Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking at the used market for a Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Not so cool (sic) is the climate control system. While it's good that there are vents for the rear passengers and the cooling is sufficient (and you can turn the cooling or heating on remotely of course) I can't see any left/right dual zone control option, which our old Mazda had.

Next, the sunroof and windows; I was expecting to be able to use the key to close both remotely; not managed that yet.

You can desynch the climate so you have different left and right temperatures. I think you just press the synch button (to turn it off) and then the two control temps appear.

You can't close. or open, the windows etc with the fob. Annoyingly you used to be able to, like most cars, until some moron complained they had accidentally done that by sitting on the fob! So Tesla removed that useful feature for all us.

James

You can desynch the climate so you have different left and right temperatures. I think you just press the synch button (to turn it off) and then the two control temps appear.

You can't close. or open, the windows etc with the fob. Annoyingly you used to be able to, like most cars, until some moron complained they had accidentally done that by sitting on the fob! So Tesla removed that useful feature for all us.

James
Now that's interesting - I'll have a look at the sync control - thanks!

Lots of great information in this thread and the forum in general!

I'm in the market for a P90DL, preferably face lift. Even UK wide, there is not a huge amount of choice but i don't mind travelling for the right car.

Anyone care to offer any opinions on these cars and if they are known to the forum at all?

Auto Trader logo
Auto Trader logo

Alternative is this slightly older non facelift CPO where the additional warranty is appealing!
2015 Model S | Tesla UK

Also my usual webuyanycar lowvball benchmark test seems to value these around 40k which i assume suggests WBAC don't really want to trade in used teslas?

The model 3 is probably more suited to my requirements but i cant get on with the front end or interior. Plus i'm expecting depreciation to be a little better on the 3 year old S than a brand new 3...

Another issue is that ive only ever driven or been in a brand new 100D and not sure if there are many PXXXDL owners in central Scotland to have a chat with!

Cheers,
Nick

Lots of great information in this thread and the forum in general!

I'm in the market for a P90DL, preferably face lift. Even UK wide, there is not a huge amount of choice but i don't mind travelling for the right car.

Anyone care to offer any opinions on these cars and if they are known to the forum at all?

Auto Trader logo
Auto Trader logo

Alternative is this slightly older non facelift CPO where the additional warranty is appealing!
2015 Model S | Tesla UK

Also my usual webuyanycar lowvball benchmark test seems to value these around 40k which i assume suggests WBAC don't really want to trade in used teslas?

The model 3 is probably more suited to my requirements but i cant get on with the front end or interior. Plus i'm expecting depreciation to be a little better on the 3 year old S than a brand new 3...

Another issue is that ive only ever driven or been in a brand new 100D and not sure if there are many PXXXDL owners in central Scotland to have a chat with!

Cheers,
Nick
Personally I would buy used from Tesla - simply for the warranty and if you time it right, like the blue one above, the price can be ludicrously low (it will lower everyday). However having said that Tesla have now removed free supercharging for life. They do make it up as they go so you have to check the details.

Having bought a P90DL a few months back the main issue for me has been the battery spec. I would absolutely not buy another P90DL without access to the battery version. I feel I have been deceived as my 2016 original P90DL has a V1 battery that cannot deliver the advertised P90DL performance (0 to 60 in 2.6 seconds). Also the range is not brilliant and Tesla will will hide the actual range from you when you buy from them. They only advertise new range in the style of Arthur Daley - obviously advertising real range would be far too honest and logical.

James

Reactions: Rooster6655
Thanks James. Yes, I am leaning towards COP and warranty as reliability and repair costs of anything excluding battery and motors is a bit of an unknown / worry.

I put in a contact request to get more detail about the blue one but heard nothing as yet. The private red one seems to have sold since yesterday's post.

Free supercharging is a nice to have but not that fussed. there is currently only 1 in edinburgh and it's not that handy. Free charge Scotland locations at train station much handier!

That doesn't sound great about the v1 battery. I had no idea. How do you check this and what impact has it had in your cars performance?

