months including the time spent having work done to the car. Glad you're enjoying it and perhaps you should consider saving ~$22K just in case a battery (upgrade) is in your future.
That is one thing I’m interested seeing how the service center will play with our older models. (I have a 17MS 109k miles with Unlimited Supercharging for life and would like to have greater range when my battery finally fails around 250k miles.)

Upper control arms, certainly, the ball joints fail, you'll hear a clunk. They're cheap, less than $100 each. Lower control arms also a good possibility as the rubber wears past 100k miles. Also 100 bucks or less parts cost.

Besides suspension? 12V battery. Windshield wiper linkage (bushing wears and it can start rubbing and eating away hood - $150 part without motor, easy replace). Door handles of course, so many times. Sunroof lubrication, fixing of seals. Steering column linkage needing tightening or replacement.

Pretty much it, as long as no charge port door issue ;)