What sort of realistic range should I expect if its driven quite hard on a 20mile round trip daily commute?

20m round trip?
It's a Tesla not an Ebike!

I do cycle it (no ebike though)when the weather is nice in the summer. For the 99% rest of the time it will be car and charge at the station. The train is electric if that counts though!

Looking forward to free charging for now and more convenient than the petrol station detour and barely 200miles per 70quid fill up!

That doesn't sound great about the v1 battery. I had no idea. How do you check this and what impact has it had in your cars performance?

What sort of realistic range should I expect if its driven quite hard on a 20mile round trip daily commute?

Battery version you can only check by looking at the battery sticker in the front right wheel well. Tesla will not give you this information. Performance wise daily driving probably nothing to notice. Awesome drive and I do love it. ICE cars are quite annoying to drive now - I have a couple to sell!

Range wise I get 75% of what the car tells me I would get from "Typical" range. So that is normal day to day booting it whenever I can. My commute is 36 miles (80 % motorway) and I use 50 miles odd of range. Obviously you can modify your driving and get your Wh/mile figure down to increase range. My 100 % typical range is now around 238 miles. It has dropped since buying from 244 miles in April. This is normal 90 V1 battery degradation and is around 10 % down from when new. My hope is my battery will fail and I will get the proper ludicrous V3 battery.

James

'Looking forward to free charging for now and more convenient than the petrol station detour and barely 200miles per 70quid fill up!'

Your problem will be that your charge will add about 160 miles minimum and you use 10 there and 10 back. 1 charge a week!

Thanks for all the info James. Will keep an eye out on battery spec. The pricing does seem to be all over the place for cpo cars. 60k mile p90d has been 48k then 52 then back to 48 in the last 24 hours. I've requested a call back for a few and heard nothing which is a bit annoying. Wonder if it's better to phone local 'dealer' to discuss and get actual photos.

Iain- I dont see any issue with that charging pattern? What do you mean by problem?

Current car is an audi s4 with different supercharger pulley. Makes no differnce on normal driving but it's a bit thirsty when rushing for the train when combined with quiet country roads!

Iain- I dont see any issue with that charging pattern? What do you mean by problem?

It was posted as though there would be a daily charge to overcome the 2 short journeys. That, of course, would very quickly leave a fully charged car, occupying a charge space.

Ah, got you. It's a park and ride so plenty other spaces just not right at the front, alot tighter and higher potential for door dings!

Although in saying that, the charge spaces are almost always empty. Until the day they are all filled up with brand new M3s courtesy of the EST loan!

Ah, got you. It's a park and ride so plenty other spaces just not right at the front, alot tighter and higher potential for door dings!

Although in saying that, the charge spaces are almost always empty. Until the day they are all filled up with brand new M3s courtesy of the EST loan!
Hope you had better luck than I did yesterday.
1 occupied and one ice'd. Reported it to Council, with pics.

That's certainly a plausible explanation - combined with manufacturing residues on the Rolec connector perhaps. But not really very likely unless it's in combination with the Rolec connector being at extreme tolerance and so only just making connection.

Not that I have ever heard of.
@arg Thought you might be interested to know I think we've licked the hinge charging problem. The fitter changed the Mode 3 module but charging reliability remained erratic - no good for tuned charging for our off-peak tariff. To cut a long story short, we detected by accident that just slightly disturbing the plug connector caused charging to stop. Since installing a new cable and plug everything has been rock solid.

Reactions: arg
We are looking for a used MS too. Ideally a 85/90 variant. From my hours of research so far I am struggling to understand how you can assess objectively the condition of the battery ie both its current capacity and whether charging rate has been throttled or might be in the near future? I don't want to buy a car I'm expecting to take x mins to supercharge only to find it takes x + 20 or worse down the line. There appears to be no resource available to find out for sure and Tesla are hopeless if you phone them and you are not the owner.
Is the 75 battery affected by these battery/charge-gate issues? What about the 100? Thanks.
Are there any 100 cars out there that came with free supercharging for life?